Future I-57/US 67

Started by bugo, June 14, 2012, 08:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

While all the attention has been on the I-49 and 69 corridors, Arkansas is quietly upgrading the US 67/Future I-30 corridor into a freeway.  The freeway now extends to AR 226, and the segment from 226 to Hoxie is shown as under construction on the 2012 AHTD highway map (A short section bypassing Hoxie and Walnut Ridge has been open for several years.)  This will leave a gap between the US 67 freeway in Arkansas to the US 67 freeway in Missouri, a distance of about 60 miles.  I believe we will see I-30 completed before I-49 or 69 will be.

=====

Admin note: H.R. 244 signed into law 05/05/17 officially designates US 67 as I-57 (p. 663/708 of pdf).  Thus reason for thread rename.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=6930.msg2224261#msg2224261

-rmf67

bassoon1986

So is that project actually going to be a continued I-30, or is that just roadgeeking wishful thinking?

Grzrd

Quote from: bassoon1986 on June 14, 2012, 10:25:09 PM
So is that project actually going to be a continued I-30, or is that just roadgeeking wishful thinking?

One recent article reports that it will be finished in four to six years:

Quote from: Grzrd on May 11, 2012, 08:06:03 AM
This article indicates that Arkansas plans to finish the project all the way to the Missouri state line in "four to six years":
And when it comes to roads .... And diagonally across the state along Highway 67. The goal is to extend the renovations to the Missouri line. The department is hoping to complete construction in the next four to six years
(above quote from US 67 Extension thread)

Another article indicates that Arkansas Governor Beebe favors the I-30 designation, but that he is also open to the possibility of an interim expressway construction from Walnut Ridge to the Missouri state line:

Quote from: Grzrd on May 21, 2012, 09:50:35 PM
I recently came across this January 27, 2012 article in which Arkansas Governor Mike Beebe is reported to favor an Interstate 30 designation for the US 67 extension, but that he is also open to a "divided four lane" design that could later be converted to interstate grade:
The governor wants to see Highway 67 designated as Interstate 30, but is open to building a "divided four-lane" that could be expanded to interstate standards in the future ... Beebe also said he would support designating Highway 67 as a high priority corridor.
AHTD Director Scott Bennett was reported to have stressed the need for a feasibility study on the US 67 extension options from Walnut Ridge to the Missouri state line:
Several options are being studied on the route Highway 67 will take from Walnut Ridge to the Missouri state line. It is not known when an option will be selected. The Missouri Department of Transportation is awaiting a decision by Arkansas officials before extending the four lanes to the state line .... He stated the need to move forward with a preliminary feasibility study on all the Highway 67 options north of Walnut Ridge ... Bennett does not think the existing five-lane section between Walnut Ridge and Pocahontas could be converted to meet interstate standards.

It's more than wishful thinking, but money problems may delay it for quite a while.

dariusb

Will this eventually be built all the way to St. Louis?
It's a new day for a new beginning.

NE2

Yes, as a second deck on top of I-55.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

So is that project actually going to be a continued I-30, or is that just wishful thinking?

AHTD refers it as "Future I-30" in some of their documents.

bugo

Quote from: dariusb on June 15, 2012, 01:54:42 AM
Will this eventually be built all the way to St. Louis?

It will probably end at the US 60/I-55/I-57 interchange.

mgk920

I would number it as 'I-57'.

Mike

Grzrd

Quote from: wtd67 on May 22, 2012, 10:26:04 AM
Article on ABC station Kait 8 in Jonesboro about US 67
http://www.kait8.com/story/18574000/construction-surges-ahead-on-hwy-67-hwy-226
... Highway 226 is being expanded to a 4-lane to eventually tie with 49 by Gibson Switch. Crews from Dumey Construction had tractors with scoops working today to clear a barrow pit and begin the preliminary earthwork where the overpass will go over the tracks and the existing county highway.
Smithee said it's off to a good start. "That project was let in December of last year and has begun with the good weather that we've had and I think our estimated completion date for it is late 2013."

In the past, I have read speculation about the AR 226 corridor from Jonesboro to US 67 becoming I-730 (with US 67 presumably becoming I-30).  After reading the above article about AR 226 construction, I emailed AHTD with a few questions:

Q: With Missouri backing off of interstate-grade construction on US 67 up to St. Louis, is AHTD still planning to build US 67 to interstate-grade specifications from Walnut Ridge to the Missouri state line?

A: We are unsure at this time if we will continue with Interstate-grade or not.

Q: I have read in the past that Jonesboro political figures would like the AR 226 connection between US 67 and US 49 to be designated as Future I-730 (with US 67 north of  I-40 being designated as I-30).

A:  I-30 north of I-40 will likely never happen because of your question about MO — since they have backed off it will keep the roadway from being I-30 — which has been part of the plan for many many years.

