News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JREwing78

Quote from: tdindy88 on November 13, 2022, 09:40:51 AM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on November 13, 2022, 06:47:05 AM
No control city on I-469?

There's never been one. Though it's been argued by some (myself included) that Toledo would be a good fit, or at least Ohio. In Fort Wayne for some reason INDOT isn't interested in signing any of that.

Ideally, I-469 would show both Toledo and Lima as control cities, but at least mentioning Toledo would be helpful.

amroad17

Quote from: JREwing78 on November 13, 2022, 03:05:49 PM

There's never been one. Though it's been argued by some (myself included) that Toledo would be a good fit, or at least Ohio. In Fort Wayne for some reason INDOT isn't interested in signing any of that.

Ideally, I-469 would show both Toledo and Lima as control cities, but at least mentioning Toledo would be helpful.
I could see Toledo posted on an auxiliary sign for Exit 315 on I-69 NB.  The lack of a control city on the main sign is not a new thing for motorists in the Ft. Wayne area.

Where the control cities need to be posted are at the I-469/US 24 (21) and I-469/US 30 (19) interchanges.  Ever since I-469 (before that, IN 469) opened, US 24 and US 30 have not had control cities posted.  It felt as if there was an abyss east of Ft. Wayne.  US 24 should have Toledo posted and US 30 should have either Van Wert or Lima posted.  There should also be a post interchange mileage sign on both US 24 and US 30 posting the distances to Defiance and Toledo (for US 24) and to Van Wert and Lima (for US 30). 

I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

silverback1065

Quote from: Alps on November 12, 2022, 07:16:07 PM
they could plan some font size work too

Yeah, occasionally the font's a little wonky. You see this a few times in Indiana but most signs are like the I-69/I-465 ones shown above.

the us 24 exit should say toledo and detroit but it says nothing  :-D

JoePCool14

Quote from: tdindy88 on November 12, 2022, 01:04:53 PM
Since it was all snowy outside today I'm staying home and looking at different road plans. I took a look at the plans today over the new I-465/I-69 interchange on the northeast side and was curious with how they were planning on signing things along that corridor. No real big surprises but certainly a lot of large one-arrow-per-lane signs. At least the one thing with Indiana is they don't do a bad job on these. With this combined with the future plans for I-465 on the northwest side there's going to a lot of these large signs on the north end of 465 in the future. Also with these plans, Hello Evansville! I-69 gets signed for I-465 and Evansville is the control city from the northeast side of Indianapolis. Which is fair since Fort Wayne will be signed at the junction on the southwest side.

This makes me wonder if the in the future we'll be seeing both Fort Wayne and Evansville at the east side I-70 interchange with I-465 going by current trends. Likewise on the south side with both 69 and 74 combined will we see dual controls, Peoria and Evansville for the westbound and Cincinnati and Fort Wayne for the eastbound.

More importantly for some people, the north end of I-465 is going to be wide and impressive when all of this is done.

But not to worry, not all is perfect, here's a scan of a planned new sign at I-69 and I-469 on the north side of Fort Wayne (I guess they're planning some lane work up there.)

Nice seeing the Lansing (ControlCityFreak was mentioning a lack of pull-throughs on I-69 in Fort Wayne) but the I-469/US 24-30 sign lacks any new control city.

Of course the 3/4ths error makes another appearance. :pan: Again, it goes to show how it needs to be rewritten for 2023. Looking beyond that, there's a few oddities in the 465 plans. Stay Right instead of Keep Right. Incorrect amount of yellow for the second 37A sign. Copious amounts of white/green space on some of the signs. Overall, they look good, but I wish 465 had controls posted.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

silverback1065

Quote from: JoePCool14 on November 14, 2022, 09:58:52 AM
Quote from: tdindy88 on November 12, 2022, 01:04:53 PM
Since it was all snowy outside today I'm staying home and looking at different road plans. I took a look at the plans today over the new I-465/I-69 interchange on the northeast side and was curious with how they were planning on signing things along that corridor. No real big surprises but certainly a lot of large one-arrow-per-lane signs. At least the one thing with Indiana is they don't do a bad job on these. With this combined with the future plans for I-465 on the northwest side there's going to a lot of these large signs on the north end of 465 in the future. Also with these plans, Hello Evansville! I-69 gets signed for I-465 and Evansville is the control city from the northeast side of Indianapolis. Which is fair since Fort Wayne will be signed at the junction on the southwest side.

This makes me wonder if the in the future we'll be seeing both Fort Wayne and Evansville at the east side I-70 interchange with I-465 going by current trends. Likewise on the south side with both 69 and 74 combined will we see dual controls, Peoria and Evansville for the westbound and Cincinnati and Fort Wayne for the eastbound.

More importantly for some people, the north end of I-465 is going to be wide and impressive when all of this is done.

