News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Alternate US 220 Extended

Started by PAHighways, April 09, 2010, 10:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAHighways

Mark Twain once said, "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated," and it seems that quote could be used to describe Alternate US 220.

Last night I received an e-mail saying that the route has been extended south of Martha's Furnace into Port Matilda, then up old 322 to the I-99/US 220 diamond interchange at Exit 61.  No mention of Business 220 being extended north of Bald Eagle.

So far no change to the Centre County Type-10 Map.

hbelkins

Quote from: PAHighways on April 09, 2010, 10:08:48 PM
Mark Twain once said, "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated," and it seems that quote could be used to describe Alternate US 220.

Last night I received an e-mail saying that the route has been extended south of Martha's Furnace into Port Matilda, then up old 322 to the I-99/US 220 diamond interchange at Exit 61.  No mention of Business 220 being extended north of Bald Eagle.

So far no change to the Centre County Type-10 Map.

It was no longer signed, was it? Wonder if it'll be signed now?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

PAHighways

Quote from: hbelkins on April 09, 2010, 10:26:15 PMIt was no longer signed, was it? Wonder if it'll be signed now?

The trailblazers are still posted between I-80 and the trumpet where US 220 and US 322 used to split, complete with an "END" assembly there.  It used to be posted on the guide signs for Exit 158, but the new ones only mention PA 150 which made it seem like it was going to be decommissioned.

rickmastfan67

I'll make a note to check this out the next time I'm up in that area unless somebody else beats me to this to take pictures.

treichard

The END sign is still at the trumpet, or it's at Exit 61 now?
Map your cumulative highway travel
Clinched Highway Mapping
http://cmap.m-plex.com/

PAHighways

I would imagine that it has been moved.

LeftyJR

Quote from: treichard on April 13, 2010, 03:23:12 PM
The END sign is still at the trumpet, or it's at Exit 61 now?

I snapped a picture of the "end" sign going southbound as well as a few other southbound pics this past weekend. It ends in Port Matilda at the exit 61 interchange.  There is a lot of signage along the route as well...it is well marked.   I'll post them in the next few days. 

LeftyJR

I finally got them updated.  Most of these pics are taken southbound, including the "end" sign in Port Matilda.  Any reason why this wasn't extended to Bald Eagle?

rickmastfan67

Nice.  Thanks for posting those pictures. :thumbsup:

PAHighways

Quote from: LeftyJR on June 05, 2010, 07:52:24 AMAny reason why this wasn't extended to Bald Eagle?

When I was there last year during the State College Meet, I remember colored detour signs at the old 220/322 intersection.  My guess would be instead of using a colored detour route, PennDOT extended ALT US 220 to that point to create a detour route for when 99/220 gets too treacherous over Skytop during Winter storms.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.