News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

"Keep min 2 dots apart" signs?

Started by noelbotevera, January 09, 2016, 05:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

Despite the same concept being used in other places, and using different objects (chevrons, botts dots, etc.), I'd say that the pavement dots are pretty much a PA exclusive. Then again, PA has tons of exclusive signage (like the "truck grade map" signs).
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Duke87

Quote from: jemacedo9 on January 09, 2016, 05:26:56 PM
Those yellow signs are in several places across PA...but the white dots I've only seen in two other places in PA:  PA 147 between where the freeway ends and Northumberland, and I THINK on I-80 in the East Stroudsburg area.  If they're not on I-80 now, I feel like they were there maybe 10 years ago?

I've never seen the dots in any of my travels outside of PA.

I distinctly remember the dots being on I-80 in that area on a trip to Cleveland in the summer of 2004. But I want to say they were gone by the subsequent time I was on that stretch of road (summer 2010) and they most certainly are not still there today.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Duke87 on January 10, 2016, 09:08:27 PM
Quote from: jemacedo9 on January 09, 2016, 05:26:56 PM
Those yellow signs are in several places across PA...but the white dots I've only seen in two other places in PA:  PA 147 between where the freeway ends and Northumberland, and I THINK on I-80 in the East Stroudsburg area.  If they're not on I-80 now, I feel like they were there maybe 10 years ago?

I've never seen the dots in any of my travels outside of PA.

I distinctly remember the dots being on I-80 in that area on a trip to Cleveland in the summer of 2004. But I want to say they were gone by the subsequent time I was on that stretch of road (summer 2010) and they most certainly are not still there today.

https://goo.gl/maps/cgsbfp9xEGF2

They are noticeable in the 2009 view but gone in 2011.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

hbelkins

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on January 09, 2016, 10:10:33 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 09, 2016, 09:41:58 PM
I've seen them on PA 322 in the State College area and on I-80. I guess the combination of pavement markings and regulatory signs can give police cause to pull over drivers who follow too closely.

I need not explain what's wrong with this sentence.

Knowing PennDOT, there's probably a PA 322 sign somewhere.  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hbelkins

Looked through my photos. Here are a couple from I-80 eastbound.

And here are three from US 322 east of State College.

hbelkins

Looked through my photos. Here are a couple from I-80 eastbound.

And here are three from US 322 east of State College.

froggie

Regarding the OP, MnDOT had something similar posted/painted on MN 55 in Wright County.  I'm not sure if it's still there.

english si

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 09, 2016, 07:51:28 PMEdited to add a picture I found, though I don't know which motorway this is:
Looks like it is the M4 section (J16-J17 IIRC) you describe. Though it could be the M1 J16-J17 (I believe that has those chevrons). It isn't the M62 over the Pennines or the M6 north of Preston. Interestingly, the places where it is deployed are always rural with big spaces between exits, but lots of traffic.

The French have it a lot (even though their edge lines provide a similar function), and the UK copied it from them.

Rothman

I've seen these signs; I hate them.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

Rothman

I just don't think they do much good.  It's also yet another thing the driver has to worry about.  Those blasted dots and worrying about somehow keeping two between you and the car ahead of you is distracting.  Might concentrate on the dots more than the brake lights of the car you're trying to keep the dots behind of. 

Besides, as soon as the dots go away, traffic resumes its old habits anyhow.  Just seems like a lot of paint and signage for little benefit.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Brandon

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 10, 2016, 04:53:30 PM
The plowable version are simply called 'plowable reflectors'.

Or "embedded reflectors".  They typically have a steel frame around the reflector.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

qguy

Quote from: Rothman on January 11, 2016, 11:46:34 AM
Just seems like a lot of paint and signage for little benefit.

I always thought the same thing. When I worked for PennDOT I'd pass them from time to time as I traveled around the state. Every time I encountered them, I'd silently roll my eyes.

jakeroot

Like almost every traffic law, there seems to be places that it works better than others. On the last page, Kniwt posted about WSDOT using the dots along I-5, north of Olympia. The dots were so effective, that even during rush hour, people kept a 160 foot gap (which ended up causing huge traffic jams). Apparently, Washington State drivers will do anything a sign tells them to.

