Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freebrickproductions

I also found these guys in Madison County, AL just outside of Huntsville back in November, but forgot to post them:
Odd arrow signs by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

D-Dey65

Quote from: freebrickproductions on April 25, 2017, 09:25:28 PM
And in similar vain, apparently Jackson County, AL was to embarrassed by CR 591 for some reason and removed their name from this shield:
CR 591 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Either that, or maybe a part of Jackson County was trying to separate and form their own county.

:spin: :crazy:

jakeroot

This "Divided Highway" sign, posted leaving the parking lot from an Incredible Universe a Fry's Electronics in Wilsonville, Oregon, is a bit misleading (at least in my opinion). Here's a Maps link...tell me what you think: https://goo.gl/V0gDNj

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: 2009 MUTCDStandard:
On unsignalized minor-street approaches from which both left turns and right turns are permitted onto a divided highway that has a median width at the intersection itself of 30 feet or more ... a Divided Highway Crossing (R6-3 or R6-3a) sign [the sign in jakeroot's picture] shall be used to advise road users that they are approaching an intersection with a divided highway.

That's definitely not 30 feet, so...

formulanone

Quote from: freebrickproductions on April 25, 2017, 09:25:28 PM
And in similar vain, apparently Jackson County, AL was to embarrassed by CR 591 for some reason and removed their name from this shield:

I think some of the county names are removed because the sign is only used for emergency/911 purposes; I have seen a few from nearby De Kalb County which also remove or block the words.

MNHighwayMan

I forgot I took this picture about a month ago, and just now remembered it: another display of weird Iowan street blades, this time in rural Cherokee County at the junction of IA-3 and 7

jbnv

These arrows.

I'm pretty sure that this is not the correct color scheme for regulatory signage.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

PHLBOS

Saw this odd-looking MA 38 reassurance marker just north of the I-95/MA 128 interchange.

Here's its southern counterpart, south of the interchange.

Even odder is that the supplemental MA 128 trailblazer signage at the interchange are standard MassDOT-issue.  Not sure what the deal is with the above MA 38 installs.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jbnv

They look like Wisconsin county shields.

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 02, 2017, 11:03:57 AM
Saw this odd-looking MA 38 reassurance marker just north of the I-95/MA 128 interchange.

Even odder is that the supplemental MA 128 trailblazer signage at the interchange are standard MassDOT-issue.  Not sure what the deal is with the above MA 38 installs.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Ian

I know it's a contractor error, but I like those significantly more than I like Mass's current shields.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Brandon

Quote from: Ian on May 02, 2017, 12:27:45 PM

I know it's a contractor error, but I like those significantly more than I like Mass's current shields.

They look like modified Wisconsin county highway shields with "MA" in place of "COUNTY".
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

D-Dey65

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 05, 2017, 09:33:25 AM
Along I-195 eastbound in Providence, RI; one jumbo-sized 2 and arrow to go please.

Nice, a rare sighting of Series F out in the wild.

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

MNHighwayMan

D-Dey65

Quote from: freebrickproductions on April 25, 2017, 10:28:03 PM
I also found these guys in Madison County, AL just outside of Huntsville back in November, but forgot to post them:
I saw similar object markers on some Google Street View searches of the Northern Rockies while doing research on Interstate Business Routes in that region, but they were white and fluorescent orange, and completely surrounded the directional signs.

jay8g

plain

Quote from: Ian on May 06, 2017, 12:02:57 AM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 05, 2017, 06:17:00 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on May 05, 2017, 09:33:25 AM
Along I-195 eastbound in Providence, RI; one jumbo-sized 2 and arrow to go please.

Nice, a rare sighting of Series F out in the wild.

You'd love New York.

The mile marker in that pic... how long have NY been doing that? I haven't been up there in a while
Newark born, Richmond bred

vdeane

Quote from: plain on May 08, 2017, 08:33:31 AM
You'd love New York.
The mile marker in that pic... how long have NY been doing that? I haven't been up there in a while
That's a Region 1 thing... and not the current style.  New tenth mile markers in Region 1 use the standard MUTCD marker (the one that's the same size as the one shown, without the shield/direction).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

chays

MNHighwayMan

This warning sign in Ankeny, IA, out in front of Ashland Ridge Elementary School:

Pretty sure it should instead be a regulatory lane control sign, but instead, they put this up. :eyebrow:

plain

Quote from: vdeane on May 08, 2017, 01:04:10 PM
Quote from: plain on May 08, 2017, 08:33:31 AM
You'd love New York.
That's a Region 1 thing... and not the current style.  New tenth mile markers in Region 1 use the standard MUTCD marker (the one that's the same size as the one shown, without the shield/direction).

Oh ok... that white part at the bottom kinda threw me off
Newark born, Richmond bred

Mapmikey

Found this unusual sign on US 64 Business in Columbia NC last weekend.  Something normally associated with boating...

There was one in each direction.  I guess during heavy rains the high street curb pools a lot of water in the road and there are houses and/or yards that get water being pushed over the curb by fast moving vehicles...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.