News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Named Exits on I-540

Started by US71, August 29, 2010, 08:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Hey, M86: I caught that Hudson Road error today. Also the lack of arrows for 62/12/102.  Also looks like AHTD (or a contractor) is putting up new sign poles, so maybe the new signage will be up in a few weeks.

Also caught a crew changing "Bridge May Ice Cold Weather" signs to "Bridge Ices Before Roads" . Sadly, they were going south while I was going north. By the time I had turned around, they had finished and moved on. :(
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

M86

Quote from: US71 on September 20, 2011, 10:05:08 PM
Hey, M86: I caught that Hudson Road error today. Also the lack of arrows for 62/12/102.  Also looks like AHTD (or a contractor) is putting up new sign poles, so maybe the new signage will be up in a few weeks.

Also caught a crew changing "Bridge May Ice Cold Weather" signs to "Bridge Ices Before Roads" . Sadly, they were going south while I was going north. By the time I had turned around, they had finished and moved on. :(
Ahhh... Yes... And AR 12 is new for Exit 86.  AR 12 was at Exit 85 (Walton Blvd/Walnut St).  AHTD moved that up to Exit 86.
They have been replacing everything, signage wise.  I'm still twiddling my thumbs for Exit 85/86... I drive from Exit 86 (one of the worst gridlocks in NWA at peak times, if not all of AR) to the Lowell exit (Exit 78).  US71, if you have access to traffic counts, I'd love to see them.

US71

Quote from: M86 on September 24, 2011, 03:43:13 AM
Quote from: US71 on September 20, 2011, 10:05:08 PM

Ahhh... Yes... And AR 12 is new for Exit 86.  AR 12 was at Exit 85 (Walton Blvd/Walnut St).  AHTD moved that up to Exit 86.
They have been replacing everything, signage wise.  I'm still twiddling my thumbs for Exit 85/86... I drive from Exit 86 (one of the worst gridlocks in NWA at peak times, if not all of AR) to the Lowell exit (Exit 78).  US71, if you have access to traffic counts, I'd love to see them.

That must be brand new. Last I saw, 12 got rerouted around downtown along 94 and 62, then south along 2nd  (old 62). As soon as I get my photos uploaded, I'll ask AHTD about the arrows and maybe find out about 12.

You should be able to find traffic count info on the AHTD website, but it may take a little bit of looking around.

M86

I'm speculating on the AR 12 routing.  Sorry, I should've said that.  I noticed AR 12 being signed at the southbound off ramp at Exit 86 (not on the mainline, but they haven't updated that signage yet).  Also, they signed Hobbs State Park/Conservation Area at Exit 86 now, instead of Exit 85 (northbound only).  And Hobbs State Park/Conservation Area signage appears at both the southbound and northbound off ramps at Exit 86.

M86

I have an update:  Exit 85 & 86 signage along I-540 has been replaced (for the most part... not complete yet).  Apparently, now, AR 12 is routed along Walton Blvd (US 71B) in Bentonville east to I-540, then north along 540 to Exit 86 (SE 14th St/Hudson Rd), then to the east along US 62.  This, all according to the new BGS's for Exit 85 and Exit 86 that were just recently put up.  I'm not sure of the routing of AR 12 off of US 62... I may go investigate tomorrow.

Also to note:  On the BGSs at Exit 85, the "B" in the US 71B shield is full-size.  I also noticed a AR 12 shield on a northbound BGS that was in a 3-di AR shield for Exit 86.  Honestly, the signage looks really bad.  I was liking the Clearview, but someone f'ed up these ones.

US71

Quote from: M86 on October 01, 2011, 03:17:02 AM
I have an update:  Exit 85 & 86 signage along I-540 has been replaced (for the most part... not complete yet).  Apparently, now, AR 12 is routed along Walton Blvd (US 71B) in Bentonville east to I-540, then north along 540 to Exit 86 (SE 14th St/Hudson Rd), then to the east along US 62.  This, all according to the new BGS's for Exit 85 and Exit 86 that were just recently put up.  I'm not sure of the routing of AR 12 off of US 62... I may go investigate tomorrow.

