News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-57 Approved

Started by US71, October 11, 2017, 09:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikieTimT

To get anywhere near Pocahontas, there's going to have to be a pretty large northwest jag from where the stub outs currently are at Walnut Ridge.  Either a sharp turn to go south and west of the airport there, or a more gradual curve back northwest around the airport.  Makes infinitely more sense to run along AR 34/90 and the railroad, which as most everyone already knows, picked the best spots to build to begin with before the roads came along.

sparker

Quote from: MikieTimT on August 04, 2018, 01:27:43 PM
To get anywhere near Pocahontas, there's going to have to be a pretty large northwest jag from where the stub outs currently are at Walnut Ridge.  Either a sharp turn to go south and west of the airport there, or a more gradual curve back northwest around the airport.  Makes infinitely more sense to run along AR 34/90 and the railroad, which as most everyone already knows, picked the best spots to build to begin with before the roads came along.

That's been pretty much everyone's conclusion -- except ARDOT and the local MPO; apparently the route skirting Pocahontas to the east and Corning to the west and paralleling US 67 in between is a done deal.  Rather than simply an interregional corridor, I-57 is, in the eyes of politicos within the state, also to be pressed into duty as a local bypass.  Reading between the lines, the two cities wanted to be able to maximize development along the bypass; running it across the river on AR 34/90 wouldn't have accomplished that.  For better or worse, this dynamic is increasingly S.O.P. for corridor development these days.

mgk920

Quote from: sparker on August 04, 2018, 02:21:59 PM

That's been pretty much everyone's conclusion -- except ARDOT and the local MPO; apparently the route skirting Pocahontas to the east and Corning to the west and paralleling US 67 in between is a done deal.  Rather than simply an interregional corridor, I-57 is, in the eyes of politicos within the state, also to be pressed into duty as a local bypass.  Reading between the lines, the two cities wanted to be able to maximize development along the bypass; running it across the river on AR 34/90 wouldn't have accomplished that.  For better or worse, this dynamic is increasingly S.O.P. for corridor development these days.

From what I gathered upthread, it will continue off of the ghost end of the highway and then curve northward.

Mike

Road Hog

It'll be super simple to jackhammer away any flirtation to the east.

Can't wait to see that pattern when the concrete is finally poured, though it may be 2030.  :banghead:

Road Hog

Any updates on the widening between Jacksonville and Cabot? Last time I was there they were finishing the southbound side and about ready to switch traffic over to the new concrete.

capt.ron

Quote from: Road Hog on August 28, 2018, 11:23:48 AM
Any updates on the widening between Jacksonville and Cabot? Last time I was there they were finishing the southbound side and about ready to switch traffic over to the new concrete.
The new southbound lanes from exit 16 to Vandenberg Blvd are open and all traffic has been routed to the new southbound side with a temp Jersey barrier in between the lane sets. The northbound lanes have been demolished and they are working on packing down the new lanes. It's dirt right now but they will be putting the black base soon.

mvak36

Some of the local leaders in Poplar Bluff have pitched I-57 to MODOT: https://standard-democrat.com/story/2562164.html. We'll see if anything comes out of this, but, in my opinion, any interstate designation is probably a ways away.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

The Ghostbuster

They will probably complete the freeway between Walnut Ridge and Sikeston before they erect Interstate 57 signs along the corridor.

sparker

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 27, 2018, 04:48:58 PM
They will probably complete the freeway between Walnut Ridge and Sikeston before they erect Interstate 57 signs along the corridor.

Probably right -- unless one or more of the towns along the US 67 freeway between NLR and Walnut Ridge starts clamoring for that freeway segment to get Interstate signage.  If that doesn't happen, then "future" signage, sporadic as it may be, will have to suffice for the present.   

MikieTimT

Quote from: mvak36 on October 26, 2018, 11:25:26 PM
Some of the local leaders in Poplar Bluff have pitched I-57 to MODOT: https://standard-democrat.com/story/2562164.html. We'll see if anything comes out of this, but, in my opinion, any interstate designation is probably a ways away.

Since the gas tax failed due to clouding road funding with other measures, any in-state funding of this stretch is indeed a stretch for quite a while.