But not to worry, not all is perfect, here's a scan of a planned new sign at I-69 and I-469 on the north side of Fort Wayne (I guess they're planning some lane work up there.)

Nice seeing the Lansing (ControlCityFreak was mentioning a lack of pull-throughs on I-69 in Fort Wayne) but the I-469/US 24-30 sign lacks any new control city.

Of course the 3/4ths error makes another appearance. :pan: Again, it goes to show how it needs to be rewritten for 2023. Looking beyond that, there's a few oddities in the 465 plans. Stay Right instead of Keep Right. Incorrect amount of yellow for the second 37A sign. Copious amounts of white/green space on some of the signs. Overall, they look good, but I wish 465 had controls posted.

what's the 3/4ths error?  :hmmm:

JoePCool14

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 14, 2022, 12:52:55 PM
what's the 3/4ths error?  :hmmm:

It's the Error that makes Signs look like This

Engineers read the phrase in the MUTCD that states that lowercase letters should be 3/4ths the size of uppercase letters, and then instead of letting the font do what it's already designed to do, change the font size of lowercase letters, which results in 3/4ths times 3/4ths (double 3/4ths).

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

bmeiser

Anybody have any idea when the CR 550 / I-65 exit is going to open in Boone County? I found an article stating "by November", but that didn't happen. I haven't seen anything going on over there lately and it looks pretty much complete. I mainly just want to use the bridge so I don't have to go up to the crazy 267 interchange.

hockeyjohn

The SR 37 intersection with 141st Street in Fishers will be temporarily converted into a RIRO configuration until an interchange is built at some yet to be determined date.   https://37thrives.com/updates/

Now if INDOT will do something about the strange, short three-lane situations that have been created between 135th and 141st Streets.   It's hard to succinctly describe the situation, but long story short, going northbound the left lane ends after 135th Street replaced by a continuing merging lane from 135th Street effectively requiring all through traffic to have to shift right one lane.   Southbound is basically the opposite with all through traffic having to shift one lane left.   The signage for both situations is terrible and I'm surprised this hasn't caused a number of accidents.

silverback1065

Quote from: bmeiser on December 01, 2022, 03:04:27 PM
Anybody have any idea when the CR 550 / I-65 exit is going to open in Boone County? I found an article stating "by November", but that didn't happen. I haven't seen anything going on over there lately and it looks pretty much complete. I mainly just want to use the bridge so I don't have to go up to the crazy 267 interchange.

hate to break it to you, but it's literally the exact same interchange design  :-D

silverback1065

Quote from: hockeyjohn on December 01, 2022, 03:57:31 PM
The SR 37 intersection with 141st Street in Fishers will be temporarily converted into a RIRO configuration until an interchange is built at some yet to be determined date.   https://37thrives.com/updates/

Now if INDOT will do something about the strange, short three-lane situations that have been created between 135th and 141st Streets.   It's hard to succinctly describe the situation, but long story short, going northbound the left lane ends after 135th Street replaced by a continuing merging lane from 135th Street effectively requiring all through traffic to have to shift right one lane.   Southbound is basically the opposite with all through traffic having to shift one lane left.   The signage for both situations is terrible and I'm surprised this hasn't caused a number of accidents.

Fishers did this project. INDOT gave them control until the job was done. the lane config is dumb af and poorly signed too. they need to do something about that.

bmeiser

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 01, 2022, 09:11:00 PM
Quote from: bmeiser on December 01, 2022, 03:04:27 PM

hate to break it to you, but it's literally the exact same interchange design  :-D
Well by "crazy" I meant "crazy busy". I don't mind the DDI. I just want a quicker route to work!

Pixel 6

silverback1065

I saw some map in the past, I believe it was a future map of whitestown, it had RR Pkwy somehow tying into 267 near 65 and 550 doing this weird reverse curve north. so i guess thats the future plans for that area

bmeiser

Yeah I know there's definitely rumors of extending Ronald Regan up to 65 but no set plans. It would be nice, though!

Would be interested to see that map if you could find it.

ITB

Quote from: bmeiser on December 02, 2022, 10:00:58 AM
Yeah I know there's definitely rumors of extending Ronald Regan up to 65 but no set plans. It would be nice, though!

There's a couple of schematics featuring a proposed Ronald Reagan Pkwy. extension in the 2022 Whitestown Comprehensive Plan. Check out pages 48 and 58.

XamotCGC

Why isn't Muncie a control city on I 69?
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

tdindy88

Quote from: XamotCGC on December 04, 2022, 12:29:49 AM
Why isn't Muncie a control city on I 69?

Absolutely no reason to do so. Indiana doesn't do mid-sized cities for controls on interstates, one of the things it does very well. Fort Wayne is the best choice by far. Also, Muncie is roughly ten miles off the interstate, you don't even notice Muncie when you're on I-69, so there's more or a reason to not have it as a control city.

