News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 29, 2019, 09:03:28 AM
^^Is it possible that mrhappy1261 was actually referring to the Delaware River Bridge (aka the Turnpike Connector Bridge (aka I-95)) as opposed to the Delaware Memorial Bridge?

Maybe, but when he said he'll like to take 95 thru Philly to see what it's like, I discounted that idea.

For what it's worth, 95 *thru* Philly isn't a bad ride whatsoever.  It's just getting to Philly from both the north and the south that's a PITA.  And for what it's worth, when you're not distracted by the drive, the view is very nice from the north.  From the South, and from a view standpoint, PennDOT swung and missed bigtime when they placed 95 North on the bottom level of the Girard Point Bridge.

famartin

^^Is it possible that mrhappy1261 was actually referring to the Delaware River Bridge (aka the Turnpike Connector Bridge (aka I-95)) as opposed to the Delaware Memorial Bridge?

I don't think so. Does anyone even call it "The Delaware River Bridge"?  Its so unspecific it could mean any of them. Delaware Memorial Bridge is very specific. 

PHLBOS

Quote from: famartin on July 29, 2019, 11:09:47 AM

I don't think so. Does anyone even call it "The Delaware River Bridge"?
When the bridge was temporarily shut down a couple years ago due to cracking on the span was discovered; some of the news reporters indeed referred to that span as the Delaware River Bridge.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 29, 2019, 10:56:39 AMFrom the South, and from a view standpoint, PennDOT swung and missed bigtime when they placed 95 North on the bottom level of the Girard Point Bridge.
One can probably thank the FAA for such.  The reasoning behind that orientation was likely due to the approach path for then-Runway 9-27 (current 9R-27L) at nearby PHL.  Had the upper-deck carried the northbound lanes; guess on my part, the potential for a pilot or co-pilot to be blinded by northbound headlights while coming in for a landing is higher.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

famartin

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 29, 2019, 11:59:01 AM

I don't think so. Does anyone even call it "The Delaware River Bridge"?
When the bridge was temporarily shut down a couple years ago due to cracking on the span was discovered; some of the news reporters indeed referred to that span as the Delaware River Bridge.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 29, 2019, 10:56:39 AMFrom the South, and from a view standpoint, PennDOT swung and missed bigtime when they placed 95 North on the bottom level of the Girard Point Bridge.
One can probably thank the FAA for such.  The reasoning behind that orientation was likely due to the approach path for then-Runway 9-27 (current 9R-27L) at nearby PHL.  Had the upper-deck carried the northbound lanes; guess on my part, the potential for a pilot or co-pilot to be blinded by northbound headlights while coming in for a landing is higher.

I had thought of the same thing as Jeff, but your explanation does make some sense.  Still would be nice though...

ixnay

I don't think so. Does anyone even call it "The Delaware River Bridge"?  Its so unspecific it could mean any of them. Delaware Memorial Bridge is very specific.

What is now the Benjamin Franklin Bridge was originally the Delaware River Bridge until IIRC 1956 when it was renamed to mark Franklin's 250th birthday.

ixnay

storm2k

so from exit 11 northward to 14, the njta has erected portable vsls as well as portable vms to display speed limits and times to exit 14a. a part of the latest round of newark bay extension construction, i'm sure, but interesting that they're using these instead of, you know, the actual custom designed and built overhead vms's and vsls's that were installed a few years ago. in fact, most of the vsls in that stretch are not even displaying speed limits anymore. other than the ones just north of 13 where that massive truck fire was earlier this year, i would think the rest would be working fine.

Beltway

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 29, 2019, 11:59:01 AM

More change in elevation as well, climbing from near ground level near Enterprise Avenue, to the top level of the bridge, and then down to the elevated viaduct near Broad Street.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

roadman65

How do we end up talking Philly when this is the NJ Turnpike?   :bigass:
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: ixnay on July 29, 2019, 07:00:15 PM

What is now the Benjamin Franklin Bridge was originally the Delaware River Bridge until IIRC 1956 when it was renamed to mark Franklin's 250th birthday.

ixnay
All of these things are true - I-95 is the Delaware River Bridge (no honorific) and I-676 started life as such.

famartin

Quote from: Alps on July 30, 2019, 08:43:02 PM

ixnay
All of these things are true - I-95 is the Delaware River Bridge (no honorific) and I-676 started life as such.

