News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

First Snow 2013

Started by ZLoth, September 25, 2013, 11:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 09, 2013, 11:55:45 AM
The Philly area got unexpectedly hit with 6" to 8" this past Sunday afternoon.

Was that not expected? Guess I didn't read the forecasts carefully, because that amount doesn't sound surprising to me given the predictions I read (which were admittedly geared more toward my own area of NYC).

1995hoo

It's snowing again this morning. Roads were slushy but were fine in my car (front-wheel drive, manual transmission, all-season tires, antilock brakes weren't needed). The real problem is other drivers:

–Lots of invisible cars (people who think they're exempt from using headlights). Always seems a disproportionate number are white cars.

–Lots of people refuse to clean the snow off their vehicles so it flies up at the following vehicle.

–SUV drivers going way too fast.

–Many other drivers going way too slow. Look, slowing down some on slippery roads is a smart move, but it's possible to go too slowly. You need momentum to make it up the hills, and if you're going 5 mph you won't have that momentum! (I passed one guy who was going 5 mph while yapping away on his handheld cell phone.  Idiot.)

–Too many people think the lanes don't exist if the markings are covered in snow. They drive straddling the double yellow line or they block both lanes while crawling. If you drive on a road every day, shouldn't you know where the lanes are even if the lines are covered?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 10, 2013, 09:15:47 AM
It's snowing again this morning. Roads were slushy but were fine in my car (front-wheel drive, manual transmission, all-season tires, antilock brakes weren't needed).

I started out from the house and onto Md. 200.  Driving that road when it snows (and it hasn't snowed much since it opened) is a pleasure.  One of the things that the tolls pay for is very aggressive winter maintenance.  I only drove it on the eastern end, but saw 5 (five!) MdTA trucks applying treatment to the roads and ramps.

The real problem is other drivers:

–Lots of invisible cars (people who think they're exempt from using headlights). Always seems a disproportionate number are white cars.

I wish we would just require use of headlights (or DRLs) at all times - relatively small expense and it would make roads safer from dummys like that).

–Lots of people refuse to clean the snow off their vehicles so it flies up at the following vehicle.

I was out and at the office (in a garage) before much snow piled up on the truck.

–SUV drivers going way too fast.

Four wheel drive is great (not all SUVs have it), but does not help to bring a vehicle to a stop.

–Many other drivers going way too slow. Look, slowing down some on slippery roads is a smart move, but it's possible to go too slowly. You need momentum to make it up the hills, and if you're going 5 mph you won't have that momentum! (I passed one guy who was going 5 mph while yapping away on his handheld cell phone.  Idiot.)

I always try to keep that in mind.  On multi-lane highways, I do drive somewhat "slow" (below (but not too much below) the posted limit) when it is snowing fairly hard, and let everyone in a hurry pass on the left.

–Too many people think the lanes don't exist if the markings are covered in snow. They drive straddling the double yellow line or they block both lanes while crawling. If you drive on a road every day, shouldn't you know where the lanes are even if the lines are covered?

That is one of those "happens sometimes" problems.  I don't know why.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

PHLBOS

Quote from: empirestate on December 09, 2013, 11:06:21 PM

Was that not expected? Guess I didn't read the forecasts carefully, because that amount doesn't sound surprising to me given the predictions I read (which were admittedly geared more toward my own area of NYC).
IIRC, the original forecasts for the Philly area was that it would start off as snow for about 1"-3" but then change over to sleet & rain; and that it would start later in the day.  Nobody predicted what actually happened for the region that day; blizzard conditions for the early afternoon w/6"-8" accumulation.

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 10, 2013, 09:15:47 AMMany other drivers going way too slow. Look, slowing down some on slippery roads is a smart move, but it's possible to go too slowly. You need momentum to make it up the hills, and if you're going 5 mph you won't have that momentum!
^^Agree 100%.  This is an often overlooked item/driving tip.  It's also worth noting that even if one has an automatic transmission; these type of conditions are where the overdrive lock-out feature (if equipped) and the lower gear settings need to be utilized.  Such allows for a better grip/traction.

Last Sunday afternoon while heading home (I ventured out before the snow started), there was one snow/ice covered incline that required me to use both a low gear setting (1 or 2) and momentum (I'm in a RWD Crown Vic. w/out a limited-slip differential nor traction-control/assist) in order to get through/over it.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

empirestate

Meanwhile, I was not expecting the snowfall that NYC is receiving at this moment...

iPhone

jeffandnicole

Quote from: empirestate on December 09, 2013, 11:06:21 PM

Even the 1" to 3" is the absolute highest anyone had forecasted.  The majority of forecasters kept it to about 1", starting about 3pm, then changing over to rain.  The actual storm started between 11am and noon, and greatly intensified.  And while the 8" isn't an unheard of snowfall, realize also that the transportation departments rely on the forecasts also - so many of them hadn't called anyone in early, and those that were called in didn't have the plows on their trucks, since 1" of snow isn't generally a plowable snow.  Salting the roads is all that is required. 

The roads hadn't been brined either.  And that's because Friday/Friday night there was a lot of rain in the area which would've washed away the brine.  And since brining is a money saver because it can be applied during regular working hours and stays effective until wet, it was pointless to call in people on Saturday, which would require overtime pay.

At least in NJ, considering everything, by 6pm or so the roads were in very good shape.  Some issues here and there, but the main highways were moving along very well.

BigMattFromTexas

Not snow, but we got about an inch of ice November 22-23... We were supposed to have a playoff game on a turf field, but the ice froze it solid.... We got more ice last week, had about 5 days below freezing, wind chills around 4-10... I know it's nothing compared to other places, but as a native West Texan.... it was ridiculous..
BigMatt

Brandon

Quote from: BigMattFromTexas on December 14, 2013, 03:31:58 PM
Not snow, but we got about an inch of ice November 22-23... We were supposed to have a playoff game on a turf field, but the ice froze it solid.... We got more ice last week, had about 5 days below freezing, wind chills around 4-10... I know it's nothing compared to other places, but as a native West Texan.... it was ridiculous..
BigMatt

This is why I believe a bowl game should be played in Lambeau Field on January 1 between the SEC and the Big Ten.  Let's see how well the SEC team plays when it's 2 below zero on a frozen field.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

BigMattFromTexas

Quote from: Brandon on December 14, 2013, 11:28:39 PM
This is why I believe a bowl game should be played in Lambeau Field on January 1 between the SEC and the Big Ten.  Let's see how well the SEC team plays when it's 2 below zero on a frozen field.
Well 32 was plenty cold for me! :ded:
BigMatt

DaBigE

Quote from: Brandon on December 14, 2013, 11:28:39 PM
Quote from: BigMattFromTexas on December 14, 2013, 03:31:58 PM
BigMatt

Lambeau hasn't been frozen for quite a while thanks to the underground heating system.

I love the rest of the idea though.  :nod:
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.