News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off-Topic / Re: New Oklahoma City Skyscrap...
Last post by brad2971 - Today at 08:30:23 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on Today at 08:05:25 PMNot going to happen for the simple reason that OKC-area banks are notoriously risk-averse (there are virtually no five-over-ones in the OKC area because the banks consider it a risky, unproven venture despite them existing in practically every other US city). Non-OKC area banks generally don't like to invest in OKC-area projects because formulas used to calculate ROI elsewhere in the country don't return realistic results due to OKC's low density. (This is also why many national chains don't have locations in OKC.)

Considering the cascading effects of the Penn Square Bank failure on the banking system back in 1982, those OKC-area banks are right to be risk-averse. Yes, while it may seem that sense in certain areas of the country may be short, it's not too bad to have memories that are long. 
Off-Topic / Re: My idea for US currency re...
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 08:13:00 PM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on Today at 10:54:18 AMMy proposal is simpler:

Coins: 5c, 25c, $1
Bills: $2, $5, $20, $100

I'm starting to think some of you haven't actually worked with cash before. 95ยข being three quarters and four nickels would be an unmitigated pain in the ass. Remember, rolls contain either 40 or 50 pieces; if you get rid of the dime that means you could blow through a whole roll of nickels in ten transactions. (Meaning you have to close the window while you get another roll of nickels from somewhere. Meaning customers start being a dick to you.)

The days where we ran out of dimes at work were always miserable.
Northeast / Re: US 202 Sinkhole Around Kin...
Last post by 74/171FAN - Today at 08:11:27 PM
(For US 202 and PA 29)  PennDOT - District 6 News: Sinkhole Repair Continues on U.S. 202 North (Dekalb Pike) in King of Prussia

QuoteA comprehensive sinkhole remediation project for U.S. 202 (Dekalb Pike), and for Route 29 (Morehall Road) in East Whiteland Township, Chester County, is scheduled to be advertised for construction this summer.
Off-Topic / Re: New Oklahoma City Skyscrap...
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 08:05:25 PM
Not going to happen for the simple reason that OKC-area banks are notoriously risk-averse (there are virtually no five-over-ones in the OKC area because the banks consider it a risky, unproven venture despite them existing in practically every other US city). Non-OKC area banks generally don't like to invest in OKC-area projects because formulas used to calculate ROI elsewhere in the country don't return realistic results due to OKC's low density. (This is also why many national chains don't have locations in OKC.)
Off-Topic / Re: Technology Random Access T...
Last post by MikeTheActuary - Today at 07:30:31 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 16, 2024, 10:29:12 AMI don't know when you went to school, but I was never allowed to use a calculator in math class until I had a scientific one for trig in high school. This was the mid to late 80s.

From my school experience in the mid-late 80's: calculators were forbidden in Algebra I and Geometry.  In Algebra II, we had a few tests/quizzes where we did a few questions without calculators ("just so you remember how to do math without them"), before we were allowed to break them out for the rest of the test.

I think my Trig class was one of the first ones where we didn't have to learn how to use trig tables; we were just expected to use scientific calculators.  (I was, of course, a smart-ass and brought a slide rule to my final exam.)
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Illinois notes
Last post by Rick Powell - Today at 07:13:31 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on Today at 07:08:21 PMhttps://maps.app.goo.gl/uAD2mhbY7zLPuhFR9?g_st=ic

That is the one in question for the Marion-57/24 split segment. Might be able to squeeze it in under. Pretty sure that is a BNSF-owned line, but don't quote me on that

Looks like room to spare to add a 12' lane and 12' inside shoulder, and maybe widen the outside shoulder a little, if everything is widened to the inside.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Illinois notes
Last post by ilpt4u - Today at 07:08:21 PM
https://maps.app.goo.gl/uAD2mhbY7zLPuhFR9?g_st=ic

That is the one in question for the Marion-57/24 split segment. Might be able to squeeze it in under. Pretty sure that is a BNSF-owned line, but don't quote me on that
Mountain West / Re: Arizona
Last post by Pink Jazz - Today at 06:48:38 PM
Now that Clearview (E-Modified Alternate) is now part of the 2023 MUTCD, I wonder if we can see ADOT re-adopt it. I think the reason why ADOT stopped using it was due to some uncertainty over its future, but now that it is part of the MUTCD, I wonder if ADOT might start using it again.
General Highway Talk / Re: Streets That Seemed Misspe...
Last post by Rothman - Today at 06:45:13 PM
This has become one of my favorite street names:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.