I'm not certain I like their use along two-lane highways, however. If someone is travelling below the speed limit, and you intend to pass, you shouldn't start overtaking from that far back. Hopefully people have the intelligence to simply ignore the dots for that period of time.

jeffandnicole

At least in PA, the dots are used in rural areas and area not prone to congestion.

It's like anything else...it's a good reminder, but in the long run probably not terribly effective.  Such as news stories on a yearly basis gives us advice of how to drive in the snow.  Most people aren't going to remember it, and besides, they know how to drive.  Everyone else is the idiot that can't drive.

cl94

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 10, 2016, 07:00:32 PM
Then again, PA has tons of exclusive signage (like the "truck grade map" signs).

Not exclusive. NYSDOT regions 2 and 4 use them in several locations.

As far as "Bott's Dots", they technically refer only to nonreflective raised pavement markers that are roundish. Stimsonite reflective markers (whether recessed or on the surface) and cat's eyes are not the same thing.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

sbeaver44

Quote from: hbelkins on January 10, 2016, 10:01:18 PM
I've seen them on PA 322 in the State College area and on I-80. I guess the combination of pavement markings and regulatory signs can give police cause to pull over drivers who follow too closely.

There is a PA 322 sign near the Lebanon/Lancaster county border eastbound a few miles after the PA 72 exit.

Also, I remember a set of these dots between Exits 37 and 44 on North I-81, somewhere right around the 40 MM.

74/171FAN

Quote from: sbeaver44 on January 15, 2016, 04:19:19 PM
Also, I remember a set of these dots between Exits 37 and 44 on North I-81, somewhere right around the 40 MM.

I have driven that portion of I-81 a lot over the past year and never saw them.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

noelbotevera

Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 15, 2016, 05:05:20 PM

There is a PA 322 sign near the Lebanon/Lancaster county border eastbound a few miles after the PA 72 exit.

Gonna guess he meant exit 67 to 72, around the 70 MM, where US 322 ends its multiplex.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

sbeaver44

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 15, 2016, 05:27:50 PM

Gonna guess he meant exit 67 to 72, around the 70 MM, where US 322 ends its multiplex.

No, I'm talking about the Cornwall Bypass, north of the Turnpike Exit 266 where US 322 meets PA 72.

sbeaver44

I used to commute to Shippensburg, but this was several years ago.  They were in bad shape then, and probably have been paved over now.

noelbotevera

Quote from: sbeaver44 on January 15, 2016, 05:45:09 PM

I used to commute to Shippensburg, but this was several years ago.  They were in bad shape then, and probably have been paved over now.
Yup, they do not exist.

With the PA 322 signs, my brain failed and thought you were talking about the I-81/US 322 multiplex...wait a minute, there is a PA 322 sign somewhere around there!
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

MASTERNC

I thought Ontario had something like this on rural roads, except they used chevrons pointing in the direction of travel

1995hoo

Quote from: MASTERNC on January 15, 2016, 07:16:33 PM
I thought Ontario had something like this on rural roads, except they used chevrons pointing in the direction of travel

Further up the thread:

Quote from: cu2010 on January 10, 2016, 04:10:22 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 09, 2016, 07:51:28 PM
I seem to recall some conceptually-similar signs on the eastbound M4 somewhere east of Bristol (England) with a scheme that used chevrons instead of dots.

Ontario used to have them on the 401 at one point, though they are no longer in use.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webfil

Austria also uses dots on its motorways, but they are used to adopt a recommended speed in areas prone to fog when fog occurs.

In those areas, a succession of signs can be observed
1. In case of fog, pay attention to dots
2. Two dots perceptible = recommended speed of 60 km/h
3. One dot perceptible = recommended speed of 40 km/h

Dots are 33 metres one from another.

Same principle, different application

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.