News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-69 Ohio River Bridge

Started by truejd, August 05, 2010, 10:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life in Paradise

Always keep in mind that not only are the current US 41 twin bridges the only crossing between Evansville IN/Henderson KY, the bridges themselves are fairly old with one pushing 75 years.  They are also a main artery north and south with a lot of traffic carried on both.  I could see additional traffic (that's why I recommend a six lane I-69 bridge) with its completion since you could very well see some current I-65 South traffic take I-69 to Pennyrile (I-124) to I-24 to Nashville to get around Louisville.

The Ghostbuster

Whoa! When did the first 34 miles of the Pennyrile Parkway get designated Interstate 124? I thought the only existing 124 was the unsigned one in Chattanooga?

RoadWarrior56

I think I-124 was a typo.  The remainder of the Pennyrile Parkway is still the Pennyrile Parkway.

US 41

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on August 22, 2016, 08:06:30 PM
I think I-124 was a typo.  The remainder of the Pennyrile Parkway is still the Pennyrile Parkway.

I thought it was going to be I-169.  :confused: Or did that bill never pass?
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Avalanchez71

They should designate it as I-69E.

Life in Paradise

The Southern Pennyrile has not been designated as I-124, it's just that a group from KY have been pushing in that direction, so I thought that I would just humor them.

silverback1065

Avalanchez71

silverback1065

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on August 23, 2016, 01:43:38 PM
What about I-24E?

it can be any number you want, minus the letter suffix

The Ghostbuster

Actually, I think Interstate 124 wouldn't be a bad number for the first 34 miles of the Pennyrile Parkway. Maybe the remainder of the Western Kentucky Parkway could be an x-69 three-digit Interstate.

alecscradle

Is Pennyrile up to Interstate Standards down there? Because unless it is, I doubt that there's any chance of them upgrading it just to put a Spur on there.

Life in Paradise

I believe that most of the Pennyrile is up to interstate standards with the exception of exit 12, on the north side of Hopkinsville, where a toll booth used to be.  The extension from exit 7 to I-24 was definitely made with the up to date standards.

Heck, if Kentucky were north Carolina, who knows how many interstates would be within the state lines of KY!

Captain Jack

If they are going to designate the southern half of the Pennyrile as an interstate, I would prefer it takes on a 2-di, that can be multiplexed with both 24 and 69 between Evansville and Nashville, such as I-61. Giving it a 3-di would create 3 separate interstates linking the two cities, which was served for many years with US 41.

In addition, it could plant the seeds to gradually upgrade 41 in Indiana to the new route, eventually reaching Chicago. That sure would help alleviate the congestion along I-65 as well.

Interstate 69 Fan

On a Facebook post that I unfortunately cannot provide a link to :-( the Parkway was numbered Interstate 269, as it connects two Interstates.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Grzrd

This article reports that INDOT and KYTC have selected Parson Transportation Group for the preliminary design and to conduct the environmental review of the I-69 Ohio River bridge, a contract with that team is hoped to be finalized by the end of the year, and that the enveironmental review could take three years:

The Indiana Department of Transportation and Kentucky Transportation Cabinet have chosen California-based Parson Transportation Group Inc. to lead the preliminary design and environmental review for the proposed I-69 Ohio River Crossing Project. Both departments hope to have an advance contract signed by the end of the year.
INDOT says the Parsons will conduct the review by collecting public input and studying potential routes for the interstate extension, as well as funding sources for the project. Both departments will meet with Parsons this week to begin contract negotiations. Parsons was selected from a number of firms who submitted proposals for the project.
Announced in June, Indiana Governor Mike Pence and Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin announced both states would split the costs and oversight of the preliminary design and environmental testing work. Pence called the bridge an "artery of growth" that will help bring more prosperity to both states.
The extension will connect Evansville with Henderson, Kentucky.
Pence and Bevin said they had set aside $17 million for development costs. At the time of the original announcement, officials estimated the review and federal approval processes could take about three years to complete.

There is also this TV video about the selection of Parson.

ukfan758

Quote from: Grzrd on November 16, 2016, 01:29:07 PM
This article reports that INDOT and KYTC have selected Parson Transportation Group for the preliminary design and to conduct the environmental review of the I-69 Ohio River bridge, a contract with that team is hoped to be finalized by the end of the year, and that the enveironmental review could take three years:

The Indiana Department of Transportation and Kentucky Transportation Cabinet have chosen California-based Parson Transportation Group Inc. to lead the preliminary design and environmental review for the proposed I-69 Ohio River Crossing Project. Both departments hope to have an advance contract signed by the end of the year.
INDOT says the Parsons will conduct the review by collecting public input and studying potential routes for the interstate extension, as well as funding sources for the project. Both departments will meet with Parsons this week to begin contract negotiations. Parsons was selected from a number of firms who submitted proposals for the project.
Announced in June, Indiana Governor Mike Pence and Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin announced both states would split the costs and oversight of the preliminary design and environmental testing work. Pence called the bridge an "artery of growth" that will help bring more prosperity to both states.
The extension will connect Evansville with Henderson, Kentucky.
Pence and Bevin said they had set aside $17 million for development costs. At the time of the original announcement, officials estimated the review and federal approval processes could take about three years to complete.

There is also this TV video about the selection of Parson.

