News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 35E-35W split Texas and Minnesota

Started by ethanhopkin14, April 05, 2016, 03:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

I thought I read somewhere (maybe the Wiki) that in Texas, at the I-35E, I-35W split, there is a sign noting that I-35W is the quickest through route for long distance traveling.  I have driven to Dallas/Ft. Worth a billion times, at both splits (last time I was at the Denton split was January) and I have never seen such a sign.  I was wondering if there was such a sign in Minnesota letting drivers know that I-35E through St. Paul is the quicker through route.  Any info?

kphoger

I'm familiar with both cities, and I've never seen any such sign. FWIW, I've found 35W to be the fastest way through DFW, but I now refuse to drive through the city at all (my route to México now takes me through Abilene instead). I've only done 35W through MSP, and that was late in the evening; looking at the map, I don't know which one might be faster, although I suspect 35E might be.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

peterj920

Quote from: kphoger on April 06, 2016, 07:10:28 AM
I'm familiar with both cities, and I've never seen any such sign. FWIW, I've found 35W to be the fastest way through DFW, but I now refuse to drive through the city at all (my route to México now takes me through Abilene instead). I've only done 35W through MSP, and that was late in the evening; looking at the map, I don't know which one might be faster, although I suspect 35E might be.

35E in the Twin Cities has a parkway section signed at 45 mph between I-494 and I-94 which doesn't allow trucks.  I don't know how it's allowed to have an interstate status.  I don't think there would be a reccomendation to take one route over the other because they both travel through cities.  The bypass route (494/694) in MSP would most likely be reccomended.  Along I-94, there are signs telling traffic that wishes to bypass Minneapolis/St. Paul to use I-694, that's probably the closest to what you're looking for.

kphoger

The only time I've driven all the way through Dallas instead of Fort Worth (round-trip in March 2009), I bypassed downtown by using Loop-12, Spur-408, and I-20. The last time I drove through Fort Worth (July 2014), the entire northbound roadway of I-35W was closed due to an accident involving a truck; I turned around and used I-820, TX-183, TX-121, and TX-114 to get around it; half that route was under construction and had a small accident of its own. That was the day after we lost a wheel bearing in the middle of the Mexican desert and so got into our motel after midnight. No more! said I.

Now we cut down I-44 from OKC to Wichita Falls, then take US-277 all the way to Del Rio. When we arrive at the border now, people say, What? we're already here? wow! that was pleasant.

Come to think of it, I have indeed driven straight through MSP on both 35W and 35E. Southbound was through Saint Paul, while northbound was through Minneapolis (not during the same trip, though). I don't remember either route being particularly annoying, although there was one stretch of 35W along which I was really glad I was traveling opposite the afternoon rush, or else I would have been stuck.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

froggie

Quote from: peterj92035E in the Twin Cities has a parkway section signed at 45 mph between I-494 and I-94 which doesn't allow trucks.  I don't know how it's allowed to have an interstate status.

Legal settlement...that's how.

Regarding the OP, there are no such signs approaching the Twin Cities, but now that Cayuga Bridge construction is largely finished, I would imagine I-35E would have some of an edge on travel time over I-35W, even with the 45 MPH parkway section.  It's also worth noting that I-35E is about 2.5 miles shorter than I-35W.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.