Q: Is the AR 226 project that was let in December, 2011 being built to interstate-grade specifications?  If so, is there an intent for there to be an interstate-grade connection between Future I-555 and US 67?

A: The intent has always been to provide a four-lane interstate-grade from LR to 226 and over to Jonesboro as well as from Jonesboro to Marion and I-55. There are some issue with signing I-555 even though to the public it appears to be an Interstate.

With MoDOT's money woes apparently killing an extended I-30, I wonder if AHTD will now think in terms of an I-30 spur from Little Rock to Jonesboro, i.e. an extended I-730 that would be similar to the I-540 "I-40 spur" from Alma/I-40 northward. Or, would Walnut Ridge get I-730 and Jonesboro to I-730 would become I-930?

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on June 15, 2012, 03:57:43 PM
I emailed AHTD with a few questions:
Q: With Missouri backing off of interstate-grade construction on US 67 up to St. Louis, is AHTD still planning to build US 67 to interstate-grade specifications from Walnut Ridge to the Missouri state line?
Q: I have read in the past that Jonesboro political figures would like the AR 226 connection between US 67 and US 49 to be designated as Future I-730 (with US 67 north of  I-40 being designated as I-30).
A:  I-30 north of I-40 will likely never happen because of your question about MO – since they have backed off it will keep the roadway from being I-30 – which has been part of the plan for many many years.

This May 30, 2012 article indicates that the Northeast Arkansas Regional Intermodal Facilities Authority (NEARIFA) understands the political and financial reality of MoDOT's decision to back off of a freeway connection by focusing its efforts on a five-lane expressway extension from Walnut Ridge to the Missouri state line:

Northeast Arkansas Regional Intermodal Facilities Authority (NEARIFA) board members ... were also encouraged to work diligently to ensure Highway 67 becomes a four-lane expressway from Walnut Ridge into Missouri .... US Highway 67, which is a two-lane road from north of Pocahontas to the Missouri state line. The Authority would like to see Highway 67 become a five-lane (expressway) from Walnut Ridge to Poplar Bluff, Mo. However, the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department has no plans to build one anytime in the near future. It is not on their list of priorities.

If the regional authority is only pushing for an expressway, I'm sure AHTD could find plenty of other places to spend the savings from not pursuing interstate-grade construction.

msunat97

I wish Arkansas DOT would spend some $$ on the maintenance of 67 in Jacksonville.  It sucks leaving the smooth ride of 67 in Sherwood & then going into Jacksonville section that is full of patches & bumps.

US71

Quote from: msunat97 on July 21, 2012, 05:57:08 PM
I wish Arkansas DOT would spend some $$ on the maintenance of 67 in Jacksonville.  It sucks leaving the smooth ride of 67 in Sherwood & then going into Jacksonville section that is full of patches & bumps.

Wasn't 67 just improved a couple years ago?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

msunat97

67 was improved in the NLR & Sherwood areas.  It is nice going north of Cabot into Searcy & Bald Knob.  The area in Jacksonville is congested & tight.  The ride through those other sections is pretty smooth.

Chris

Is there an ETA on the US 67 freeway between AR-226 and Hoxie? Construction commenced around 2009 according to Google Earth historical imagery. Considering 2.5 - 3 years is about average for a rural freeway, they could (should) be finished by now.

Grzrd

The last time I checked (US 67 Extension thread), the grading and structures contracts are scheduled to be completed in December, and at least one of the two paving contracts has already been awarded.  2015 seems like a good guess as to when it may be open to traffic.

Road Hog

Quote from: wtd67 on May 22, 2012, 10:26:04 AM
Article on ABC station Kait 8 in Jonesboro about US 67
http://www.kait8.com/story/18574000/construction-surges-ahead-on-hwy-67-hwy-226
... Highway 226 is being expanded to a 4-lane to eventually tie with 49 by Gibson Switch. Crews from Dumey Construction had tractors with scoops working today to clear a barrow pit and begin the preliminary earthwork where the overpass will go over the tracks and the existing county highway.
Smithee said it's off to a good start. "That project was let in December of last year and has begun with the good weather that we've had and I think our estimated completion date for it is late 2013."

In the past, I have read speculation about the AR 226 corridor from Jonesboro to US 67 becoming I-730 (with US 67 presumably becoming I-30).  After reading the above article about AR 226 construction, I emailed AHTD with a few questions:

A:  I-30 north of I-40 will likely never happen because of your question about MO — since they have backed off it will keep the roadway from being I-30 — which has been part of the plan for many many years.

Q: Is the AR 226 project that was let in December, 2011 being built to interstate-grade specifications?  If so, is there an intent for there to be an interstate-grade connection between Future I-555 and US 67?

