News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

Are all the signing contracts done? A FB poster said this sign was still around. I thought I saw this was supposed to be removed.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

NJRoadfan

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 12, 2018, 01:27:37 PM
There's quite a bit of shared jurisdictional responsibility in that area. South/West of 49/130 to the bridge it's all DRPA, so that's easy.  North/East of that area though it's a bit hard to tell, as there's DRPA signage, NJDOT signage (including the Big Blue Food signage), and NJ Turnpike style stripes.  When I worked the snowplows down that way, NJDOT plowed the road there.

The state attempted to map this: http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/enlarged_view_26.pdf

Looks like the roadway is NJTA there, hence the striping.

Alps

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on April 15, 2018, 11:26:02 AM
Are all the signing contracts done? A FB poster said this sign was still around. I thought I saw this was supposed to be removed.

They're doing the Extension separately once the Skyway reopens, so it'll probably disappear then.

cpzilliacus

Here's an Exit 5 (New Jersey Turnpike) oddity. 

Is Exit 5 (signed Burlington and Mount Holly with no route numbers) the only one where the NJTA does not post a route number for the intersecting road?

Even though the intersecting road is  CR541?

The Turnpike intersects (and signs) at least one other county road, CR540 on the southbound side south of the southern (Exit 1) mainline toll plaza. 

And there are plenty of county routes signed along the Garden State Parkway.

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 16, 2018, 11:35:25 AM

Is Exit 5 (signed Burlington and Mount Holly with no route numbers) the only one where the NJTA does not post a route number for the intersecting road?

The Turnpike intersects (and signs) at least one other county road, CR540 on the southbound side south of the southern (Exit 1) mainline toll plaza. 

Anymore, I believe so, with the exception of Exits 12 & 14B. However, it's by default as there's no route number associated with the streets.

Exit 8A: No route number until the Dual-Dual construction.

Exit 14A: Former signage did not have NJ 440 listed.  With the new MUTCD signage it is now shown.

Even though the NJTA (NJ Turnpike) merged with the NJHA (GS Parkway) 15 years ago, the NJTA has allowed the Parkway to maintain most of its distinguishing features that separate it from the Turnpike.  The striping is 'normal' (vs the Turnpike extra-long striping), and even though the new electronic display gantries were built to hold both VMSs and VSLSs, the GSP continues to use standard, static speed limit signage.  This carries over to the exit signage, which has always conformed (for the most part) to MUTCD standards, and generally will list the intersecting route number, regardless of the classification of roadway.

odditude

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 16, 2018, 12:36:16 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 16, 2018, 11:35:25 AM

Anymore, I believe so, with the exception of Exits 12 & 14B. However, it's by default as there's no route number associated with the streets.

Exit 8A: No route number until the Dual-Dual construction.

Exit 14A: Former signage did not have NJ 440 listed.  With the new MUTCD signage it is now shown.

Even though the NJTA (NJ Turnpike) merged with the NJHA (GS Parkway) 15 years ago, the NJTA has allowed the Parkway to maintain most of its distinguishing features that separate it from the Turnpike.  The striping is 'normal' (vs the Turnpike extra-long striping), and even though the new electronic display gantries were built to hold both VMSs and VSLSs, the GSP continues to use standard, static speed limit signage.  This carries over to the exit signage, which has always conformed (for the most part) to MUTCD standards, and generally will list the intersecting route number, regardless of the classification of roadway.

other unsigned highways by exit:

• 12 Carteret / Rahway: CR 602
  • 13A Elizabeth Seaport / Newark Airport: NJ 81
  • 70 Teaneck / Leonia: CR 56

roadman65

What about Exit 5 and CR 541?  Is it still unsigned?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

odditude

Quote from: roadman65 on April 16, 2018, 02:40:47 PM
reread the quoted post.

roadman65

Quote from: odditude on April 16, 2018, 02:50:17 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 16, 2018, 02:40:47 PM
reread the quoted post.
Sorry, I thought it was someone who forgot the Exit 5 signs to make a simple point.  The quotes are in purple so I did not catch it easily.

