News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

'The Power Broker,' 40 Years Later

Started by cpzilliacus, December 13, 2014, 04:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

N.Y. Times: "˜The Power Broker,' 40 Years Later

QuoteWorking on "The Power Broker"  – researching it, writing it – took me seven years, and when I finished I was sure I never wanted to see it again. For a long time after it was published (in 1974, 40 years ago), for a couple of decades probably, I never opened the book. When, more recently, I occasionally did so, it was only to read a chapter or two to prepare myself for a lecture or an interview I was giving, certainly never to read it all the way through to the last line. This year, however, because PEN asked me to annotate the book, I did read it all the way through, and I was glad I did, because when I got to that final sentence, I suddenly remembered something I had long since forgotten: The moment when I thought of that sentence – and how much that moment meant to me.

QuoteThe year was probably 1969. I had finished most of my research and interviewing, and had accumulated a huge amount of material – so much that I couldn't get my mind around it all, couldn't see it whole, couldn't organize it, and therefore couldn't start turning it into a book. I had been struggling with that problem, for what in my memory seems many weeks, with no success at all.

QuoteAnd then, all at once, as I was reading yet again through my documents and interview notes, there came into my mind a scene I had witnessed several years before.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.