AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: International MUTCDs or equivalents  (Read 11640 times)

route17fan

• NY 17 forever!

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 04:16:48 PM
International MUTCDs or equivalents
« on: December 25, 2015, 12:14:08 PM »

Greetings and Happy Holidays to you all! I have been trying to locate various countries' manuals of traffic control devices and I thought I would share the countries I have found thus far:
Canada:
  Ontario
  Alberta
  British Columbia
  New Brunswick
  Quebec
  Nova Scotia
  Saskatchewan

Australia:
  Queensland

Central America

Mexico

New Zealand

Peru

South Africa

Spain (partial)

U. K.

Are there any others? Just curious.  :D
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

SignGeek101

• Winnipeg sign geek and civil engineering student.

• Last Login: July 19, 2018, 09:05:19 PM
Re: International MUTCDs or equivalents
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 01:28:02 PM »

Wow. That's already more than I have. Do you know where you found Saskatchewan's, BC's and Nova Scotia's MUTCD's? I'd like to add them to my collection.

Anyway, I have this: http://kemhubri.dephub.go.id/perundangan/images/stories/doc/permen/2014/pm_13_tahun_2014.pdf

I don't really know if that counts, but it has signs and lots of Clearview in it,

route17fan

• NY 17 forever!

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 01:52:57 PM »

All honesty, Saskatchewan and Eastern Provinces had just work zone documents as that was all I could find.

Since I was not sure about who all had what, shall I include links?

route17fan

• NY 17 forever!

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 02:01:14 PM »

British Columbia: Manual of Standard Traffic Signs - http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/publications/eng_publications/geomet/geometsigns.htm

SignGeek101

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 02:49:53 PM »

Thanks.   :)

rschen7754

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 06:28:53 PM
    • http://www.rschen7754.com
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 06:38:13 PM »

You may wish to dig around on commons.wikimedia.org - I know we made a lot of international shields that were based on official documentation.

dcbjms

• Last Login: January 28, 2021, 06:20:43 PM
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 06:57:04 PM »

I have Ontario's and BC's, but not anyone else including the MUTCD for Canada (even Québec's I largely have to use the Repertoire de signalisation routière website the MTQ puts out.

As for Australia - Victoria also has their standards online.

riiga

• From the land of Vikings and Volvos

• Last Login: Today at 02:37:55 PM
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 08:08:12 PM »

Swedish equivalent of the MUTCD

The page has all the road signs in categories, as well as colours (click Färger för illustrationer) and the font used (click Teckensnitt). It also links to all the relevant documents described below.

Actual regulations are divided into six documents:
  • Road sign statute - "Vägmärkesförordningen (SFS 2007:90)"
  • Regulations on at-grade rail crossings - "Föreskrifter om bomanläggning i plankorsningar (TSVFS 1989:116)"
  • Regulations on road signs and other control devices - "Föreskrifter om vägmärken och andra anordningar (VVFS 2007:305)"
  • Regulations on sizes of road signs and other control devices - "Föreskrifter om storlekar pÃ¥ vägmärken och andra anordningar (VVFS 2008:272)"
  • Regulations on road markings - "Föreskrifter om vägmarkeringar (TSFS 2010:171)"
  • Regulations and advice on traffic signals - "Föreskrifter och allmänna rÃ¥d om trafiksignaler (TSFS 2014:30)"

SignGeek101

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 11:18:36 PM »

I have the Parks Canada version of the "MUTCD". It's pretty limited though, and only covers road signage within Canada's national parks.

dcbjms

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 09:04:31 AM »

I have the Parks Canada version of the "MUTCD". It's pretty limited though, and only covers road signage within Canada's national parks.

Still, it would be interesting to look at, IMO.

SignGeek101

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 11:58:08 AM »

Found Quebec's if anyone's interested (in french):

https://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/centredocumentation/Documents/Partenaires-prives/Genie-conseil-Construction-Grands-travaux/Signalisation/Guide.conception.supersignalisation.destination.2014.versionfinale.pdf
Not quite the MUTCD, but at least a thorough manual on guide sign design - more than I would have expected for free from them. The overreliance on Series E(M) for route shields explains why everything looks so weird there.

Quillz

• A Talking Pokémon

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 10:13:27 PM
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 12:04:20 PM »

Can I get a link to Mexico, Australia and New Zealand? I had them all at one point but can't find them anymore.

dcbjms

Quillz

• A Talking Pokémon

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 10:13:27 PM
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 09:11:31 PM »

I remember getting a PDF cracker that unlocked the password protected Australian MUTCD. Assuming it's the same file, I don't know. (I mainly wanted it for the embedded PDFs of the Australian highway shield).