Flint1979

Seriously Toledo and Lima on I-469? If anything the control cities should be Lansing and Indianapolis.

bmeiser

Quote from: ITB on December 03, 2022, 07:41:17 PM
Quote from: bmeiser on December 02, 2022, 10:00:58 AM

There's a couple of schematics featuring a proposed Ronald Reagan Pkwy. extension in the 2022 Whitestown Comprehensive Plan. Check out pages 48 and 58.
Wow, this is pretty awesome. Thank you for finding that!

Pixel 6

pianocello

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 04, 2022, 07:31:35 AM
Seriously Toledo and Lima on I-469? If anything the control cities should be Lansing and Indianapolis.

Pretty sure I-469's purpose is to serve E-W traffic around Fort Wayne, not N-S.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

amroad17

Quote from: pianocello on December 04, 2022, 02:54:03 PM

I-469 does not need control cities.  Maybe there could be auxiliary signs NB on I-69 posting Toledo both at Exit 296 and at Exit 315.  As I stated in a prior post, Toledo should be posted at the US 24 interchange and Lima or Van Wert should be posted at the US 30 interchange.

As an aside, I believe Ft. Wayne should be posted at the US 24/I-475 interchange in Maumee, OH.

Originally, in the late 1980's, I-469 was simply constructed as a US 24 bypass of Ft. Wayne as it ran from US 24 to I-69 southwest of Ft. Wayne.  It was signed just as US 24, then had US 33 and IN 469 added a few years later.

Unfortunately, Indiana routed US 24 north on I-69 back to its original routing.  What should have happened was Indiana should have upgraded Lafayette Center Road from I-69 to US 24 in Roanoke before the businesses west of I-69 sprung up.  It could have been constructed the way it is currently.  Then US 24 could have been routed along Lafayette Center and Indiana wouldn't have to change the routing to around the north and west of Ft. Wayne as they did some years ago.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.i65us52improvement.com/

INDOT has made a website for the I-65/US 52 interchange improvement project north of Lebanon. The public meeting is scheduled at the Lebanon High School on December 15, 2022, at 5 pm EST.

silverback1065

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on December 04, 2022, 11:51:31 PM

INDOT has made a website for the I-65/US 52 interchange improvement project north of Lebanon. The public meeting is scheduled at the Lebanon High School on December 15, 2022, at 5 pm EST.

interesting. never even heard of this project. i do remember indot saying a new interchange would be built between 52 and 47. didn't know they would also be doing something to this one too.

PurdueBill

Quote from: amroad17 on December 04, 2022, 08:17:00 PM
Quote from: pianocello on December 04, 2022, 02:54:03 PM

I-469 does not need control cities.  Maybe there could be auxiliary signs NB on I-69 posting Toledo both at Exit 296 and at Exit 315.  As I stated in a prior post, Toledo should be posted at the US 24 interchange and Lima or Van Wert should be posted at the US 30 interchange.

As an aside, I believe Ft. Wayne should be posted at the US 24/I-475 interchange in Maumee, OH.

Originally, in the late 1980's, I-469 was simply constructed as a US 24 bypass of Ft. Wayne as it ran from US 24 to I-69 southwest of Ft. Wayne.  It was signed just as US 24, then had US 33 and IN 469 added a few years later.

Unfortunately, Indiana routed US 24 north on I-69 back to its original routing.  What should have happened was Indiana should have upgraded Lafayette Center Road from I-69 to US 24 in Roanoke before the businesses west of I-69 sprung up.  It could have been constructed the way it is currently.  Then US 24 could have been routed along Lafayette Center and Indiana wouldn't have to change the routing to around the north and west of Ft. Wayne as they did some years ago.

It was very weird that they rerouted US 24 when they did, when the Lafayette Center Road project was about to start and it was known that the new road would be 55-mph 4-lane feeding right into/off of 469.  Driving out through there fairly frequently coming from US 30 and then going to US 24 westbound, I would never follow the signed route of 24, and it seems like most people don't either.

It is interesting that even back when US 24 eastbound came up to Roanoke and through it up to I-69, then ran south down to 469 and then eastbound, INDOT signed the turn onto the old CR 900/Lafayette Center as the way to the FWA airport.  Doing so then would put you back on US 24 in a few miles.  Might as well route 24 itself onto it now that the railroad overpass is done and the road is widened!

tosa

"The proposed project includes the improvement of the I-65/US 52 interchange, which may result in the relocation of the interchange to the north."  
It seems the new interchange will be at 65/300N.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: tosa on December 06, 2022, 11:17:21 AM

"The proposed project includes the improvement of the I-65/US 52 interchange, which may result in the relocation of the interchange to the north."  
It seems the new interchange will be at 65/300N.

There are several alternatives under consideration; 300N is just one. They're also looking at 250N, and three points which would be north of 300N.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.