Signs With Design Errors

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, June 29, 2012, 08:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: vtk on September 27, 2012, 05:21:37 PM
The clipart artist may have remembered yellow stopsigns from his childhood, or possibly even some still standing years after red became the standard.  From a clipart perspective, a yellow stopsign might be preferable to a red one for a few different reasons, and including both a red one and a yellow one in a clipart set would certainly make sense.

I have not seen a yellow STOP sign (on a street) since the mid-1960's, when the remaining ones in my childhood neighborhood of Silver Spring, Montgomery County, Maryland, were replaced with red ones.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

agentsteel53

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 28, 2012, 10:55:16 AM

I have not seen a yellow STOP sign (on a street) since the mid-1960's, when the remaining ones in my childhood neighborhood of Silver Spring, Montgomery County, Maryland, were replaced with red ones.

they are getting tougher to find, but I can offhand name maybe 4 that are on active public right of way, another 10 more that intersect active public right of way but are on a now-private road (or a non-road!), and then another 10-15 that are on private property, not counting the "STOP - Seat belt fastened?" which is ubiquitous in the Rockies area.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

I know offhand of two STOPs and a YIELD in NY and one STOP in NJ, all on public roads. And that's without putting any thought into this.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, there's like 50,000 yellow yield signs in Groom, TX. Or at least 5.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on September 28, 2012, 06:48:56 PM
I know offhand of two STOPs and a YIELD in NY and one STOP in NJ, all on public roads. And that's without putting any thought into this.

two in NY?  the only one I know is the cateyed STOP DEAD END on US-9 in Ossining. 

I believe the one in Rochester is on an abandoned road, but correct me if I'm wrong.

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 28, 2012, 06:53:19 PM
Quote from: Steve on September 28, 2012, 06:48:56 PM

two in NY?  the only one I know is the cateyed STOP DEAD END on US-9 in Ossining. 

I believe the one in Rochester is on an abandoned road, but correct me if I'm wrong.
There's one at the end of NY 85 on a side road that seems to be public.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on September 28, 2012, 07:10:58 PM

There's one at the end of NY 85 on a side road that seems to be public.

never knew that!

now that I think about it, someone I know found one on an abandoned road somewhere near an old alignment of NY-3.  not in service.

there is also one on a gate which opens up from a maintenance yard to the Thruway.  not a public road, but it is likely the one seen (or, at least, passed) by the most traffic on an AADT basis.

it is embossed, with a yellow back, and one can figure out what it is.

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

In case you're wondering, here is the one along NY 85 that Steve mentioned...

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

that looks astonishingly new.  has it been repainted?

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 28, 2012, 08:46:51 PM
that looks astonishingly new.  has it been repainted?

I wouldn't doubt it. No way it could've lasted so long outside and be in that condition today.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

on_wisconsin

Quote from: kphoger on September 24, 2012, 06:18:16 PM
Noticed this one on my way home from church last night:
White border on yellow panel
[image]

Looks like they where using the MnDOT standard treatment for "EXIT ONLY" sections. :coffee:
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

cpzilliacus

I think this might be a design error. Or some other error. Wouldn't "Right Turn No Stop" make more sense?

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

vtk

The wording used in Ohio is [stop] "except right turn".
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Central Avenue

I've seen "except on right turn" used as well, which sounds a bit more awkward than simply "except right turn".

IIRC it's the "except right turn" variation that made it into the 2009 MUTCD.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

1995hoo

Wow, you learn something new every day. I've never seen a stop sign with an auxiliary plaque like that.

Closest I've seen is at some red lights in Mexico where they had a right-turn arrow with the words "Continua con Precaucion." These were on Cozumel, so the signs were hand-painted, too.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vtk

To be honest I'm not entirely sure if it's the version with or without the word "on" that I usually see.  I can only think of one example (Cooke Rd EB at I-71 NB entrance); GSV shows the 4-word version, below a stop sign with the slightly older style "S" too.

From the perspective of natural English, perhaps "except when turning right" or "unless turning right" would be better legends.  Logically closer to the intended meaning but less intuitive would be "or turn right".

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 29, 2012, 08:09:24 AM
Wow, you learn something new every day. I've never seen a stop sign with an auxiliary plaque like that.

I snapped that image in Milford, Delaware (wrong), pardon me, Harrington, Delaware.

GSV here.

Edit: corrected error above and added link to Google Street View.

hbelkins

"Except When Turning Right" is the language West Virginia uses.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Closest I've seen is at some red lights in Mexico where they had a right-turn arrow with the words "Continua con Precaucion." These were on Cozumel, so the signs were hand-painted, too.

I've never seen one either.

The Mexican sign you saw is likely to permit right turn on red after stopping, since that maneuver is prohibited in most jurisdictions in México.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vtk

Sounds like the equivalent to the US "continuous right turn with caution".  Sometimes the words "right turn" are replaced with a standard right-turn arrow graphic.  Some examples: I-71 SB exit 104 ramp at Frank Rd; I-270 NB exit 17 ramp at Tuttle Crossing Blvd; US 42 SB splitting from US 23 SB.

Alps

"Except Right Turn" was the PennDOT sign, the one thing PennDOT's ever done right, and the MUTCD managed to pick up on it.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on September 29, 2012, 02:52:47 PM

I've never seen one either.

The Mexican sign you saw is likely to permit right turn on red after stopping, since that maneuver is prohibited in most jurisdictions in México.

That's how I interpreted the Mexican sign, and I guess I was right since nobody honked at me.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on September 29, 2012, 08:07:45 PM
"Except Right Turn" was the PennDOT sign, the one thing PennDOT's ever done right, and the MUTCD managed to pick up on it.

Which (in your opinion) is worse - PennDOT or the PTC?

I think they are equally bad.

Roadsguy

I like PennDOT better. Maybe it's the way they stripe it slightly differently than the PTC. :P
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

national highway 1

This gantry on I-5 in San Diego; is it me or is the Exit 7B sign a little cramped? Are the 'EXIT ONLY' tabs with white arrow common practice elsewhere in California?
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Alps

Quote from: national highway 1 on October 11, 2012, 12:39:01 AM
This gantry on I-5 in San Diego; is it me or is the Exit 7B sign a little cramped? Are the 'EXIT ONLY' tabs with white arrow common practice elsewhere in California?

As my last update and next update keep saying, don't ever expect Caltrans to do anything consistently, or correctly. They mastered the art of guide signing in the 1950s and didn't touch it until the 2000s - that's right, a freeway opening in 2000 still had non-reflective background button copy! So they will have to catch up, but they are too stubborn to just play nice.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.