A: The intent has always been to provide a four-lane interstate-grade from LR to 226 and over to Jonesboro as well as from Jonesboro to Marion and I-55. There are some issue with signing I-555 even though to the public it appears to be an Interstate.

With MoDOT's money woes apparently killing an extended I-30, I wonder if AHTD will now think in terms of an I-30 spur from Little Rock to Jonesboro, i.e. an extended I-730 that would be similar to the I-540 "I-40 spur" from Alma/I-40 northward. Or, would Walnut Ridge get I-730 and Jonesboro to I-730 would become I-930?

It would have to be an x40 spur, not an x30 spur, because the 67-167 interchange is at I-40 and the North Belt Freeway will also be I-440.

I don't favor calling it I-30 at all because it's more north-south than east-west. Especially if they ever build the thing to St. Louis, which I doubt they will. Never mind the fact that it would be crossing I-40. Since it duplicates US 67 in Arkansas, I-57 is fine.

bugo

Maybe Missouri will change its mind and build it as a full freeway as far north as Poplar Bluff.

And the current I-30 in AR is SW-NE, just like US 67 is north of NLR.  Signing it east-west would be no problem.

Grzrd

Quote from: Road Hog on September 07, 2012, 12:30:19 AM
In the past, I have read speculation about the AR 226 corridor from Jonesboro to US 67 becoming I-730 (with US 67 presumably becoming I-30).  After reading ... about AR 226 construction, I emailed AHTD with a few questions:
A: The intent has always been to provide a four-lane interstate-grade from LR to 226 and over to Jonesboro as well as from Jonesboro to Marion and I-55.
It would have to be an x40 spur, not an x30 spur, because the 67-167 interchange is at I-40 and the North Belt Freeway will also be I-440.

This article reports that one AR 226 project was awarded on Sept.12 and another project should be let later this year:

The Arkansas Highway Commission has awarded a $37.8 million contract to widen a highway that will provide a direct, four-lane route between Little Rock and Jonesboro, in the northeastern part of the state.
The commission on Sept. 12 approved a contract for Arkansas 226, which will link U.S. 49 near Jonesboro to U.S. 67 near Newport. The project involves the construction of two more lanes for about 3 miles on Arkansas 226 from its new connector to U.S. 49 at Gibson, the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported (http://is.gd/hRygZX ) ....
Another contract will be awarded later this year to widen 1.85 miles of Arkansas 226 west to the future Cash bypass.

I am not sure if the AR 226 "widening" is an upgrade to interstate-grade; my suspicion is it is not.

rte66man

Quote from: Grzrd on September 26, 2012, 11:27:37 AM

This article reports that one AR 226 project was awarded on Sept.12 and another project should be let later this year:

The Arkansas Highway Commission has awarded a $37.8 million contract to widen a highway that will provide a direct, four-lane route between Little Rock and Jonesboro, in the northeastern part of the state.
The commission on Sept. 12 approved a contract for Arkansas 226, which will link U.S. 49 near Jonesboro to U.S. 67 near Newport. The project involves the construction of two more lanes for about 3 miles on Arkansas 226 from its new connector to U.S. 49 at Gibson, the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported (http://is.gd/hRygZX ) ....
Another contract will be awarded later this year to widen 1.85 miles of Arkansas 226 west to the future Cash bypass.

I am not sure if the AR 226 "widening" is an upgrade to interstate-grade; my suspicion is it is not.

$37.8 million for 3 miles of EXTREMEMLY flat road better be more than 2 more lanes.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Road Hog

Quote from: rte66man on September 26, 2012, 05:55:41 PM

$37.8 million for 3 miles of EXTREMEMLY flat road better be more than 2 more lanes.

rte66man

Needs to be 12 miles longer, too.

Grzrd

rte66man

I briefly looked for the project plans on the AHTD website, but, to date, I don't think they have transferred them from the Preletting section to the Postletting section.  However, I did find the Plans for the section from the December, 2011 letting, which basically provides a new terrain connection from the current AR 226 to US 49.  Those plans describe that section as a "partially controlled access facility" and have schematics for intersections, which smells like an expressway to me.  That said, maybe the widened section of AR 226 let in September will be a "fully controlled access facility."  I suppose the website will be updated in a month or so.

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on September 27, 2012, 01:59:29 PM
rte66man

I briefly looked for the project plans on the AHTD website, but, to date, I don't think they have transferred them from the Preletting section to the Postletting section.  However, I did find the Plans for the section from the December, 2011 letting, which basically provides a new terrain connection from the current AR 226 to US 49.  Those plans describe that section as a "partially controlled access facility" and have schematics for intersections, which smells like an expressway to me.

