News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Seattle-area and Washington photos

Started by Bruce, May 21, 2014, 06:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

Is that BRT line at the end of the soon to be BRT route or are they adding a station to an existing route?

Bruce

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 05, 2019, 07:21:50 PM
Is that BRT line at the end of the soon to be BRT route or are they adding a station to an existing route?

Brand new route, the second in a countywide network. It will intersect with the existing Swift Blue Line a few stops down from the airport, and also connect with a few major bus routes (including my own), but no express buses to Seattle because of a quirk in I-5 ramp placement.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Bruce on March 05, 2019, 09:40:56 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 05, 2019, 07:21:50 PM

Brand new route, the second in a countywide network. It will intersect with the existing Swift Blue Line a few stops down from the airport, and also connect with a few major bus routes (including my own), but no express buses to Seattle because of a quirk in I-5 ramp placement.
It's nice to see them being proactive about transit to the airport. In my hometown(OKC), mass transit is a complete after thought. They canceled the bus they had due to "low demand"  which was likely due to the fact that it was a glorified shuttle running twice a day or so and only certain days out of the week. BRT seems like it should be convenient enough to offer a viable alternative to driving to the airport.

Bruce

The BRT was actually planned a little before final approval for the airport project, as it mainly will be used to get workers to the Boeing plant that sits just north. The other terminus is a major suburban tech hub that includes a few Boeing offices, while a major suburb (Mill Creek) sits in between. The airport terminal itself is only about a quarter-mile from the BRT stops, with only two low-speed, low-traffic crosswalks before reaching the main road...all in all, a good compromise. There's also a bus route that will have door-to-door service to the main transit hub in Everett, via a long and winding route.

The next northern light rail expansion in 2036 will include a station near Paine Field, though the exact location will likely be determined in conjunction with future airport terminal expansions. Once that is finished, Paine will be about the same distance from Downtown Seattle as Sea-Tac by rail, at around 40 minutes...and that doesn't include the long walk to the terminal from Sea-Tac Station.

abefroman329

Quote from: Bruce on March 05, 2019, 06:28:46 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on March 05, 2019, 06:37:30 AM
That departures board is gorgeous.

It's a digital replica of the classic Solari boards. We need way more of these in non-essential areas of airports, just for their aesthetic quality.
I realize it's impractical and expensive, but we should've kept the classic Solari boards, or started manufacturing more split-flap mechanical boards.

I wonder if there's someone out there saying "we should've kept maintaining departure/arrival information on chalkboards, hand-written by an agent"

jakeroot

Totally agree. I'd buy a damn plane ticket just to see that board!

Were you part of a media event?

Great photos as usual. I would love to know if the PSRC is considering a southern relief airport as well (though it helps already that Seatac is south of Seattle, though not by much, especially for Olympia residents).

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on March 06, 2019, 02:11:51 PM
Totally agree. I'd buy a damn plane ticket just to see that board!

Were you part of a media event?

Great photos as usual. I would love to know if the PSRC is considering a southern relief airport as well (though it helps already that Seatac is south of Seattle, though not by much, especially for Olympia residents).

I was part of the media event and got credentialed in. For those of us who weren't able to board the plane, we got a printed boarding pass with a standby for a non-existent flight, then went through TSA like the rest. It was a pretty neat way of clinching an airport. :P

Bruce

Tuesday was so nice that I decided to sweat it out in the heat and visit a few skyline vantages.

Ella Bailey Park, Magnolia

Kerry Park

Rizal Bridge

Westlake & Galer

Morning commute on I-5

Columbia Center Observatory

Mount Baker Ridge

And looking across the water at Bellevue and Mercer Island:

Bruce

A few shots of the Alaskan Way Viaduct demolition work taken last week at Columbia Street.

And two shots from the SR 520 Floating Bridge a few weeks earlier.

paulthemapguy

I kind of feel like mourning the demolition of the Alaskan Way Viaduct, but that desire is overshadowed by my looking forward to how awesome the Seattle skyline is going to look, unobstructed.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Bruce

A United Express jet coming to land at Paine Field, with SR 526 and the Boeing flightline (including the first testframe 777X) in the background.

Bruce

Panorama from the water taxi taken yesterday:

Full resolution version available here on Wikimedia Commons

nexus73

Quote from: Bruce on August 14, 2019, 12:52:10 PM
Panorama from the water taxi taken yesterday:

Full resolution version available here on Wikimedia Commons

Wonderful view!  I had a similar one from around Bellevue back in the Eighties.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

compdude787

^ Boy, it sure looks different without the viaduct!!

Bruce

A few pictures of East Link construction taken last week. I'll have more for the Seattle Transit Blog once I'm finished with Railvolution.

Redmond Technology Station:

Overlake Village Station:

Bel-Red/130th Station:

Spring District/120th Station:

South Bellevue Station:

Mercer Island Station:

I-90 floating bridge:

Verlanka

Quote from: compdude787 on September 07, 2019, 09:20:15 PM
^ Boy, it sure looks different without the viaduct!!
Completely different, that is.

Bruce

A few skyline shots from yesterday:

jakeroot

I think they need to trim a couple of those trees at Kerry Park.

Great shots! Seattle sure is thickening up. We need a before/after shot from Kerry Park.

nexus73

What is the middle section of the I-90 floating bridge for?  Reversible lanes?  Light rail?

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Rothman

What's a donut hole for?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Bruce

Quote from: nexus73 on October 03, 2019, 10:25:12 AM
What is the middle section of the I-90 floating bridge for?  Reversible lanes?  Light rail?

Rick

Light rail. The Link Blue Line will be the first railway in the world to cross a floating bridge (using some new solutions) and should open in 2023 (if not earlier).

nexus73

Quote from: Bruce on October 03, 2019, 05:07:33 PM

Rick

Light rail. The Link Blue Line will be the first railway in the world to cross a floating bridge (using some new solutions) and should open in 2023 (if not earlier).

Thank you for letting me know Bruce.

Rick

stevashe

Quote from: nexus73 on October 03, 2019, 06:13:35 PM
Quote from: Bruce on October 03, 2019, 05:07:33 PM

Rick

Thank you for letting me know Bruce.

Rick

It was reversible lanes before the light rail construction started, however.

Bruce

From earlier today: some traffic congestion on I-5 at NE 145th Street. You can see a strip of land on the right shoulder being prepared for light rail construction.

Bruce

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.