J N Winkler

• Last Login: Today at 10:25:39 PM
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 02:58:27 PM »

The problem, as I understand it, is that you have to pay to download the Australian MUTCD from the Standards Australia website before you can turn a PDF cracker loose on it.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

J N Winkler

• Last Login: Today at 10:25:39 PM
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 03:32:39 PM »

In regard to the OP, I would go ahead and just post links, preferably both to the download page and the manual itself if it is a single-file downloadable PDF.  Posts on this forum are archived and since this material tends to move around on the Web and often disappears altogether (e.g., you cannot retrieve the draft figures for the 2009 MUTCD even through the Web Archive), full links make both current and older versions of manuals easier to find through Googling or the Web Archive if we ever lose track of them.

I started tracking these manuals over 15 years ago, though I have been considerably less active in recent years since I started following the actual construction plans (not enough hours in the day, etc.).  I have seen a lot of stuff appear and then disappear.  To quote just one glaring example:  in the early noughties BC experimented with privatization of its signing program and put online an absolutely beautiful sign pattern manual with vector illustrations, but there was an internal fightback within the ministry, and the vector illustrations began to be replaced with rasters, and now the sign pattern manual has disappeared altogether.

Here's Turkey:

Download page:

http://www.kgm.gov.tr/Sayfalar/KGM/SiteTr/Trafik/KaraNoktalar.aspx

Actual manual:

http://www.kgm.gov.tr/SiteCollectionDocuments/KGMdocuments/Trafik/IsaretlerElKitabi/TrafikIsaretleriElKitabi2015.pdf

Trafik is an obvious cognate, işaret means "sign," and kitab means "book."  The PDF linked above replaces an earlier version that had slightly fewer pages.

This link is now hidden on the KGM site but still retrievable through Google:

http://www.kgm.gov.tr/SiteCollectionDocuments/KGMdocuments/Trafik/IsaretlerElKitabi/TrafikIsaretElKitabieski.pdf

Eski in Turkish means "old."  This is nominally supposed to be a multi-volume manual, but I haven't had much luck with Google searches for bir, iki or üç.

Spain has a really nice third-party site that compiles and makes available historical manuals, including ones that were used during the Franco and Primo de Rivera eras:

http://www.carreteros.org/normativa/s_vertical/s_vertical.htm

The maintainers attempt to collate drafts and both gazetted and perfect-bound versions.  (The main Spanish manual for designable upright signing, Norma 8.1-IC, is typically published first as a very long article in the Boletín Oficial del Estado, which is the official gazette for Spanish central government, and then as a bound softcover volume which you can buy at the Ministerio de Fomento bookshop in Madrid.)  Some autonomous communities have their own child versions of Norma 8.1-IC and Carreteros.org also tries to make these available, in both current and past versions.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 03:34:46 PM by J N Winkler »
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

dcbjms

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2016, 09:46:36 AM »

The problem, as I understand it, is that you have to pay to download the Australian MUTCD from the Standards Australia website before you can turn a PDF cracker loose on it.

That's right.  And it seems Victoria went ahead in that direction - they've replaced their Traffic Engineering Manual with state supplements; fortunately, both the old and new manuals are available (I only have the old one in my personal collection).
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/business-and-industry/technical-documents/traffic-engineering-manual-volume-2

CrystalWalrein

• There is no 'war on William'....

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 12:22:44 PM
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2016, 09:42:36 AM »

Ireland has parts of its own manual here.

dcbjms

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2016, 12:32:31 AM »

Resurrecting this thread for a minor comment:

Eski in Turkish means "old."  This is nominally supposed to be a multi-volume manual, but I haven't had much luck with Google searches for bir, iki or üç.

Based on this instructional video based on how to dance a certain style of zeybek (similar to but different from the Greek zeimbekiko):
"Bir" means "1", "Iki" means "2", and "Ãœç" means "3"; incidentally, "Yedi" means "7", and is found in the Istanbul district/fortress named Yedikule (Seven Towers). [instruction starts at 03:16]

rschen7754

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 06:28:53 PM
    • http://www.rschen7754.com

aswnl

• Last Login: November 24, 2023, 04:21:38 PM
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2017, 12:19:07 PM »

*Netherlands https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/documenten/brochures/2012/02/28/verkeersborden-en-verkeersregels-in-nederland
These are not the official guidelines, just a brochure on traffic regulations.
The Dutch equivalent of the MUTCD  is not available on the internet for free.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.