Sounds like the Vilonia US 64 Bypass.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on June 15, 2012, 11:37:39 PM
I emailed AHTD with a few questions:
This May 30, 2012 article indicates that the Northeast Arkansas Regional Intermodal Facilities Authority (NEARIFA) understands the political and financial reality of MoDOT's decision to back off of a freeway connection by focusing its efforts on a five-lane expressway extension from Walnut Ridge to the Missouri state line:
Northeast Arkansas Regional Intermodal Facilities Authority (NEARIFA) board members ... were also encouraged to work diligently to ensure Highway 67 becomes a four-lane expressway from Walnut Ridge into Missouri .... US Highway 67, which is a two-lane road from north of Pocahontas to the Missouri state line. The Authority would like to see Highway 67 become a five-lane (expressway) from Walnut Ridge to Poplar Bluff, Mo. However, the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department has no plans to build one anytime in the near future. It is not on their list of priorities.

On September 26 and 27, AHTD held public meetings regarding US 67 Proposed Corridors from US 63 in Walnut Ridge to the Missouri state line:

edit - added above map

The Comment Form indicates that interstate-grade construction (Future I-30?) is still on the table:

What type of facility do you think should be built?
A four-lane "Interstate"  or "Freeway"  type facility on new location with access only at interchanges

A four-lane divided facility on new location with "at-grade"  intersections at other public roads (no driveways)
A four-lane facility with a paved median or two-way left turn lane following the existing highway the entire length
A four-lane facility with a paved median or two-way left turn lane following the existing highway, with bypasses around Pocahontas and Corning
No changes should be made

Grzrd

This article reports that one AR 226 project was awarded on Sept.12
Quote from: Grzrd on September 27, 2012, 01:59:29 PM
rte66man
I briefly looked for the project plans on the AHTD website, but, to date, I don't think they have transferred them from the Preletting section to the Postletting section.  However, I did find the Plans for the section from the December, 2011 letting, which basically provides a new terrain connection from the current AR 226 to US 49.  Those plans describe that section as a "partially controlled access facility" and have schematics for intersections, which smells like an expressway to me.  That said, maybe the widened section of AR 226 let in September will be a "fully controlled access facility."  I suppose the website will be updated in a month or so.

The Plans for the AR 226 project from the Sept. 12 letting have been posted and they also describe that section as a "partially controlled access facility".

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on October 03, 2012, 11:05:23 AM
On September 26 and 27, AHTD held public meetings regarding US 67 Proposed Corridors from US 63 in Walnut Ridge to the Missouri state line:

edit - added above map
The Comment Form indicates that interstate-grade construction (Future I-30?) is still on the table

This May 8, 2013 article reports that the study is anticipated to be completed this Fall and that interstate-grade construction to the state line is estimated to cost $500 million and that a five-lane highway is estimated to cost $300 million:

Walter McMillan, Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department district engineer, updated those at Tuesday's Rotary Club meeting on progress with highway projects in the Lawrence County area ....
McMillan also addressed the future of Highway 67, north from Highway 63, reporting that the department anticipated the study regarding the route for the highway to be completed this fall.
He said that 50 percent of the people who selected a route chose the one that would follow the existing highway.

"If the commission decides to go with a five-lane highway, there is more of a chance to follow the existing route," he said. "If it is interstate standard, it would be somewhere else possibly."
Five-laning would also be less expensive, though both options will be costly.
The last estimate I heard it was $500 million to do interstate and $300 million to do five-lane highway," McMillan said.
He said in both Paragould and Portia response from the public swayed the decision on how the highways would be constructed.
"It all comes into play," he said. "They will look at the most economical option and take public opinion into account. When the study is complete, the commission will select a route."

It seems like the five-lane highway option may be the pick.

Quote from: Grzrd on December 03, 2012, 07:50:15 PM
Contract for the Highway 230 to US 63 section awarded on December 3:
(above quote from US-67 Extension thread)

In the above-linked article, Walter McMillan also provided an update on the interstate-grade projects south of Walnut Ridge and noted that the entire sixteen miles will be opened to traffic at the same time:

Work is underway on Highway 67 from the interchange with Highway 226 (between Swifton and Cash), northward to the Highway 63 interchange at Hoxie. McMillan said there are four different construction projects underway on the six-mile stretch from Highway 226 north to Highway 230.
Work has also begun on the 10-mile stretch from Highway 230 to Highway 63.
Much of the grading and structure work is completed and the paving contract will be let in December.
"If things go really well, in another two to two-and-a-half years we will probably be done with that section of 67," McMillan said. "It's coming; it's just a matter of finishing up."
He did report that none of the final 16 miles will be opened until it is all complete, stating that Highway 230 would not be able to withstand the traffic if the first six miles were opened.
"So, when the two open it will be all the way up to 63,"
he said.

I assume the reporter meant to write that the paving contract for AR 230 to US 63 was awarded this past December. At any rate, it looks like the sixteen miles will be open to traffic at some point in 2015.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.