News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Potential I-35 Austin Bypass/I-35 Business/SH 130 Flip??

Started by Anthony_JK, October 22, 2010, 09:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 41

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 23, 2010, 12:49:54 AM
Because people are dumb and will stay on the mainline 35 route instead of taking a 3di advertised as a bypass. Why do people stay on I-70 through Wheeling, WV?

Because there is not a tunnel on I-470.  :bigass:
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 23, 2010, 12:49:54 AM
Because people are dumb and will stay on the mainline 35 route instead of taking a 3di advertised as a bypass. Why do people stay on I-70 through Wheeling, WV?

Because they want to see the tunnel and the suspension bridge.

thisdj78

Quote from: Road Hog on September 04, 2014, 07:31:26 PM
I don't think this will fly with the current political atmosphere in Austin. Texas already has a skeletal state budget and doesn't have the money to assume billions in debt by taking on 130.

With more tea party types getting elected this year, there will be even less funding for highways, and a gas tax rise to pay for it? Forget it.

If the plan is to toll lanes of I-35, wouldn't that shore up some of the costs?

MaxConcrete

Speaking of I-35, two weeks ago I photographed the construction along the corridor and posted the photos

http://www.houstonfreeways.com/photos/interstate-35-construction-august-2014

The construction zone is north of the section under discussion in this thread, extending from north of Georgetown to south of Hillsboro, about 80 miles.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Anthony_JK

Quote from: thisdj78 on September 05, 2014, 10:09:21 PM
I don't think this will fly with the current political atmosphere in Austin. Texas already has a skeletal state budget and doesn't have the money to assume billions in debt by taking on 130.

With more tea party types getting elected this year, there will be even less funding for highways, and a gas tax rise to pay for it? Forget it.

According to the plan I originally posted, only one lane in each direction on I-35 would be converted to "managed lanes" (i.e., tolled).  The remaining lanes would remain toll free.

Also, the proposal would only affect the segment of SH 130 from SH 45 northward, as well as the SH 45 connector between I-35 and SH 130. I assume that the remainder of 130 south of 45 to I-10 at Luling would remain a toll road, probably being picked up by a local tolling authority.

thisdj78

Quote from: Anthony_JK on September 06, 2014, 04:24:54 PM
Quote from: thisdj78 on September 05, 2014, 10:09:21 PM

According to the plan I originally posted, only one lane in each direction on I-35 would be converted to "managed lanes" (i.e., tolled).  The remaining lanes would remain toll free.

Also, the proposal would only affect the segment of SH 130 from SH 45 northward, as well as the SH 45 connector between I-35 and SH 130. I assume that the remainder of 130 south of 45 to I-10 at Luling would remain a toll road, probably being picked up by a local tolling authority.

I would think that managed lanes on I-35 would get more usage and revenue then that segment of 130 is now. I could be wrong though.

This swap proposal is the only thing I see as being feasible for I don't think we will see an expansion of I-35.

Move I-35 out east, expand to 6 or 8 lanes and give businesses incentives to relocate along the new route. The old route will eventually become a manageable urban freeway.

SquonkHunter

Quote from: MaxConcrete on September 06, 2014, 10:04:28 AM
Speaking of I-35, two weeks ago I photographed the construction along the corridor and posted the photos

The construction zone is north of the section under discussion in this thread, extending from north of Georgetown to south of Hillsboro, about 80 miles.

Thanks for the pics. I will be traveling Austin to Ft. Worth and back next week and was wondering what the status was on the construction. I can see it's gonna be a LONG day's drive.  :no:

SquonkHunter

Made the trip OK. Not as bad as I had feared. I can see that it will be very nice when completed. After all these years, it will be hard to believe when it is done. Seems like 35 has been under continuous construction for many years now.