While yeah, they are all true, (and I was aware of them already), generally I know no one who actually refers to the Turnpije bridge as the "Delaware River Bridge" . It's the Turnpike river bridge or Turnpike Delaware River Bridge. There's too many bridges over the river to call any one of them "Delaware River Bridge"  without a reference to the turnpike.

So, again, especially since the kid has made several references to traveling north-south along the east coast, I'm pretty sure that when he said "Delaware Memorial Bridge" , that's exactly what he meant. He was just doing what he's been doing elsewhere in the forum - inserting himself into discussions that he doesn't necessarily have anything to add to.

roadman65

The Delaware River Bridge is the official name for the now defunct Exit 30 as I remember it on the ticket back in the day.

I think its the Delaware River Turnpike Bridge, but I was from North Jersey so I did not know the lingo for that part of the state.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on July 30, 2019, 11:09:43 PM
The Delaware River Bridge is the official name for the now defunct Exit 30 as I remember it on the ticket back in the day.

I think its the Delaware River Turnpike Bridge, but I was from North Jersey so I did not know the lingo for that part of the state.

The lingo is usually along the lines of the New Jersey/Pennsylvania Turnpike Connector Bridge.

PHLBOS

Quote from: famartin on July 30, 2019, 09:21:47 PMSo, again, especially since the kid has made several references to traveling north-south along the east coast, I'm pretty sure that when he said "Delaware Memorial Bridge" , that's exactly what he meant.
He also mentioned going through Philly in said-posts in this thread more than once.  Such was when which bridge he was actually referring to came into question.  Most here know that, under most circumstances, one does not use the Delaware Memorial Bridge when one's heading to/from/through Philly.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

famartin

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 31, 2019, 08:54:30 AM
Quote from: famartin on July 30, 2019, 09:21:47 PMSo, again, especially since the kid has made several references to traveling north-south along the east coast, I'm pretty sure that when he said "Delaware Memorial Bridge" , that's exactly what he meant.
He also mentioned going through Philly in said-posts in this thread more than once.  Such was when which bridge he was actually referring to came into question.  Most here know that, under most circumstances, one does not use the Delaware Memorial Bridge when one's heading to/from/through Philly.

No, he said that he might've been detoured through Philly due to backups on the bridge, but he wasn't familiar with that area or the other bridges Jeff mentioned.

RobbieL2415

I also noticed, last Friday, that the last standing OG VMS on the Turnpike Extension is gone.

Alps

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on July 31, 2019, 06:18:03 PM
I also noticed, last Friday, that the last standing OG VMS on the Turnpike Extension is gone.
The dude that's still on the PA side eastbound? That'd be sad.

mrsman

Quote from: famartin on July 30, 2019, 09:21:47 PM

ixnay

While yeah, they are all true, (and I was aware of them already), generally I know no one who actually refers to the Turnpije bridge as the "Delaware River Bridge" . It's the Turnpike river bridge or Turnpike Delaware River Bridge. There's too many bridges over the river to call any one of them "Delaware River Bridge"  without a reference to the turnpike.

So, again, especially since the kid has made several references to traveling north-south along the east coast, I'm pretty sure that when he said "Delaware Memorial Bridge" , that's exactly what he meant. He was just doing what he's been doing elsewhere in the forum - inserting himself into discussions that he doesn't necessarily have anything to add to.

Given the confusion, I believe they should find a prominent historical person who hails from the general area and name the bridge after that person.  Ben Franklin and Betsy Ross are taken, but I'm sure there are others.

I would shy away from anyone controversial, of course.

Louisa May Alcott, a prominent author, was born in Germantown. PA - so she could be one choice.

D-Dey65

New topic; How many people have had their cars fixed at the service areas on the New Jersey Turnpike?

:wave:

In November 2017, I drove up and down the coast with bad tires on my car, and when I was going down, I filled one of them up with air at the Walt Whitman Service Area, only to have to fill it up again at the Clara Barton Service Area. I didn't replace any of them until I got down to a Wal-Mart in Rocky Mount, North Carolina, and that was the next day. I probably should've got them done on the Turnpike.

