News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-69 in KY

Started by Grzrd, September 20, 2010, 12:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

Quote from: Captain Jack on July 23, 2013, 11:47:45 AM
Yes, the general belief is that it will leave the current I-164 route somewhere just east of the Green River Road exit. That will leave approximately 3 miles between Green River Road and US 41. INDOT is supposedly considering relocating US 41 to the current I-164 route. If that happens, it will simply be US 41 in that section. If not, I would imagine it would just become Veterans Parkway. It seems silly to create a new route number for that short section of highway, and somewhat confusing to motorist as it would go from Veterans Parkway to a new 3di, to I-69 in about a 3 mile stretch.

I don't understand why INDOT doesn't go ahead and co-sign I-164 with 69 to at least the SR 662 exit, as it will certainly replace that much of the route. Go ahead and get people used to calling it I-69.

I thought that piece was going to be called i-169

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 23, 2013, 10:00:15 AM
I-381, I-175, I-375 are very short.  So is I-395 in Miami as well.  There are others out there as well.  Oh yeah don't forget about I-180 in Cheyenne, WY.

Don't forget I-579 as well.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Captain Jack on July 23, 2013, 11:47:45 AM
Yes, the general belief is that it will leave the current I-164 route somewhere just east of the Green River Road exit. That will leave approximately 3 miles between Green River Road and US 41. INDOT is supposedly considering relocating US 41 to the current I-164 route. If that happens, it will simply be US 41 in that section. If not, I would imagine it would just become Veterans Parkway. It seems silly to create a new route number for that short section of highway, and somewhat confusing to motorist as it would go from Veterans Parkway to a new 3di, to I-69 in about a 3 mile stretch.

I don't understand why INDOT doesn't go ahead and co-sign I-164 with 69 to at least the SR 662 exit, as it will certainly replace that much of the route. Go ahead and get people used to calling it I-69.

Wait, relocating 41 to the 164 remnant?  Using what routing?  41 is a pretty important commercial corridor in Henderson (though it remains to be seen what happens there after 69 bypasses it).  They're not removing the 41 bridges, are they?

Captain Jack

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 23, 2013, 09:37:23 PM

Wait, relocating 41 to the 164 remnant?  Using what routing?  41 is a pretty important commercial corridor in Henderson (though it remains to be seen what happens there after 69 bypasses it).  They're not removing the 41 bridges, are they?

No, supposedly INDOT has floated the idea of re-routing US 41 from the north, east on I-64 to current I-164, down I-164 to where it joins US 41 on the south side of Evansville and turning the existing road through Evansville back to local.

I am sure the current bridges are safe for quite some time, Evansville-Hendo really needs two sets of bridges.

silverback1065

Quote from: Captain Jack on July 23, 2013, 09:41:12 PM

No, supposedly INDOT has floated the idea of re-routing US 41 from the north, east on I-64 to current I-164, down I-164 to where it joins US 41 on the south side of Evansville and turning the existing road through Evansville back to local.

I am sure the current bridges are safe for quite some time, Evansville-Hendo really needs two sets of bridges.

Those bridges aren't going anywhere, even if they reroute us 41

Pete from Boston

Interesting.  I don't think 41 gets much use as a through route between 64 and 164 so I can see how it wouldn't affect things much, though it seems like an excessive move just to get 41 onto that sliver of remaining 164.  By comparison, leaving that stub 164 (or making it an an unsigned Interstate with the Veterans Parkway name) seems less involved.

I think it's helpful to have the airport on a major regional highway (it's on 41 currently) and that might be my biggest reason for keeping 41 through there.

Is there an Indiana 23?  If not, 41 could be renumbered IN-23 there in honor of Eville native Don Mattingly.  "The Mattingly" has so much nicer a ring to it than "the Lloyd."