Also to note:  On the BGSs at Exit 85, the "B" in the US 71B shield is full-size.  I also noticed a AR 12 shield on a northbound BGS that was in a 3-di AR shield for Exit 86.  Honestly, the signage looks really bad.  I was liking the Clearview, but someone f'ed up these ones.

DRAT! You beat me to this (I'll have photos in a couple days). As far as AR 12, it follows US 62 back to N 2nd (formerly 62B, formerly US 62), then back south to E Locust  (AR 12 East).  62B has been removed from service, and the City of Rogers has take over Walnut east of 8th and 2nd north of Walnut to Locust.

I'll be in the area tomorrow and will see if I have time to investigate further.

Updated info 10-3-11

This is confusing:

According to the new exit signage, EB AR 12 has a short multiplex with NB I-540 (and US 71/ US 62) before heading east on US 62.

BUT all other signage seems to indicate AR 12 still follows US 71B to AR 94/8th Street in Rogers, north to US 62/Hudson Rd , east to 2nd Street, then south to Locust before heading east towards Beaver Lake.

M86

Quote from: US71 on October 02, 2011, 06:01:59 PM
Quote from: M86 on October 01, 2011, 03:17:02 AM
I have an update:  Exit 85 & 86 signage along I-540 has been replaced (for the most part... not complete yet).  Apparently, now, AR 12 is routed along Walton Blvd (US 71B) in Bentonville east to I-540, then north along 540 to Exit 86 (SE 14th St/Hudson Rd), then to the east along US 62.  This, all according to the new BGS's for Exit 85 and Exit 86 that were just recently put up.  I'm not sure of the routing of AR 12 off of US 62... I may go investigate tomorrow.

Also to note:  On the BGSs at Exit 85, the "B" in the US 71B shield is full-size.  I also noticed a AR 12 shield on a northbound BGS that was in a 3-di AR shield for Exit 86.  Honestly, the signage looks really bad.  I was liking the Clearview, but someone f'ed up these ones.

DRAT! You beat me to this (I'll have photos in a couple days). As far as AR 12, it follows US 62 back to N 2nd (formerly 62B, formerly US 62), then back south to E Locust  (AR 12 East).  62B has been removed from service, and the City of Rogers has take over Walnut east of 8th and 2nd north of Walnut to Locust.

I'll be in the area tomorrow and will see if I have time to investigate further.

I wanted to take pictures, but I'm afraid of pulling off on the shoulder of 540, especially in that area.  That's pretty much signing your death certificate. :).
On a side note, I was driving south from Missouri around 8 PM tonight, and noticed that they closed off the left lane of 540 south of Exit 86, for the installation of the cable median barrier.  I sincerely hope that is closed overnight only, and not during the day.  Otherwise, my commute is going to be hell... and that's saying that lightly.

US71

Quote from: M86 on October 03, 2011, 02:19:53 AM
I wanted to take pictures, but I'm afraid of pulling off on the shoulder of 540, especially in that area.  That's pretty much signing your death certificate. :).

Depends what time of day. The hardest part is waiting for semis to pass. I'm usually in the grass, so if something gets hit, it's the van and not me  :spin:. Though if there is LOTS of traffic, I may simply try to do a "drive-by" shot.

M86

US71, what area of AR do you live in, if you don't mind me asking?  You can private message me if you want.... I'm not totally familiar with AARoads yet. :)
Also, AHTD updated all of the Exit 86/Exit 85 signage now (10/5)... Complete with horrible/ridiculous abbreviations on the signage (Reg, Ar, Comm, Med, Ctr, Dist, Nat).

