News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 17, 2016, 10:42:36 AM
You are confusing what the MUTCD is about. The MUTCD covers everything road & highway related.  The Turnpike isn't "going MUTCD".  The only thing really out-of-sorts were the BGSs.

I suppose (at least in theory) that the Turnpike Authority could have some special turnpike-only provisions in the New Jersey MUTCD Supplement (if there is such a document).

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

thenetwork

Doesn't/Didn't the Illinois Tollway system have their own style of pavement markers as well?

Alps

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on February 16, 2016, 12:13:15 PM
Have the signs at the mixing bowls been replaced? I'd be interested to see how the turnpike handles them à la MUTCD. And what is this "mandate" everyone is talking about that suddenly made the TA decide to become a bastion of federally standardized signage?
They will be part flip-sign and part VMS. All using proper font and sizes etc.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on February 17, 2016, 06:32:23 PM
Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on February 16, 2016, 12:13:15 PM
Have the signs at the mixing bowls been replaced? I'd be interested to see how the turnpike handles them à la MUTCD. And what is this "mandate" everyone is talking about that suddenly made the TA decide to become a bastion of federally standardized signage?
They will be part flip-sign and part VMS. All using proper font and sizes etc.

They're putting up new flip signs? Jeesh.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 17, 2016, 04:15:24 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 17, 2016, 10:42:36 AM
You are confusing what the MUTCD is about. The MUTCD covers everything road & highway related.  The Turnpike isn't "going MUTCD".  The only thing really out-of-sorts were the BGSs.

I suppose (at least in theory) that the Turnpike Authority could have some special turnpike-only provisions in the New Jersey MUTCD Supplement (if there is such a document).

They thought about creating a Turnpike-only document, but in the end any provisions were just added to existing standard documents. Without a state Supplement, there's nowhere for Turnpike provisions to go - FHWA only deals with the main state agency.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: NJ on February 16, 2016, 03:14:06 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on February 15, 2016, 03:04:32 PM
Why are the dash marks so long on the turnpike?

It's so stupid and ugly; according to NJTurnpike it makes it more visible and no need for putting reflectors (unlike rest of New Jersey highways).

How is it stupid?  (Ugly is subjective, and clear enough.)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alps on February 17, 2016, 06:34:13 PM
They thought about creating a Turnpike-only document, but in the end any provisions were just added to existing standard documents. Without a state Supplement, there's nowhere for Turnpike provisions to go - FHWA only deals with the main state agency.

Thanks.  I knew that FHWA only talks to the state DOT on most matters, but did not know if there is a New Jersey MUTCD supplement.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 17, 2016, 08:02:08 PM
Quote from: NJ on February 16, 2016, 03:14:06 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on February 15, 2016, 03:04:32 PM
Why are the dash marks so long on the turnpike?

It's so stupid and ugly; according to NJTurnpike it makes it more visible and no need for putting reflectors (unlike rest of New Jersey highways).

How is it stupid?  (Ugly is subjective, and clear enough.)

Reflectors also wear out or get dirty, and even "plowable" pavement markers can (and do) get gouged out of the pavement sometimes.

NJRoadfan

Heh, the streetview image shows a rare proper I-95 reassurance marker. Wish they would put more up.

PHLBOS

Quote from: NJRoadfan on February 17, 2016, 11:58:16 PM
Heh, the streetview image shows a rare proper I-95 reassurance marker. Wish they would put more up.
That stretch of the NJ Turnpike has been part of I-95 since the early years of the Interstate System.  IIRC, I-95 reassurance markers (with or without direction cardinals) have been along the stretch, north of Exit 10, for quite some time (decades).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

storm2k

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 18, 2016, 09:35:03 AM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on February 17, 2016, 11:58:16 PM
That stretch of the NJ Turnpike has been part of I-95 since the early years of the Interstate System.  IIRC, I-95 reassurance markers (with or without direction cardinals) have been along the stretch, north of Exit 10, for quite some time (decades).

They've existed for a long time, but were sporadically put up, and not always frequently.

storm2k

This was put up recently in Carteret on the Industrial Highway at the intersection with the Exit 12 entrance ramp:

What a lovely MUTCD assembly. Not sure who put it up, if it was the NJTA or Carteret Borough (though the NJTA has control of a couple of intersections around the exit. Haven't seen another assembly like this anywhere else yet.

KEVIN_224

My, isn't that lovely trash, too? Cool assembly, though.  :-D

cl94

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on February 22, 2016, 11:33:47 PM

That trash is about what I'd expect at Exit 12...
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

1995hoo

Quote from: cl94 on February 22, 2016, 11:40:26 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on February 22, 2016, 11:33:47 PM

That trash is about what I'd expect at Exit 12...

Heh. About 15 years ago I had to go to some depositions in a building adjacent to the Superfund site in Carteret. The attorney whose client had an office there offered us all tap water. Not surprisingly, nobody accepted.  :ded:  (it was somewhere near the intersection of Middlesex and Chrome, for those who know the area)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NJ

When driving from Newark Airport to Bergen County I noticed new MUTCD signage placed on NJ Turnpike with up arrows. I like it but did not like how they placed two cities in one row with dash (Such as Newark - Elizabeth). Put Elizabeth below Newark.