Avalanchez71

How about BUS SPUR I-69?  Or make it BY-PASS US 41

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 23, 2013, 11:43:12 PM

Interesting.  I don't think 41 gets much use as a through route between 64 and 164 so I can see how it wouldn't affect things much, though it seems like an excessive move just to get 41 onto that sliver of remaining 164.  By comparison, leaving that stub 164 (or making it an an unsigned Interstate with the Veterans Parkway name) seems less involved.

I think it's helpful to have the airport on a major regional highway (it's on 41 currently) and that might be my biggest reason for keeping 41 through there.

Is there an Indiana 23?  If not, 41 could be renumbered IN-23 there in honor of Eville native Don Mattingly.  "The Mattingly" has so much nicer a ring to it than "the Lloyd."

Yes, there is an IN-23 in St. Joseph and Starke counties
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hbelkins

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 23, 2013, 09:37:23 PMThey're not removing the 41 bridges, are they?

The bridges belong to Kentucky, since at that point the state line is north of the Ohio River and the entirety of the spans is in the Bluegrass State.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

silverback1065

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 24, 2013, 12:10:45 AM
How about BUS SPUR I-69?  Or make it BY-PASS US 41

highly doubt both, Indiana never uses business routes (only cities do) and very rarely use bypass routes.

dirtroad66

I know quite a few people who take us 41 instead of I 164. Does anyone know if the proposed bridge will go over the green river also or is the bridge to the west of the confluence.

Avalanchez71

I usually take US 41 in lieu of I-164 over to I-64 then back to US 41.

theline

Quote from: dirtroad66 on July 24, 2013, 05:47:42 PM
Does anyone know if the proposed bridge will go over the green river also or is the bridge to the I west of the confluence.

The answer you seek, my friend, is just upthread. To save you the trouble, I'll quote it here (emphasis added):
Quote from: Grzrd on July 23, 2013, 11:09:13 AM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 23, 2013, 06:45:56 AM
What's the likely jumping-off point for the new southerly extension of I-69 from existing I-164?  Green River Rd.?

The Executive Summary of the 2004 Draft Environmental Impact Statement for I-69 between Evansville and Henderson identifies Alternative 2 as the Preferred Alternative (page 23/23 of pdf; page S-23 of document) and describes Alternative 2's Indiana approach as follows (page 11/23 of pdf):

Alternative 2 utilizes the existing I-164 alignment from its northern terminus at I-64 in Warrick County, to just east of the Green River Road interchange and west of Angel Mounds State Memorial Site. From that location, the alternative leaves the existing I-164 alignment and heads south to cross the Ohio River immediately west of the mouth of the Green River.

hbelkins

I always thought it odd that there's a Green River Road in Indiana, since the Green River is a Kentucky stream that empties into the Ohio just upstream of Evansville/Henderson and downstream of Owensboro.

Captain Jack

Quote from: hbelkins on July 25, 2013, 09:24:25 PM
I always thought it odd that there's a Green River Road in Indiana, since the Green River is a Kentucky stream that empties into the Ohio just upstream of Evansville/Henderson and downstream of Owensboro.

Evansville's Green River Road is a north/south road that ends pretty well directly across the Ohio from where the Green empties into it.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: hbelkins on July 25, 2013, 09:24:25 PM

Well, Old Henderson Rd also only goes across the river from Henderson.   

Grzrd

This article reports that there will be a daylong conference, "I-69: Our Road to the Future" , on October 15 in Madisonville.  Many of Kentucky's foremost politicians have been invited to speak, but I am intrigued by what type of spin the Tennessee DOT representative will put on Tennessee's progress:

"I-69: Our Road to the Future"  will take place Tuesday, Oct. 15 at the Ballard Convention Center, 605 E. Arch St., in Madisonville ....
Local, state and regional infrastructure and economic development experts will address the expectations, opportunities and concerns regarding the development of a new interstate highway. Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear, U.S. senators Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul and U.S. Rep. Ed Whitfield are among the invited speakers.
Representatives of the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet and the departments of transportation in Tennessee and Indiana will provide updates on the road's construction in all three states.