US71

Quote from: M86 on October 06, 2011, 01:00:07 AM
US71, what area of AR do you live in, if you don't mind me asking?  You can private message me if you want.... I'm not totally familiar with AARoads yet. :)
Also, AHTD updated all of the Exit 86/Exit 85 signage now (10/5)... Complete with horrible/ridiculous abbreviations on the signage (Reg, Ar, Comm, Med, Ctr, Dist, Nat).

Are those MUTCD standard abbreviations?

Where do I live? Hmmm... well, the mileposts on 540 are within a half mile of being accurate to where my apartment is, and I can see Oklahoma from my back door (well, not quite)  :)

In other words: Ft Smith.  :biggrin:

M86

The abbreviations are not in compliance, from what I've found/researched.  MUTCD has a list of acceptable abbreviations for signage... but I'm not sure if it's a "has to be" or "recommendation only" type of thing. Abbreviations on road signs drive me crazy.  :)  I've been wanting to send them an email about it. 

One of my big gripes with the new signage:  No mention of Centerton (west of Bentonville on 102, and now, a decent sized town)... It seems like an obvious addition.  Although AHTD did decide to sign Eureka Springs for southbound 540.  I'll take what I can get.  Yet they kept the Bentonville/Rogers "Business Dist" signs.  Why sign the Bentonville Business "Dist" for Exit 86?  It makes no sense.  Sorry... If only I was in charge... :)

codyg1985

Quote from: M86 on October 06, 2011, 01:00:07 AM

The only one of those that is listed in the latest MUTCD (section 1A.15) is "Ctr" for Center. If "Nat" refers to National, then according to the MUTCD it should be "Nat'l"

I don't see anything yet that says whether other abbreviations are allowed or not.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

US71

Quote from: M86 on October 07, 2011, 01:32:28 AM
The abbreviations are not in compliance, from what I've found/researched.  MUTCD has a list of acceptable abbreviations for signage... but I'm not sure if it's a "has to be" or "recommendation only" type of thing. Abbreviations on road signs drive me crazy.  :)  I've been wanting to send them an email about it. 

One of my big gripes with the new signage:  No mention of Centerton (west of Bentonville on 102, and now, a decent sized town)... It seems like an obvious addition.  Although AHTD did decide to sign Eureka Springs for southbound 540.  I'll take what I can get.  Yet they kept the Bentonville/Rogers "Business Dist" signs.  Why sign the Bentonville Business "Dist" for Exit 86?  It makes no sense.  Sorry... If only I was in charge... :)

Well, they probably can't sign the Business District for Bentonville at Exit 88 since 72 has been deleted between 540 and Bus 71.  As for Eureka Springs, it IS a tourist attraction. 

Centerton is posted on some of the non-interstate guide signs.  But if they include Centerton, what about Garfield? ;)

If you DO contact AHTD (I need to, also), let me know what they say.

M86

Quote from: US71 on October 07, 2011, 09:46:07 AM
Quote from: M86 on October 07, 2011, 01:32:28 AM

Well, they probably can't sign the Business District for Bentonville at Exit 88 since 72 has been deleted between 540 and Bus 71.  As for Eureka Springs, it IS a tourist attraction. 

Centerton is posted on some of the non-interstate guide signs.  But if they include Centerton, what about Garfield? ;)

If you DO contact AHTD (I need to, also), let me know what they say.

Previously, Eureka Springs was only signed for northbound 540 (no southbound signage at all).  The new signage includes southbound signage for Eureka Springs.  I was hoping that they would include Centerton (they've grown to almost 10,000 population-wise) when they updated the signage.
And "Rogers Business Dist" is only signed for southbound for Exit 86, and "Bentonville Business Dist" is only signed for northbound for Exit 85.  I've never understood this.

And "Nat" does refer to "National"... and yes, it should be "Nat'l".  Funny, because when I first drove by it at 70 MPH, I thought of "natural", since Arkansas is the "Natural State".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.