Mergingtraffic

So what old signs are left on the Turnpike and ramps?  Anything? 
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on March 21, 2016, 08:13:55 PM

In terms of the traditional NJ Tpk signage...A lot. Every interchange from 1 - 9 is going to be there for a while. Last time I was up that way, 10 & 11 are traditional as well.

roadman65

I always like the northbound signs at Exit 11 with the THRU TRAFFIC pull through on the inner roadway at the actual exit with the guide sign for the exit itself being on a partial gantry like the gor exit signs are.  Its reverse of the tradition there, but the outer roadway keeps the tradition with the pull through at the deceleration lane start.

Glad to see that still there and hope so as I have no picture yet of it.  Maybe if I am lucky I can get there soon to photograph it before it comes down.

Anyway, the NJTA needs to remove the US 1 shields after the Exit 11 plaza on the overheads as the new GSP signs on its service road have removed the follow up US 1 shield at the NJ 184 exit as well as NJDOT removing any trailblazing for US 1 within the US 9 & NJ 184 interchange several decades ago.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 21, 2016, 08:35:57 PM

In terms of the traditional NJ Tpk signage...A lot. Every interchange from 1 - 9 is going to be there for a while. Last time I was up that way, 10 & 11 are traditional as well.
That's not quite true. Many of the pull throughs have been replaced with more standard signage:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.750686,-75.2809936,3a,75y,28.5h,95.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sG3UjHoytVWBJGtohXIbkCQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1

The entrances for Exit 6 through 7A also have relatively standard signs instead of "New York and NORTH / Delaware and SOUTH": https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1273376,-74.6996911,3a,75y,43.34h,91.15t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6wKt6MZOs3KIsQs4guJdhA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1

Exit 8 and 8A entrances are a bit odd, though as they have I-95 shields, but "Turnpike North" and "Turnpike South" as "control cities": https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2632497,-74.50704,3a,75y,275.66h,84.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5ZB9FnRh6i4J6LJQDy5qJQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1

roadman65

I see that Chester, PA was ditched for Glassboro at Exit 2.

Anyway, for Exit 8A signs, they were installed back in 1990 when the 8A to 9 widening took place.  In addition the Exit 11 signs had the same in an 1988 or 1989 sign replacement project there as well, and  have heard they were copied over to still feature that even though Camden, Trenton, and New York (City) are now used at Exit 129 on the Parkway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on March 22, 2016, 11:37:58 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 21, 2016, 08:35:57 PM

That's not quite true. Many of the pull throughs have been replaced with more standard signage:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.750686,-75.2809936,3a,75y,28.5h,95.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sG3UjHoytVWBJGtohXIbkCQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1

The entrances for Exit 6 through 7A also have relatively standard signs instead of "New York and NORTH / Delaware and SOUTH": https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1273376,-74.6996911,3a,75y,43.34h,91.15t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6wKt6MZOs3KIsQs4guJdhA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1

Exit 8 and 8A entrances are a bit odd, though as they have I-95 shields, but "Turnpike North" and "Turnpike South" as "control cities": https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2632497,-74.50704,3a,75y,275.66h,84.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5ZB9FnRh6i4J6LJQDy5qJQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1

True.  I was thinking in terms of the Exit signage, exit tabs, and the arrows.

tckma

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 22, 2016, 12:20:13 PM

Well, with the recent widening of the Turnpike and the extension of the car/truck lane system down to Exit 6, you'd think if they were going to put MUTCD-compliant BGS's, they'd put them up at that time.  However, the last time I went up the Turnpike, we had brand new BGS's in this stretch with NJTP style arrows.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: tckma on March 22, 2016, 12:25:00 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 22, 2016, 12:20:13 PM

Well, with the recent widening of the Turnpike and the extension of the car/truck lane system down to Exit 6, you'd think if they were going to put MUTCD-compliant BGS's, they'd put them up at that time.  However, the last time I went up the Turnpike, we had brand new BGS's in this stretch with NJTP style arrows.

It was the result of the agreement the NJTA had with the Feds.  I don't know the exact date, but at some point the Feds required the NJ Turnpike to use MUTCD compliant signage on future projects. Since the 6-9 widening was already in progress (even in cases where bids for specific sections may not have not been put out to bid, or where the signs were not yet manufactured), the NJTA did not have to change their plans to require MUTCD-style BGS signage in that project.

tckma

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 22, 2016, 12:35:09 PM

It was the result of the agreement the NJTA had with the Feds.  I don't know the exact date, but at some point the Feds required the NJ Turnpike to use MUTCD compliant signage on future projects.

That's too bad.  I've always liked the NJTP-style signage, and the fact that you can only find it on the NJTP.  Not so sure how I feel about those extra-long lane separator lines though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.