News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Should All Interstates be 6-laned?

Started by thisdj78, March 13, 2024, 12:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhyLifeIs4

I-894 I don't think could handle 6 lanes with the space 4 lanes already takes up but who knows, they might do it, keyword being might
Cliniched every Wisconsin State highway except the entirety of WI-16

I will be in Kerryville for the Eclipse!

:bigass:

sprjus4

Quote from: WhyLifeIs4 on March 26, 2024, 02:04:03 PMI-894 I don't think could handle 6 lanes with the space 4 lanes already takes up but who knows, they might do it, keyword being might
Is there a part of I-894 that's only 4 lanes?

hobsini2

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 26, 2024, 05:30:01 PM
Quote from: WhyLifeIs4 on March 26, 2024, 02:04:03 PMI-894 I don't think could handle 6 lanes with the space 4 lanes already takes up but who knows, they might do it, keyword being might

If I recall, only at the Hales Interchange with I-43. Through traffic is 2 lanes each in the interchange.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

sprjus4

Quote from: hobsini2 on March 26, 2024, 05:37:51 PM

If I recall, only at the Hales Interchange with I-43. Through traffic is 2 lanes each in the interchange.
Google Maps shows 6 lanes (3 lanes each way) through there. I can't find any part of I-894 that is only 4 lanes.

Big John

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 26, 2024, 05:40:06 PM

Google Maps shows 6 lanes (3 lanes each way) through there. I can't find any part of I-894 that is only 4 lanes.
That was once the case, but it has been expanded.

hobsini2

That's right. They did stripe it as 3 lanes each way with no shoulders recently.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

WhyLifeIs4

Wait i just realized that
Quote from: hobsini2 on March 26, 2024, 05:44:01 PM

That's right. They did stripe it as 3 lanes each way with no shoulders recently.
Cliniched every Wisconsin State highway except the entirety of WI-16

I will be in Kerryville for the Eclipse!

:bigass:

Plutonic Panda

I like the movie cars where when The main character was in the back of the pick up truck and they were driving all the way from. I think it was Indianapolis or maybe Daytona I can't remember they were driving West to Los Angeles and every single interstate they were on with three lanes each way.

epzik8

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 28, 2024, 03:59:01 PMI like the movie cars where when The main character was in the back of the pick up truck and they were driving all the way from. I think it was Indianapolis or maybe Daytona I can't remember they were driving West to Los Angeles and every single interstate they were on with three lanes each way.

First time I've seen someone not know who Lightning McQueen was.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Big John

Quote from: epzik8 on March 30, 2024, 03:54:00 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 28, 2024, 03:59:01 PMI like the movie cars where when The main character was in the back of the pick up truck and they were driving all the way from. I think it was Indianapolis or maybe Daytona I can't remember they were driving West to Los Angeles and every single interstate they were on with three lanes each way.

I just had to google it.

kkt

I'm sure that's down to not wanting to make more animation than they had to over a very minor point.

signalman

All Interstates should be 10 lanes. It's possible that one may encounter an egotistical driver whose sole purpose is to police the roads and go precisely the speed limit in the left lane and attempt to block people from passing, even in the most remote areas. Then there are semis micro passing and other vehicular obstacles. 10 lanes should suffice in allowing one to slalom around annoyances. This is murica, dammit. We deserve better!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: signalman on March 30, 2024, 08:46:01 PMAll Interstates should be 10 lanes. It's possible that one may encounter an egotistical driver whose sole purpose is to police the roads and go precisely the speed limit in the left lane and attempt to block people from passing, even in the most remote areas. Then there are semis micro passing and other vehicular obstacles. 10 lanes should suffice in allowing one to slalom around annoyances. This is murica, dammit. We deserve better!

And auxiliary lanes between every exit, no matter the length.

Road Hog

Anything under 30K ADV should be OK with 4 lanes as long as it's not a major trucking route. There's the rub, though.

Rick Powell

Quote from: hobsini2 on March 26, 2024, 02:02:19 PMI would even say I-80 through the Illinois Valley area (IL 26 to IL 71) could warrant 6 lanes. You have Princeton, Spring Valley, Peru, La Salle, Utica and Ottawa all lined up on that stretch. Those 6 cities combine for over 53k.
IDOT has a long range plan to widen I-80 to 6 lanes between I-39 and I-55 based on a feasibility study done years ago. Every new bridge rehab in that stretch is made compatible with the additional lanes, including the re-done interchanges at Utica MP 81 and Seneca MP 105, as well as the stretch from MP 115 west of Brisbin Road to Minooka. I don't recall that they have looked any further west with a similar study.