Also to point out for years Exit 15E did not have US 1 or 9 assigned to NB and SB (Western Spur ) signs as well.  SB Exit 15E on the Eastern Spur had no control cities and exit number only which was a bigger oddity for even the Turnpike.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Turnpike policy is to not include county routes. Parkway policy is to. That's it.
As far as NJ 81, I wouldn't be surprised if the next time signs are replaced, it makes an appearance, but that would take the next sign designer knowing it exists.

NJRoadfan

NJTA's design documents when they flipped to MUTCD specified that only 500 series county routes be posted. Exit 12 had CR-602 signed after the toll plaza when they rebuild the interchange, but the recent sign replacements (why? the ones that were there weren't that old!) wiped that out. The GSP widening project wiped out what little 600 series route signing that was on the GSP.

Alps

Quote from: NJRoadfan on April 16, 2018, 08:33:32 PM
NJTA's design documents when they flipped to MUTCD specified that only 500 series county routes be posted. Exit 12 had CR-602 signed after the toll plaza when they rebuild the interchange, but the recent sign replacements (why? the ones that were there weren't that old!) wiped that out. The GSP widening project wiped out what little 600 series route signing that was on the GSP.
I'm the one who wrote it. I should remember! Whoops. I guess the next redesigns on the Turnpike will include it, but the policy up through the recent widening was to exclude.

cpzilliacus

Thanks for the responses regarding county routes that have Turnpike interchanges.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

storm2k

Quote from: Alps on April 16, 2018, 08:01:42 PM
Turnpike policy is to not include county routes. Parkway policy is to. That's it.
As far as NJ 81, I wouldn't be surprised if the next time signs are replaced, it makes an appearance, but that would take the next sign designer knowing it exists.

To be fair, NJDOT does not include 81 shields on their signage on 1-9 either. Although they did put the start and end shields on both ends, and put up milepost signs with 81 shields on them as well.

Don'tKnowYet

Quote from: Alps on April 16, 2018, 08:01:42 PM

Not exactly.  With the exception of what appears to be a grandfathered Double Trouble Road at southbound Exit 80, the Parkway only does 500 routes.  No 600.

roadman65

600 routes were never really used as well as Bergen and Monmouth's single and double digit county routes on most nJ freeways.  In fact rarely are they used from any state highway.  I-295 did add them once the stretch where it is concurrent with US 130 back in the mid 80's which was a first and seemed odd at the time.

I do know that I-78's exit for the former CR 527 SPUR in Warren, was changed over to a 600 series shield when NJ cut back on the SPUR signed 500 series designation.  Its the only one that was on I-78 and the one of few in North Jersey.  I think I-287 in Bloomingdale uses them for signing the Paterson- Hamburg Turnpike but that is the only other instance I know of.

Sheryl Crowe

DrSmith

There are a few on Route 42 (Route 681 Chews Landing Rd, Route 673 College Dr, Route 753 Creek Road) and on Route 55 (Route 621 Almonesson Rd and Route 641 Ellis Mill Road) as well.

roadman65

Maybe   its a Camden and Gloucester County thing.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on April 19, 2018, 09:33:49 PM
600 routes were never really used as well as Bergen and Monmouth's single and double digit county routes on most nJ freeways.  In fact rarely are they used from any state highway.  I-295 did add them once the stretch where it is concurrent with US 130 back in the mid 80's which was a first and seemed odd at the time.

I do know that I-78's exit for the former CR 527 SPUR in Warren, was changed over to a 600 series shield when NJ cut back on the SPUR signed 500 series designation.  Its the only one that was on I-78 and the one of few in North Jersey.  I think I-287 in Bloomingdale uses them for signing the Paterson- Hamburg Turnpike but that is the only other instance I know of.

