News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Waldo-Hancock Bridge Removal

Started by BrianP, March 21, 2013, 04:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianP

Follow the removal, which is in progress, here:
http://www.maine.gov/mdot/whbridgeremoval/index.htm

I really should post the photos I took last year. 

SteveG1988

Is it just me or do most northern bridges take half a decade or more to tear down?

the old jamestown bridge was up for nearly 15 years before it was torn down?

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

BrianP

KEVIN_224

Awesome pictures! I wish the Zakim Bridge in Boston had an observatory like that! :)

Ian

I visited the bridge as well last July (photos here if anyone's interested). The bridge observatory is really cool in person! While I do enjoy the new bridge, I'm going to miss the old bridge even more. It's a shame MaineDOT couldn't have found a way to preserve it some how.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Duke87

I was there in the summer of 2005 when the new bridge was still under construction... I did not yet own a camera so I have no pictures of either.

What's perhaps odd is that while Maine is not all that far away, I have thus far only been to the state once...
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

Do they HAVE to take the old bridge down?  It has so much more character than the new one...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

BrianP

Quote from: vdeane on March 29, 2013, 11:13:50 AM
Do they HAVE to take the old bridge down?  It has so much more character than the new one...
Just a guess but it sounds like the cables are in such bad shape that the bridge might collapse under its own weight some day.  And you can't have that over an active waterway. 

Duke87

Quote from: BrianP on March 29, 2013, 01:06:39 PM
Quote from: vdeane on March 29, 2013, 11:13:50 AM
Just a guess but it sounds like the cables are in such bad shape that the bridge might collapse under its own weight some day.  And you can't have that over an active waterway.

Or right next to a new bridge that might be damaged by it if it falls.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

BrianP

I happened to check today and see that new photos have been posted today.  The concrete roadbed was removed.  And much of the road deck has also been removed.  How sad.

BrianP

Just noting that with today's web site update the bridge is gone.  No steel remains.  There's just the concrete piers where the towers stood which will soon be all that remains.

Pete from Boston

Wow, after so many years of delay (7?) that is stunningly fast.  It was indeed a beautiful bridge with incredible character.  It was a white elephant, though -- if they'd been able to maintain it, there wouldn't be a new bridge.

Glad I got to see it, but sad I never looked at it from the observatory.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.