What exactly is done in a study to make it take 3 years?

vdeane

They have to go over every single blade of grass to make sure there isn't a single animal, plant, wetland, waterway, piece of land that could theoretically be used for farming, parkland, scenic view, historic building, archaeological resource, or a number of other things that could potentially be negatively affected by the project.  If even one thing is missed, it means a massive lawsuit would likely be filed against the state by an environmental group.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

silverback1065

Quote from: vdeane on December 06, 2016, 02:12:36 PM
They have to go over every single blade of grass to make sure there isn't a single animal, plant, wetland, waterway, piece of land that could theoretically be used for farming, parkland, scenic view, historic building, archaeological resource, or a number of other things that could potentially be negatively affected by the project.  If even one thing is missed, it means a massive lawsuit would likely be filed against the state by an environmental group.

those are so annoying to complete

thefro

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 06, 2016, 02:21:38 PM
Quote from: vdeane on December 06, 2016, 02:12:36 PM

those are so annoying to complete

LOL, we all know CARR will probably sue out of spite at this point.

compdude787

Only three years?!

There is a road up near my family's cabin in the Cascade Mountains that had a half-mile section washed out in a 2006 flood. The county plans to rebuild the road uphill, but the environmental impact statement and all that crap has taken over ten years to do, and construction on this road won't start until 2018, and the road won't be completed until 2020! That's fourteen years without a paved road to our cabin. We currently have to to drive on a gravel road to our cabin, which takes 45 minutes longer.

Moral of the story: I HATE environmental impact statements!! There should be a law that states that they can't spend more than three years on them.

silverback1065

Quote from: compdude787 on December 06, 2016, 06:36:11 PM
Only three years?!

There is a road up near my family's cabin in the Cascade Mountains that had a half-mile section washed out in a 2006 flood. The county plans to rebuild the road uphill, but the environmental impact statement and all that crap has taken over ten years to do, and construction on this road won't start until 2018, and the road won't be completed until 2020! That's fourteen years without a paved road to our cabin. We currently have to to drive on a gravel road to our cabin, which takes 45 minutes longer.

Moral of the story: I HATE environmental impact statements!! There should be a law that states that they can't spend more than three years on them.

amen brother, i have to fill them out a lot at work, most of what they make you do is a waste of time.  I'm for keeping a good environment, but some of the things you need to do for permits is simply silly.  i don't want to get to political about it, but i HATE these things too!

Grzrd

This article reports that Indiana has been assigned the lead for the approaches to the bridge, and that the process should take about eighteen months:

One for the history books is how several local Kentucky officials described the first week of the new legislative session in which several bills were  fast-tracked to the governor's desk, including legislation involving abortion, right to work and the establishment a new U of L board of trustees.
State Sen. Dorsey Ridley, a Democrat who has been named as the Minority Caucus Chair; Republican Rep. Suzanne Miles; and newly elected Rep. Robby Mills, also a Republican, spoke during a legislative preview breakfast Monday morning sponsored by Kyndle at the Big Rivers Training Facility at Third and Main streets ...
During a question and answer period,City Commissioner Patti Bugg asked about the state of the I-69 bridge project.
"The leadership on the bridge approaches has been given to the Indiana Department of Transportation," Mills said. "So there is a lot of work to preparing routes, studying routes, preparing ... we were told that is an 18 month process."

Grzrd

This article quotes an engineer as saying that a route around Henderson should be selected in 2019 and, if all goes smoothly, the I-69 Bridge should open in 2027:

While there is still no route decided for I-69 through Henderson, an answer should be coming in late 2019.
Kevin McClearn, the western Kentucky regional manager for American Engineers, Inc., spoke at the Henderson Rotary Club on Thursday about his thoughts on I-69 and what Henderson might see in the future.
Previously an engineer for the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, McClearn offered his professional opinion on the project, but stressed that he wasn't officially representing the project.
While Parsons Transportation Group is the lead consultant on the I-69 Ohio River crossing project, Stantec, the same company working on the design for a new Spottsville Bridge, will also consult on the process, along with American Engineers, Inc., and 16 other consultants ....
In 2019, consultants plan to receive a record of decision, which includes environmental studies and other information, from the federal government. From there, an exact I-69 route through Henderson and/or Henderson County will be selected and funding will be decided upon.
"No one can predict where the route is going to go," said McClearn. "We all have our guesses. I'm not able to tell you what their favorite (route) is because there is no favorite. Everything will be considered. Once a route is chosen, hopefully it'll be a defendable alignment." ....
Different routes on the table include paths parallel and just to the east of the twin bridges or that follow along the existing U.S. 41 corridor. Another possible route would cross the Ohio River much further east, traveling between the communities of Graham and Zion before then connecting with the current Pennyrile Parkway/I-69 path. And yet another path further to the east would span the Ohio and then turn southwest after crossing U.S. 60 before merging with the current U.S. 41 just north of Kentucky 351.
With the question of the specific route for I-69 comes several other issues.
McClearn said one important question to ask is will the twin bridges remain or be demolished? After all, maintaining the structures comes at a high price. To maintain the bridges, KYTC may fix sections, paint, control vegetation and clean. And, according to McClearn, it takes approximately $25 million to paint both of the U.S. 41 bridges.
If a new bridge is built, officials may also consider keeping just one of the twin bridges ....
When asked what year he would guess the I-69 Ohio River crossing project would be complete, McClearn anticipated the project would not be complete until the year 2027, and that's if the project encounters no serious setbacks.

silverback1065

inkyatari

"The Methusela Memorial Bridge..."
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.