In October 2018, I had my oil changed at the John Fenwick Service Area, because I was getting close to the point where it was going to be time to get it changed. What I didn't realize was that I could've just as easily waited until I got to the James Fenimore Cooper Service Area. The mechanic was surprised that I requested such a repair, especially in the fall. I didn't find out until I got home that the guy forgot to put a seal back in my oil pan.

In April 2019, I had my windshield wipers replaced at the Vince Lombardi Service Area early in the morning on the way back down to Florida. The ones I had were doing a crappy job of keeping my windshield clean (in fact I think they made it dirtier), and when I brought it in, he could see they were finished. I got them replaced, paid the guy, and I was off. For some reason though, I kind of wished this had happened in the fall or winter.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mrsman on August 18, 2019, 01:01:28 PM
Quote from: famartin on July 30, 2019, 09:21:47 PM

ixnay

Given the confusion, I believe they should find a prominent historical person who hails from the general area and name the bridge after that person.  Ben Franklin and Betsy Ross are taken, but I'm sure there are others.

I would shy away from anyone controversial, of course.

Louisa May Alcott, a prominent author, was born in Germantown. PA - so she could be one choice.

I don't thinks there's much confusion...mainly because he was thinking of a bridge that never once has been referred to the name he was thinking.

The Route 1, 78, 80, and other bridges North of Trenton aren't named after historical people either.

Besides...it seems like everyone from the past has a few skeletons in their closet.

odditude

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 18, 2019, 03:57:19 PM
Besides...it seems like everyone from the past has a few skeletons in their closet.
Exit 6 for Hookers and Blow Bridge?

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Alps on July 31, 2019, 08:13:35 PM
I looked for it intently along the shoulder but there was nothing.  They're doing construction on that end anyways so maybe it got knocked down.

Roadwarriors79

So over the weekend I got to drive on the Turnpike SB, from exit 14 to exit 6. Also on two of the extensions (I-78 WB and I-95 SB). A few observations from the drive.

-- The signs on WB I-78 approaching exit 14 just have "New York" as the control city for I-95/Turnpike NB. The signs look to be the same size as the blank pull-through signs on the mainline going NB.

-- After almost a year of the interchange in Pennsylvania being open, I would have figured that in August 2019 the remaining I-95 shields would have been installed on the mainline by now. But as of yesterday, no changes. I did see a standalone I-95/NJ Turnpike reassurance marker on the SB truck/bus lanes at mile marker 65. I don't know how long that has been there.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on August 26, 2019, 10:45:38 AM
-- After almost a year of the interchange in Pennsylvania being open, I would have figured that in August 2019 the remaining I-95 shields would have been installed on the mainline by now. But as of yesterday, no changes. I did see a standalone I-95/NJ Turnpike reassurance marker on the SB truck/bus lanes at mile marker 65. I don't know how long that has been there.
It's been there since this past March/April. Such was first mentioned on Reply #2520 of this thread
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on August 22, 2019, 08:03:32 PM
Quote from: Alps on July 31, 2019, 08:13:35 PM
I looked for it intently along the shoulder but there was nothing.  They're doing construction on that end anyways so maybe it got knocked down.

I drove that way Thursday evening, and realized when I was on the bridge I never saw the sign either.

Alps

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on August 26, 2019, 10:45:38 AM
So over the weekend I got to drive on the Turnpike SB, from exit 14 to exit 6. Also on two of the extensions (I-78 WB and I-95 SB). A few observations from the drive.

-- The signs on WB I-78 approaching exit 14 just have "New York" as the control city for I-95/Turnpike NB. The signs look to be the same size as the blank pull-through signs on the mainline going NB.

Today I saw a "JCT NORTH 95" on 700 NB below the I-95 NB flyover, so there's at least that, though nowt else. As far as I-78, after Newark the next control city for I-95 is New York, but that really doesn't make sense when anyone going to NYC would take I-78 EB instead. I would suggest adding Paterson for I-80, but there's no other control city besides NY for I-95 at that point (it's an Interstate so is subject to the official list).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.