News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-69 Ohio River Bridge

Started by truejd, August 05, 2010, 10:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sykotyk

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 30, 2016, 01:12:15 PM
I have never had a problem traversing the Ohio on the current US 41.  What is the big deal?

They're probably not going to turn it into a freeway on that alignment, which makes connecting I-69 in KY and IN impossible.

However, if their goal is to toll it, it better be a cheap toll, or else way too many shunpikers are going to follow US41. And with US41 still free, I can't imagine truck traffic not wanting to just jog west a few miles, cross the free bridge, and then get back on I-69. Especially with US41 north of Evansville having a lot of truck related facilities near the airport, making all trucks take the toll bridge seems difficult to pull off.

thefro

Edit:
Here's the archived video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIfOH0PSG2c

Basically just announced design/study is happening.  Will reply later if they send out a press release somewhere else.

lordsutch

Quote from: Sykotyk on June 30, 2016, 01:57:34 PM
They're probably not going to turn it into a freeway on that alignment, which makes connecting I-69 in KY and IN impossible.

However, if their goal is to toll it, it better be a cheap toll, or else way too many shunpikers are going to follow US41. And with US41 still free, I can't imagine truck traffic not wanting to just jog west a few miles, cross the free bridge, and then get back on I-69. Especially with US41 north of Evansville having a lot of truck related facilities near the airport, making all trucks take the toll bridge seems difficult to pull off.

Put a weight restriction on the older bridge, toll the I-69 bridge only in that direction, and voila!

Here's a story from the Courier and Press on the announcement, which seems rather short on details.

QuoteState officials from Indiana and Kentucky announced the commission of study and design work for an Interstate 69 bridge between Evansville and Henderson.

The cost for the project was estimated by BridgeLink officials as about $850 million for a four-lane bridge over the Ohio River. It would include "modest tolls."

bmeiser

That's actually a good summary of the announcement today.  It was 30 minutes of BSing and thanking everybody, 2 minutes of Pence announcing what that article summarizes, and 6:53 minutes of Bevin trying to be a comedian.  The whole 38:53 video is at the bottom of the article if anybody is interested.

hbelkins

I watched the live stream of the event. Basically, they're starting design on the new bridge. Indiana will be the lead agency.

As to why the existing US 41 needs to be bypassed, Gov. Bevin made a humorous observation about it, talking about all the gas stations along "The Strip" and how they are all selling gas for the same price, and when one raises its price, the rest follow suit. This stretch cannot be easily turned into a freeway. The bridges, especially the older one, don't meet interstate standards.

As for eliminating shunpikers, it's easy -- you ban truck traffic on the US 41 bridges. And enforce the ban. Kentucky can do that since the bridges are entirely in Kentucky, another geographical oddity that was noted during the event.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US 41

I think its totally ridiculous not allowing trucks to use the US 41 bridges. The truck drivers didn't tell the government to build a new toll bridge that they (IN and KY) cannot afford. I think truckers and anybody else should have the freedom to choose whichever bridges they want to use.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

alecscradle

I don't think they'd ban trucks from the US 41 Bridge.  They typically only do that if a bridge is structurally deficient (though that might happen soon with this bridge).  I think it wouldn't make much sense for trucks to use US 41 even with a toll.  US 41 adds about 5-6 miles compared to the I-69 routing.  Plus US 41 North of US 60 is just a 45 mph 4 lane road with a few lights along the stretch.  And the Bridge is only at 55 mph.  My guess is going up 41 would take 15-20 min longer, which I don't think is worth it for most truckers.

RoadWarrior56

I would not be shocked that some years in the future after the I-69 crossing is complete, that the older bridge may be closed if there are structural issues and US 41 narrowed back down to two-lane traffic across the river.  In the presentation today, it was hinted at where one of the officials (I think Gov. Pence) said that at least one US 41 bridge would be maintained for local traffic.  That would certainaly make a tolled I-69 bridge more attractive for through traffic.

silverback1065

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on June 30, 2016, 08:33:59 PM
I would not be shocked that some years in the future after the I-69 crossing is complete, that the older bridge may be closed if there are structural issues and US 41 narrowed back down to two-lane traffic across the river.  In the presentation today, it was hinted at where one of the officials (I think Gov. Pence) said that at least one US 41 bridge would be maintained for local traffic.  That would certainaly make a tolled I-69 bridge more attractive for through traffic.

I've heard that the old bridge will be a ped bridge when it get time to repair it.  In a perfect world, they'd replace that one too, I wonder how much traffic will drop off on 41 after 69 crosses the ohio.

mgk920

Quote from: US 41 on June 30, 2016, 05:00:42 PM
I think its totally ridiculous not allowing trucks to use the US 41 bridges. The truck drivers didn't tell the government to build a new toll bridge that they (IN and KY) cannot afford. I think truckers and anybody else should have the freedom to choose whichever bridges they want to use.

"Local access only"

:nod:

Mike

thefro

Here's the press release they sent out

QuoteIndiana, Kentucky Governors Launch I-69 Ohio River Crossing Project

Henderson, KY — Indiana Governor Mike Pence and Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin today signed a Memorandum of Agreement to launch the I-69 Ohio River Crossing project. The states announced a combined commitment of about $17 million in their capital plans to advance project development.

"As the Crossroads of America, we know that roads mean jobs here in the Hoosier state,"  said Governor Pence. "The partnership we are announcing today is a significant step in completing the vision of I-69 that will strengthen our transportation network and support economic investment and opportunity for generations of Hoosiers to come."

