News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"EIC AP" signs

Started by index, August 31, 2023, 03:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

index

Does anyone know what these mean? Apparently enough people have asked this question for it to be in Google's autocomplete (as "EIC AP 10") but searching for it, even in quotes, yields no results. Found nothing using advanced search here.

One person who was asked suspects it might be info for contractors/road workers but there's really nothing to go off of, although it sounds like it could make sense. I wonder why it would be in fluorescent yellow-green though instead of the standard fluorescent orange. Maybe to stand out to workers amongst the sea of orange signage?
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

J N Winkler

Quote from: index on August 31, 2023, 03:55:39 PMOne person who was asked suspects it might be info for contractors/road workers but there's really nothing to go off of, although it sounds like it could make sense. I wonder why it would be in fluorescent yellow-green though instead of the standard fluorescent orange. Maybe to stand out to workers amongst the sea of orange signage?

I think this is the likeliest explanation, with "EIC" being an acronym for the contractor's name (a casual Google search turns up a strong possibility) and AP standing for "Access Point."  As for the use of FYG instead of FO, I think that's a simple matter of not caring about that particular nuance because these signs are intended for the use of contractor personnel rather than the general public.  (That is not a good reason for posting willfully obscure signs, IMO, but the question is what they think, not what I think.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

index

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 31, 2023, 04:49:34 PM
Quote from: index on August 31, 2023, 03:55:39 PMOne person who was asked suspects it might be info for contractors/road workers but there's really nothing to go off of, although it sounds like it could make sense. I wonder why it would be in fluorescent yellow-green though instead of the standard fluorescent orange. Maybe to stand out to workers amongst the sea of orange signage?

I think this is the likeliest explanation, with "EIC" being an acronym for the contractor's name (a casual Google search turns up a strong possibility) and AP standing for "Access Point."  As for the use of FYG instead of FO, I think that's a simple matter of not caring about that particular nuance because these signs are intended for the use of contractor personnel rather than the general public.  (That is not a good reason for posting willfully obscure signs, IMO, but the question is what they think, not what I think.)

Yeah that is a pretty strong explanation. The only hole in that is that this was in Georgia (which I probably should've mentioned), and that business is primarily focused on the NYC metro. Although it's not a particularly big or meaningful hole, companies with the same name exist all over the place, a quick google search reveals at least three companies called "EIC" in the state. Looks like I have my answer/explanation.

Counties traveled

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

index

Quote from: Rothman on August 31, 2023, 06:07:45 PM
EIC = Engineer-In-Charge...

I don't feel it would be likely that there would be multiple specific signs meant for just one single person connected to the job (who I don't believe is even there most of the time). Nor do I think it makes much sense to imply that the meaning of this sign is a given...

Per Occam's razor the simplest explanation is most likely to be true. If "EIC" meant "Engineer-in-charge" here then there'd still be questions. That makes "AP" meaning "access point" a whole lot less likely for one.

Counties traveled

Rothman

Quote from: index on August 31, 2023, 06:45:36 PM

I don't feel it would be likely that there would be multiple specific signs meant for just one single person connected to the job (who I don't believe is even there most of the time). Nor do I think it makes much sense to imply that the meaning of this sign is a given...

Per Occam's razor the simplest explanation is most likely to be true. If "EIC" meant "Engineer-in-charge" here then there'd still be questions. That makes "AP" meaning "access point" a whole lot less likely for one.

Like I've said in other threads, roadgeek audacity knows no bounds.

EIC is a common acronym meaning Engineer-In-Charge in project management.  An EIC needing to access their field office or other sites, especially in a long work zone, makes perfect sense.

Let me know when someone calls up Georgia DOT to find out what the sign means.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

J N Winkler

I would definitely get in touch with Georgia DOT for the skinny on what these signs mean.  You might get a deflection from a public-affairs officer (like I did when I asked Nevada DOT for the contract number for Project NEON and got non-responsive bumf about contract numbers being used internally), but it might stimulate someone to think about whether these signs need to be posted, as opposed to something clearer like "Construction Vehicle Access 22."
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Rothman

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 31, 2023, 07:17:27 PM
I would definitely get in touch with Georgia DOT for the skinny on what these signs mean.  You might get a deflection from a public-affairs officer (like I did when I asked Nevada DOT for the contract number for Project NEON and got non-responsive bumf about contract numbers being used internally), but it might stimulate someone to think about whether these signs need to be posted, as opposed to something clearer like "Construction Vehicle Access 22."
Contract numbers are secret?  In NY, I believe you can find the D-numbers somewhere on the public facing site, and definitely PINs.

And then there's always FOIL in NY...

J N Winkler

Quote from: Rothman on August 31, 2023, 08:00:48 PMContract numbers are secret?  In NY, I believe you can find the D-numbers somewhere on the public facing site, and definitely PINs.

The situation is similar in Nevada, at least for design-bid-build--you can look up contracts by number.  Project NEON was design-build and I was never able to find a contract number online, which was why I asked.  Judging from the way the PAO danced around the question, I think they may not even have assigned it until construction was finished, or close to it.  NDOT allocates contract numbers in loosely sequential fashion, starting with Contract 1 in 1918, so Project NEON should have had one in the high three thousands.

Rothman

Quote from: J N Winkler on September 01, 2023, 03:04:06 AM
Quote from: Rothman on August 31, 2023, 08:00:48 PMContract numbers are secret?  In NY, I believe you can find the D-numbers somewhere on the public facing site, and definitely PINs.

The situation is similar in Nevada, at least for design-bid-build--you can look up contracts by number.  Project NEON was design-build and I was never able to find a contract number online, which was why I asked.  Judging from the way the PAO danced around the question, I think they may not even have assigned it until construction was finished, or close to it.  NDOT allocates contract numbers in loosely sequential fashion, starting with Contract 1 in 1918, so Project NEON should have had one in the high three thousands.

I don't think that's possible for accounting reasons.  Even design-build starts billing when they kick into final design -- from the get-go.

Very strange.  What the PAO's actions mean to me is that they only wanted people looking at the details of the project that had the means to fight them on the deflection they tossed your way.  In NY, this would never fly with NYSDOT and the state's FOIL law.

Scott5114

Earned Income Credit Advanced Placement.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 01, 2023, 10:09:42 AM
Earned Income Credit Advanced Placement.
Eighth-in-Class Advanced Placement.

jeffandnicole

Easter in Church
April 22

gonealookin

Which airport's IATA code is "EIC"?  It's 22 miles ahead.

Big John

Quote from: gonealookin on September 03, 2023, 11:05:04 PM
Not assigned.

gonealookin

Quote from: Big John on September 03, 2023, 11:17:08 PM
Quote from: gonealookin on September 03, 2023, 11:05:04 PM
Not assigned.
Ah, that explains the yellow sign.  It's a new airport under construction.

index

Quote from: Rothman on August 31, 2023, 06:53:47 PM

Quote from: index on August 31, 2023, 06:45:36 PM

Like I've said in other threads, roadgeek audacity knows no bounds.

EIC is a common acronym meaning Engineer-In-Charge in project management.  An EIC needing to access their field office or other sites, especially in a long work zone, makes perfect sense.

Let me know when someone calls up Georgia DOT to find out what the sign means.
"Audacity" is a bit excessive of a term to use. I just don't find it likely that there'd be dozens of signs that would be specifically meant for one person nor that the meaning is a given. It seems to make more sense to me that if there were tons of sites and construction zones that it would be meant for the employees of the contractor in general. I can't see what's so bold and audacious about that.

Counties traveled

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.