Just drove the Little Rock to Cash section of Future I-57 3 days ago.  Travel was pretty smooth through the construction zones around Jacksonville, but looks to be a little while before they will be done.

MikieTimT

Well, it better skirt Pocahontas a pretty good ways to the east, otherwise, it better be well elevated as that area gets inundated fairly regularly.  It wasn't too long ago that Pocahontas made national news because of flooding.

sparker

Quote from: MikieTimT on November 12, 2018, 05:52:10 AM

Well, it better skirt Pocahontas a pretty good ways to the east, otherwise, it better be well elevated as that area gets inundated fairly regularly.  It wasn't too long ago that Pocahontas made national news because of flooding.

Looks like future I-57 will be sited just east of the downtown area and perched on a ledge above the river floodplain; it'll cross the Black River just east of the present US 67 bridge and and stay west of the Current River northeast of town.  Aside from performing its dual role as an interregional corridor and a local developmental route, it'll serve as an area evacuation route by staying above those floodplains -- pretty much doing on the west side what the railroad does on the east.   

Tomahawkin

Any word on when construction will start on the elevated section near the river/floodplain?

sparker

Quote from: Tomahawkin on November 12, 2018, 01:12:58 PM
Any word on when construction will start on the elevated section near the river/floodplain?

Haven't heard anything on the funding of the project; since the alignment itself was decided only recently, it's likely that construction won't begin until at least the mid-2020's.

MikieTimT

Quote from: sparker on November 12, 2018, 01:22:34 PM

Haven't heard anything on the funding of the project; since the alignment itself was decided only recently, it's likely that construction won't begin until at least the mid-2020's.

Given Missouri's recent rejection at the polls, funding is going to have to get creative, to say the least.  I guess Arkansas could still do up to and bypassing Pocahontas, but there isn't much impetus past that since Missouri isn't looking promising at this point to meet them at the state line.  Maybe Arkansas takes it up to as far as Corning if there's funding for it, then waits for Missouri to get serious about roads again.  I don't think there's anything in the kitty on the Connecting Arkansas Program funded by the half cent tax that's allocated to I-57 projects, other than in the Jacksonville/Cabot area, so it'll take some big pushes by both states before there's likely to be any progress north of Walnut Ridge in any event.  I keep picturing a Bella Vista Bypass scenario in NEA as well for some reason.

wdcrft63

Quote from: MikieTimT on November 13, 2018, 01:10:39 PM
Quote from: sparker on November 12, 2018, 01:22:34 PM

Given Missouri's recent rejection at the polls, funding is going to have to get creative, to say the least.  I guess Arkansas could still do up to and bypassing Pocahontas, but there isn't much impetus past that since Missouri isn't looking promising at this point to meet them at the state line.  Maybe Arkansas takes it up to as far as Corning if there's funding for it, then waits for Missouri to get serious about roads again.  I don't think there's anything in the kitty on the Connecting Arkansas Program funded by the half cent tax that's allocated to I-57 projects, other than in the Jacksonville/Cabot area, so it'll take some big pushes by both states before there's likely to be any progress north of Walnut Ridge in any event.  I keep picturing a Bella Vista Bypass scenario in NEA as well for some reason.

Democrats who just flipped the H of R say they're interested in an infrastructure package and McConnell says that's one thing parties might be able to agree on. I don't know how much credibility this has, but states should be putting their plans and priorities in order, just in case somebody asks for them.

edwaleni

As far as I know, MoDOT and ARDOT do not have a MOU or anything formal in place yet on where any future US-67 upgrade will meet around the state line.

So if anyone gets ahead of the other, I can't see anything substantial above Corning in Arkansas and below US160 in Missouri.

If anyone knows different please share.

I think everyone assumes it will happen at Taylor's Travel Center on State Line Road.

MikieTimT

Quote from: edwaleni on November 14, 2018, 04:48:13 PM
As far as I know, MoDOT and ARDOT do not have a MOU or anything formal in place yet on where any future US-67 upgrade will meet around the state line.

