News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

60 Most Dangerous Intersections in New England

Started by southshore720, January 23, 2013, 05:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southshore720

NE2

#1 was under construction during part of the 3-year period (and 2-3 are adjacent).

13 deaths total? Something tells me they forgot to include non-motorist deaths.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Kacie Jane

I'm... unimpressed by the journalism at work here.  Most of the photos seem to just be randomly selected stock photos of damaged cars (the majority of which have out-of-state plates), and the remainder are photos of presumably the correct highway, but not necessarily the correct intersection.  (I was especially amused by the photo they used for #41, CT 127 @ Stillman.  They used the 1/2 mile advance on I-95 -- hey, look, here's a photo of a 127 shield -- when Stillman is a full mile off the freeway.)

Then you have the numbers, which are supposedly the 3-year totals, but seem to keep having decimals creep in (how does I-91 have 0.6 fatalities?), on top of at least one slide which is missing the figures entirely.  Also, shouldn't property damage probably be in a dollar amount, rather than number of incidents which had property damage?

KEVIN_224

One they should've included is when you come up the ramp from the Alewife T station at the edge of Cambridge, MA, getting onto MA Route 2 West. My friend had a "fun" time there one evening this past August.

southshore720

I have a feeling they put a map of New England on a corkboard and just started to shoot darts at it.  There were so many horrible intersections that were omitted.  I also agree that some of the stock photos were laughable.  I also hope that I am never "partially" deceased on I-91!

Kevin, I agree that the end of the MA 2 freeway is extremely dangerous.  Also omitted was the on-ramp from RI 116 North to RI 146 South.  There is no room to merge and cars are easily flying down that stretch at 70-75 MPH.  There should be a stop sign at the end of the ramp (like portions of the CT 15), but instead, there is a yield.  An ARRA project was supposed to partially remedy this ramp, but it never happened.

jp the roadgeek

Yeah, I don't like how the writer uses mileposts rather than the intersection.  Route 69 in CT doesn't even have mileposts, so I'm trying to figure out if that's the intersection with I-84, the corner by Brass City Mall, the intersection with Meriden Rd., Frost St, or Wolcott St.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

bob7374

Any coincidence that this is a Providence paper and most of the top 10 worst intersections are along I-95 or I-295 in the Providence area? Also, all the worst MA intersections are lumped in the 20s, not before or after, that doesn't seem very probable. I agree that closest listed intersection to me, in Weymouth, was dangerous, but they just completed a 2-year project that vastly improved it. It pays to be careful everywhere you drive, not just in specific 'dangerous' places.

BamaZeus

I like that the picture for the #56 intersection seems to be from a 1950's NASCAR race

kurumi

#22 indicates some sort of chronologic anomaly in Fall River: street cars and businessmen in hats. I'd avoid the area too.

"CT Route 69/Mile marker 18.39-18.49" is between Lakewood Rd and Stillson Rd in Waterbury, north of I-84 and the mall (thanks to highway log)

"CT Rte. 15/Mile marker 46.42-47.03" is from CT 69/63 interchange leading to the tunnel in New Haven

"US Rte. 44/Mile marker 53.63" is the end of the I-84 WB exit ramp in Hartford.

"US Rte. 5/Mile marker 9.35-9.36" is the Wharton Brook Connector (SR 702) terminus. This was upgraded recently because of known safety issues. This wouldn't be a hotspot if they had completed the freeway :-)

"CT Route 8/Mile marker 18.58-18.81" is along the viaduct over CT 67 (a sort of 3-D overlap)

"CT Route 287/Mile marker 1.58" is residential area, between 5/15 and CT 175

"CT Route 83/Mile marker 11.80-11.89" is at the end of the long I-84 EB exit ramp. Not sure what the issue is here; it's a fairly modern, straight section of road.

That CT 127 marker photo from I-95 looks *very* familiar.
* Providence site: http://www.golocalprov.com/images/remote/http_media.golocalprov.com/News/intct41.jpg
* my Route 127 page: http://www.kurumi.com/roads/ct/pics/ph-95nb-127.jpg

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

KEVIN_224

Wow! They did shotty research AND stole your picture? How dare they! :(

As for CT Route 287, it must be the lopsided intersection on the upper end of the Berlin Turnpike in Newington, near the retro McDonald's and Wendy's.

iwishiwascanadian

I was expecting the US-44/CT-10 intersection in Avon (on the infamous Avon Mountain) to make the list, ConnDOT has made some great improvements to US-44 over the mountain but more could be done if the money were there. 

jp the roadgeek

Another one not too far from that is the CT 4/ CT 10 intersection.  That whole stretch of CT 4 from the I-84 interchange down to Farmington center is one big bottleneck of merging and sharp corners.  Then throw in a quick 4 lane and re-merge on route 4 through the intersection, and the fact that the 2 CT 10 pieces aren't directily across from each other and get separate green lights, and you have a real malfunction junction. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

yakra

They even made up a fictitious street for #36.
(maybe they meant Congress and WestBROOK)
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.