codyg1985

Quote from: MaxConcrete on September 06, 2014, 10:04:28 AM

With all of the new capacity projects in the metro areas being tolled, I am surprised that TxDOT is able to afford not only adding an additional lane in each direction between Georgetown and Hillsboro, but also completely rebuilding the freeway as well. I guess they used bonds to finance all of this? I can't think of any other state that has been doing a major rebuild on this scale on a free interstate.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

dfwmapper

The rebuild was needed. Many of the segments through cities like Troy, Bruceville-Eddy, Lorena, and West were extremely substandard, with low clearances, insufficient shoulders, nonexistent acceleration/deceleration lanes, limited sight distance because of poor vertical geometry, and two-way frontage roads in the cities, all while seeing ~60000 AADT in the rural areas (about twice as much as I-10 between San Antonio and Houston, or I-45 between Houston and Dallas) and heavy truck traffic.

longhorn

Quote from: dfwmapper on September 21, 2014, 05:16:02 PM
The rebuild was needed. Many of the segments through cities like Troy, Bruceville-Eddy, Lorena, and West were extremely substandard, with low clearances, insufficient shoulders, nonexistent acceleration/deceleration lanes, limited sight distance because of poor vertical geometry, and two-way frontage roads in the cities, all while seeing ~60000 AADT in the rural areas (about twice as much as I-10 between San Antonio and Houston, or I-45 between Houston and Dallas) and heavy truck traffic.

Yes, its was needed but the Temple rebuild is going to be a pain in the butt and chokepoint during construction for a couple of years.

dfwmapper

Quote from: longhorn on September 22, 2014, 09:30:37 AMYes, its was needed but the Temple rebuild is going to be a pain in the butt and chokepoint during construction for a couple of years.
Good thing the northwestern quarter of Loop 363 (between I-35 and SH36) is just about done being widened to 4 lanes with grade separations at SH36 and Wendeland. That will make the entire west side 4 lanes. I predict it will see a lot of use for the full year when Temple is still torn up but the rest of I-35 is done. Should have just built it as a full freeway, built a couple ramps, and rerouted I-35 to follow it. Make the old route I-235 or something and leave it as-is.

thisdj78

Quote from: dfwmapper on September 22, 2014, 05:13:22 PM
Quote from: longhorn on September 22, 2014, 09:30:37 AMYes, its was needed but the Temple rebuild is going to be a pain in the butt and chokepoint during construction for a couple of years.
Good thing the northwestern quarter of Loop 363 (between I-35 and SH36) is just about done being widened to 4 lanes with grade separations at SH36 and Wendeland. That will make the entire west side 4 lanes. I predict it will see a lot of use for the full year when Temple is still torn up but the rest of I-35 is done. Should have just built it as a full freeway, built a couple ramps, and rerouted I-35 to follow it. Make the old route I-235 or something and leave it as-is.

It's funny you mention that:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=9782.msg229710#msg229710

SquonkHunter

Quote from: dfwmapper on September 21, 2014, 05:16:02 PM

The segments you mention were some of the first parts of I-35 built in Texas in the late 50s and early 60s when the state speed limit was 60 mph. Texas was notoriously cheap about ROW acquisition back then. Add to that the fact that absolutely nobody thought the traffic numbers would ever grow to what they are today. Texas only had 9.6 million population in 1960 but is over 26 million today. Hence the problems you listed. It wasn't until later in the 60s when that shortsighted practice began to change. Just look at the newly completed sections now and see the difference in design and general attitudes about highway construction. Nowdays they will bulldoze a strip a quarter mile wide and think nothing of it. At least they are attempting to build for future growth. I'm a geezer and a Texas native so I saw most of this stuff happen over the years. 

Brian556

QuoteThe segments you mention were some of the first parts of I-35 built in Texas in the late 50s and early 60s when the state speed limit was 60 mph. Texas was notoriously cheap about ROW acquisition back then. Add to that the fact that absolutely nobody thought the traffic numbers would ever grow to what they are today. Texas only had 9.6 million population in 1960 but is over 26 million today. Hence the problems you listed. It wasn't until later in the 60s when that shortsighted practice began to change. Just look at the newly completed sections now and see the difference in design and general attitudes about highway construction. Nowdays they will bulldoze a strip a quarter mile wide and think nothing of it. At least they are attempting to build for future growth. I'm a geezer and a Texas native so I saw most of this stuff happen over the years. 

I've noticed that they are far less cheap than they used to be, an it's paying off. Here in Lewisville, they just bulldozed several homes built in 1998or9 in order to adequately widen I-35E.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.