So if anyone gets ahead of the other, I can't see anything substantial above Corning in Arkansas and below US160 in Missouri.

If anyone knows different please share.

I think everyone assumes it will happen at Taylor's Travel Center on State Line Road.

As hard a time as Arkansas is having with the Missouri meeting them at the line for the Bella Vista Bypass, I can't see any MOU's for the foreseeable future as Missouri isn't actually proving to be a willing partner on interstate projects at this time.  Arkansas has been trying to pitch in for Missouri to get the last couple of rounds of federal grants to get funds for Missouri's portion, but to no avail.  Maybe with the House flipping, there could possibly be more federal funds available starting next year so that more grants get approved, but we'll have to wait and see how everyone gets along with the next Congress.

capt.ron

Quote from: capt.ron on August 29, 2018, 01:30:24 PM
Quote from: Road Hog on August 28, 2018, 11:23:48 AM
The new southbound lanes from exit 16 to Vandenberg Blvd are open and all traffic has been routed to the new southbound side with a temp Jersey barrier in between the lane sets. The northbound lanes have been demolished and they are working on packing down the new lanes. It's dirt right now but they will be putting the black base soon.
Northbound section is at least 85% complete. All that is needed is the completion of the exterior northbound barrier and the bridge a mile or so northeast of Vandenberg blvd. They are working at a fever pitch to get ahead of the bad weather this winter I guess. As far as the concrete goes for the lanes, it is very near completion. The orange sign now says the completion date is March, 2019. Once that barrier goes up and gets cured out, I expect to see the northbound traffic getting rerouted to the new side. Maybe within the next 1.5 to 2 months... The 6 lanes (3+3) won't happen until ALL of the barrier sections get completed, IMO.

US71

Quote from: capt.ron on November 26, 2018, 12:14:37 PM

Northbound section is at least 85% complete. All that is needed is the completion of the exterior northbound barrier and the bridge a mile or so northeast of Vandenberg blvd. They are working at a fever pitch to get ahead of the bad weather this winter I guess. As far as the concrete goes for the lanes, it is very near completion. The orange sign now says the completion date is March, 2019. Once that barrier goes up and gets cured out, I expect to see the northbound traffic getting rerouted to the new side. Maybe within the next 1.5 to 2 months... The 6 lanes (3+3) won't happen until ALL of the barrier sections get completed, IMO.

If they wait long enough ,they'll need 4+4
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Gordon

100512 Various 67 Walnut Ridge - Missouri State Line (Future I-57) Project Development 39.20 miles  $24,000 - TOTAL State 2022. Project development for this project on the STIP is another slow engineering project because of no money in year 2022.

I-39

Quote from: Gordon on December 23, 2018, 11:23:10 AM
100512 Various 67 Walnut Ridge - Missouri State Line (Future I-57) Project Development 39.20 miles  $24,000 - TOTAL State 2022. Project development for this project on the STIP is another slow engineering project because of no money in year 2022.

So nothing more on this until 2022?

US71

Quote from: I-39 on December 28, 2018, 05:03:53 PM
Quote from: Gordon on December 23, 2018, 11:23:10 AM

So nothing more on this until 2022?

Probably making improvements south of Walnut Ridge, which seems to be what they're always doing.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

capt.ron

An update to 67/167 (Future I-57) north of Vandenburg Blvd to exit 16...
New northbound lanes are open (well, for the most part. Read on.) but work continues on the concrete median barrier so the left most lanes in both directions are being closed in the evenings / overnight as they finish that up. For people passing through the area, keep that in mind. Looks like my prediction I made back in December has come to pass... I said in that post "in 2.5 months the northbound lanes would open, with the exception of a 3rd lane since work was still going to be done to the median (and outer barriers).
Exit 21 is about to be open as well. For those that aren't following the progress of AR 38 (North Cabot Bypass), they are just doing some final housekeeping before opening up the interchange. The paving is done. Signs are posted but most are covered.

GreenLanternCorps

This may have been mentioned up thread but what is the reason that Arkansas DOT has not signed US 167/US 67 as I-57?  IIRC it is approved and the road itself is connected to the interstate system and meets interstate standards.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.