Indiana and Kentucky will seek innovations from the private sector in expediting preliminary design and the required environmental review, with both states splitting costs and oversight. The MOA signed today authorizes the Indiana Department of Transportation to publish a formal request for proposals later this summer.

"I-69 is opening up Western Kentucky like never before,"  said Governor Bevin. "Advancing the Ohio River Crossing will continue to build on that momentum. This additional north-south trunk will invite investment and spark further job growth in Kentucky. Our partnership will pay dividends for the entire Commonwealth."

The environmental review and preliminary design will collect public input and study potential routes to connect the existing I-69 sections, the Robert D. Orr Highway south of Evansville and the upgraded Edward T. Breathitt Pennyrile Parkway south of Henderson. The review will also consider and collect public input on funding sources to build the project. Working cooperatively with the Federal Highway Administration, the states anticipate it will take about three years to complete the review and reach conclusions for the I-69 Ohio River Crossing route.

For additional information about the I-69 Ohio River Crossing project, visit: www.I69Crossing.indot.in.gov.

Avalanchez71

Henderson needs to get on the Breezewood bandwagon now.  If I were rgovernor  I would like the traffic to slow down and take a break in KENTUCKY.  Building the bridge will only cause tax dollars to drive away.

GreenLanternCorps

So, what kind of time frame are we looking at?

Planning and design will take x.

Putting out bids and aquiring the right of way will take y.

Construction will take z.

x+y+z=?

codyg1985

Has an EIS been conducted for the route?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 01, 2016, 11:43:50 AM
Has an EIS been conducted for the route?

Crud, I forgot to add that to my equation...

slorydn1

Oh yeah and don't forget to add "n squared"  (the number of frivolous NIMBY lawsuits x the time it takes [in years] for those suits to make their way through the process) to your equation.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

hbelkins

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 01, 2016, 08:38:33 AM
Henderson needs to get on the Breezewood bandwagon now.  If I were rgovernor  I would like the traffic to slow down and take a break in KENTUCKY.  Building the bridge will only cause tax dollars to drive away.

Henderson is very supportive of building the I-69 bridge and completing the link. They probably expect the benefits to outweigh any negatives that might come from diverting through traffic off US 41.

I've been on the "Strip" section of US 41 a few times during busy parts of the day. It stinks. There's a reason everyone hates Breezewood.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

I-39

I thought they already had been planning this for years? Why is there going to be a 3 year EIS?

Avalanchez71

Quote from: hbelkins on July 01, 2016, 02:10:31 PM

Henderson is very supportive of building the I-69 bridge and completing the link. They probably expect the benefits to outweigh any negatives that might come from diverting through traffic off US 41.

I've been on the "Strip" section of US 41 a few times during busy parts of the day. It stinks. There's a reason everyone hates Breezewood.

I have never had any problem with this section.  It could be that I always patronize businesses in Henderson.  I think I have always stopped in Henderson for some reason or another.  If I-69 was complete through there I seriously doubt that I would stop there.  I even done business there when my destination was Evansville.

silverback1065

Quote from: I-39 on July 01, 2016, 02:56:44 PM
I thought they already had been planning this for years? Why is there going to be a 3 year EIS?

environmental permitting processes are fucking annoying and take forever!

thefro

Quote from: I-39 on July 01, 2016, 02:56:44 PM

The old EIS was too expensive.  The Bridgelink group estimated another route + changes to bridge design to be $600 million cheaper.

mukade

A southern Indiana man who was once in charge of getting I-69 built now has a new challenge. Indiana Department of Transportation Deputy Commissioner Sam Sarvis is now in charge of a single project: getting the bridge built on I-69 connecting Evansville, Indiana and Henderson, Kentucky.

If you remember the aggressive construction schedule for sections 1-3, Sam Sarvis was the one in charge so I think this is good news.

New challenge for I-69 ramrod: Building new Evansville-Henderson, Ky., bridge (Indiana Economic Digest)

madbengalsfan85

It doesn't seem possible that the 69 bridge would happen before the Brent Spence replacement; but somehow, that's exactly where things are

Captain Jack

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 01, 2016, 03:23:27 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 01, 2016, 02:10:31 PM

I have never had any problem with this section.  It could be that I always patronize businesses in Henderson.  I think I have always stopped in Henderson for some reason or another.  If I-69 was complete through there I seriously doubt that I would stop there.  I even done business there when my destination was Evansville.

The problem is much greater than patronizing a few convenience stores when a tourist is passing through. The Evansville-Henderson metro is by far the largest metro on either the Ohio or Mississippi with a single highway crossing. Many people rely on this bridge as a sole link between work and home, with the overwhelming percentage being Henderson residents working in Evansville. Try being a single mom working in Evansville, getting off work and rushing to get your child at school or daycare, only to find the bridge blocked with another accident. Now imagine an ambulance with the same dilemma. These aren't just random occurrences.

I also think Henderson has the potential to benefit the most in terms of residential growth. The current growth here is in Newburgh to the east of Evansville, and the northern parts of Vanderburgh County. Henderson has been somewhat stagnant. With much lower utilities, lower taxes and a decent school system, Henderson could actually become a very attractive place for new residents with sufficient access to Evansville.

All of this far outweighs the few dollars dumped at a gas station or fast food joint by an occasional tourists passing through on the strip.
[/quote]

silverback1065

the environmental team will be selected soon.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.