The CR-651 shield was an error. When they downgraded Spur CR-527 to CR-651, NJDOT took the old shields down, but for some reason, put up the new ones, even though it should not have. When signage replacements were done, it was kept. Interestingly, at Exit 26, it still shows Spur CR-523, even though that's been renumbered to CR-665 around the same time.

roadman65

Under MUTCD anyway Exit 26 should then be like it used to back in the 70's which just read Lamington - North Branch or just use Rattlesnake- Lamington Road only.

Exit 36 should be Basking Ridge and Warrenville (yes NJDOT replaced it with Warren cause the township where it sits, but Warrenville is the major intersection where CR 527 is and fully developed), or King George Road.

NJDOT likes to use routes (or names) with control cities even in urban areas.  NJ 18 at NJ 27 uses Highland Park- Princeton instead of Albany St- Raritan Avenue as urban signing should really be. 

The NJTA still does it on the Parkway like for Exit 143C.  TO NJ 124 Irvington instead of Madison Avenue- Springfield Avenue.  Irvington should be on a supplemental as most states would do that.  In fact before Exit 144 it should have a sign "Irvington Next 2 Exits" as 144 serves part of Irvington and is in Irvington proper at that point.

It was worse before as old signs had 144 signed as South Orange Avenue- Vailsurg Area- South Orange instead of just the street name of South Orange Avenue.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on April 20, 2018, 11:45:16 AM
Under MUTCD anyway Exit 26 should then be like it used to back in the 70's which just read Lamington - North Branch or just use Rattlesnake- Lamington Road only.

Exit 36 should be Basking Ridge and Warrenville (yes NJDOT replaced it with Warren cause the township where it sits, but Warrenville is the major intersection where CR 527 is and fully developed), or King George Road.

NJDOT likes to use routes (or names) with control cities even in urban areas.  NJ 18 at NJ 27 uses Highland Park- Princeton instead of Albany St- Raritan Avenue as urban signing should really be. 

The NJTA still does it on the Parkway like for Exit 143C.  TO NJ 124 Irvington instead of Madison Avenue- Springfield Avenue.  Irvington should be on a supplemental as most states would do that.  In fact before Exit 144 it should have a sign "Irvington Next 2 Exits" as 144 serves part of Irvington and is in Irvington proper at that point.

It was worse before as old signs had 144 signed as South Orange Avenue- Vailsurg Area- South Orange instead of just the street name of South Orange Avenue.

NJTA basically abandoned street names on BGS's with the MUTCD change, which is why 139 A-B no longer reference Chestnut Street (or, for whatever reason, NJ-82 WB, even though 139B was a better route to there than getting off at 140 and trying to weave over to the U-Turn to 22WB to get to the 82WB ramp). The only place that's not in play now is at 125 going SB, which doesn't list Sayreville for specific reasons which have already been discussed in this thread.

As for the 27 ramps on 18, I'm more of a fan of the classic Street Name on one line and destination town on the second for interchanges like that. Also, Franklin Park is a better control city for 27SB than Princeton. It will get you there eventually, but there are better ways to go (like 1 SB instead).

Alps

This is the Turnpike thread, not the Parkway thread. Note that 82 isn't signed at 139B due to use of local streets. NJDOT and NJTA both want to use state highways for that movement.

ixnay

Mergingtraffic (I like that handle), is that beat up speed limit sign on the Newark Bay extension an original from 1956?

ixnay

NJRoadfan

Quote from: Don'tKnowYet on April 19, 2018, 12:37:14 PM
Not exactly.  With the exception of what appears to be a grandfathered Double Trouble Road at southbound Exit 80, the Parkway only does 500 routes.  No 600.

The signing at Exit 80 thru 82 haven't been replaced yet. Heck, there is still button copy advance signing northbound for Exit 81 and 82 that survived the widening project. Eventually its all getting replaced with Exit 82 getting converted to a proper A/B setup.

roadman65

82 needs to be converted to an SPUI or add flyovers to the outdated cloverleaf that is there now.  That tight turn at 82 going SB is a big safety issue.  Maybe not to us, but most folks do not like to slow down, and really we should have a better turn configuration anyhow.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.