"I-69 is coming to Kentucky, and in some cases it's already here, so cities and counties all along its path need to be thinking right now about how it will impact them,"  Lee Lingo, president of the Madisonville-Hopkins County Chamber of Commerce and a staff member of C-LINK, said in a statement.
"This conference is designed to give local elected officials, economic developers, chamber members, business leaders and transportation advocates information and perspective on how I-69 could benefit their communities and what issues they should be considering,"  Lingo said. "I-69 is going to be a reality in our state, so as a region we need to start thinking about how we can best leverage this new connection Kentucky will have to the rest of the country."

Revive 755

Found this in the I-24 interchange with the Purchase Parkway the other day:

There's an End North I-69/Begin Western Kentucky Parkway sign of similar design at the interchange with the Pennyrile Parkway.

As to earlier discussion in this thread regarding US 41 across Indiana, it is a great example of how not to build or maintain an expressway.  A pity IDOT didn't and will not upgrade IL 1 to provide a rival facility.

mukade

Quote from: Revive 755 on August 21, 2013, 09:11:49 PM
As to earlier discussion in this thread regarding US 41 across Indiana, it is a great example of how not to build or maintain an expressway.  A pity IDOT didn't and will not upgrade IL 1 to provide a rival facility.

Are you kidding me? IL 1 from Crete to Danville and from I-70 south is very desolate, and an upgrade never made sense. Also, there is the fact that Illinois is nearly bankrupt, and an IL 1 upgrade would be far from the top of the list of needs there. The US 41/SR 63 corridor in Indiana is adequate and is really only bad in Terre Haute. When SR 641 is done, it will be the four miles from I-70 north to SR 63 that are awful.

In Evansville, I-164 is four miles east and is the primary north-south highway built to bypass US 41. There is no need to upgrade this part of US 41, IMO.

So taking US 41/SR 63 from I-64 to the proposed Illiana Expressway, except for Terre Haute is far from the worst expressway. It is generally a pretty enjoyable drive that has approximately 18 interchanges.

Revive 755

^ I don't have a problem with I-164 over US 41, although I-164 should really be posted at 65 instead of 60 for most of its route.  I have a problem with the numerous stoplights and areas where the already low speed limit falls on US 41.

mukade

Quote from: Revive 755 on August 21, 2013, 10:26:38 PM
^ I don't have a problem with I-164 over US 41, although I-164 should really be posted at 65 instead of 60 for most of its route.  I have a problem with the numerous stoplights and areas where the already low speed limit falls on US 41.

Agreed that US 41 has a couple of annoying slowdowns due to stoplights and one massively annoying one, but all in all:
1) the corridor comprised of I-164, US 41, SR 641, and SR 63 is not bad
2) the general population density in eastern Illinois and western Indiana is low so a nearby parallel expressway is not needed

I thought I-164 was posted at 70 for most of its length. Google maps street view

US 41 and SR 63 are primarily posted at 60.

hbelkins

My experiences on US 41 between I-70 and I-64 are that the route is perfectly adequate for the amount of traffic it carries and the area it serves. Not everything has to be an interstate, and the existing US 41 is perfectly fine.

Henry

Quote from: hbelkins on August 22, 2013, 12:45:16 AM
My experiences on US 41 between I-70 and I-64 are that the route is perfectly adequate for the amount of traffic it carries and the area it serves. Not everything has to be an interstate, and the existing US 41 is perfectly fine.
Try telling that to the ones who wanted I-69 in Terre Haute!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Brandon

Quote from: Henry on August 22, 2013, 01:27:29 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 22, 2013, 12:45:16 AM
Try telling that to the ones who wanted I-69 in Terre Haute!

Wouldn't that be a certain group of people in Bloomington, Indiana (who still seem to have not gotten it yet)?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.