Hopefully District 3 will soon convert the MP 115 to MP 122 stretch to 6 lanes to be compatible with the 6-8 lane section thru Joliet now being built. The shoulders of that section were built with pavement reinforcement and are 12' wide, and the bridges are all 6 lane compatible, so all it would take is the addition of new outside shoulders.

Rick Powell

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 13, 2024, 10:50:46 PM
Quote from: Rick Powell on March 13, 2024, 02:13:58 AMI-80 from the Quad Cities to I-39 and rural I-55 (except for the Bloomington-Normal, Springfield and Metro St Louis areas) are OK as 4-lanes.

I-55 between IL 104 and IL 157 needs to go to at least six lanes, with auxiliary lanes in the Troy area.  It's very noticeable how much traffic flow improves or degrades at IL 104 where the existing six lane section ends.

I suspect that any lane additions will start along the I-55/70 multiplex from IL 157 and go north/east, and definitely could see adding lanes up through the Troy area at some point. It will be a long time if ever that the remaining gap to the Pawnee IL 104 exit will be closed with lane additions.

Plutonic Panda

Give me a break. I was drunk out of my mind and I just couldn't think at all other than the movie and remembering how happy seeing six lanes of all interstates made me. I'm aware of lightning McQueen. Come on.

Rothman

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 03, 2024, 01:24:57 AM

Give me a break. I was drunk out of my mind and I just couldn't think at all other than the movie and remembering how happy seeing six lanes of all interstates made me. I'm aware of lightning McQueen. Come on.

Hm.  People posting drunk on here seems to be a common phenomenon.

Being under the influence does not absolve one from accountability for one's actions.  Quite the opposite. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Rothman on April 03, 2024, 07:01:50 AM

Hm.  People posting drunk on here seems to be a common phenomenon.

Being under the influence does not absolve one from accountability for one's actions.  Quite the opposite. :D
I sure can't argue with that

achilles765

Not all. But for sure IH 10 from San Antonio all the way to Jacksonville should be. All of IH 12, all of IH 37, 45, all of IH 35 in Texas needs to be at least eight lanes from Laredo to Oklahoma.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

sprjus4

Quote from: achilles765 on April 03, 2024, 03:41:38 PMNot all. But for sure IH 10 from San Antonio all the way to Jacksonville should be. All of IH 12, all of IH 37, 45, all of IH 35 in Texas needs to be at least eight lanes from Laredo to Oklahoma.
Granted, I haven't driven I-37 on the most frequent basis, but does it really warrant 6 lanes? I don't think I've ever encountered traffic to the point it would warrant a multi-billion dollar expansion. Perhaps on a select few weekends, but I don't see it being a regular occurance.

Widening I-10 between Houston and San Antonio, and I-45 between Dallas and Houston is a much higher priority.

epzik8

I apologize.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

kphoger

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 03, 2024, 09:55:00 PM
Quote from: achilles765 on April 03, 2024, 03:41:38 PMNot all. But for sure IH 10 from San Antonio all the way to Jacksonville should be. All of IH 12, all of IH 37, 45, all of IH 35 in Texas needs to be at least eight lanes from Laredo to Oklahoma.

Granted, I haven't driven I-37 on the most frequent basis, but does it really warrant 6 lanes? I don't think I've ever encountered traffic to the point it would warrant a multi-billion dollar expansion. Perhaps on a select few weekends, but I don't see it being a regular occurance.

Widening I-10 between Houston and San Antonio, and I-45 between Dallas and Houston is a much higher priority.

Most of I-35 between San Antonio and Laredo also doesn't warrant six lanes.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on April 05, 2024, 04:04:23 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on April 03, 2024, 09:55:00 PM

Most of I-35 between San Antonio and Laredo also doesn't warrant six lanes.

I would much, much rather see I-35 eight-laned between San Antonio and Austin than six lanes anywhere south of San Antonio - and that applies to both I-35 and I-37. I've driven the length of I-37 twice and it's decently busy, but moves well and does not need to be a high priority for widening IMO.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.