News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Alabama

Started by codyg1985, November 02, 2011, 07:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

AL 300 and AL 301 are short connector routes which probably won't be signed. Maybe these AL 3xx routes are simply routes that are on the log books indicating that the state maintains them but will not be signed.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

bdmoss88

Quote from: Charles2 on April 17, 2017, 09:24:40 PM
Quote from: bdmoss88 on April 16, 2017, 08:59:41 PM
I noticed today that the section of old US-82 east of Centreville replaced with the last section of bypass last year is now signed as AL-382.

Is it actually signed, or is the route just designated on maps?  Last time I was in Centreville, there was no signage for AL-382.  That said I've not seen any signage for any of the other 3xx state routes that have been created in the state: 378 in Birmingham, 300 in Tuscaloosa County, or 301 in Calhoun County.
It's actually signed. I didn't notice them on the way up on Saturday but did on Sunday coming back.
I may be going back through next weekend. I'll try to remember to stop and get a pic or two unless someone else gets it before then.

bdmoss88

Got a pic of one yesterday.

Voyager75

Went on a quick unexpected trip to Tuscaloosa today and noticed all the AL 215 signs have been covered up for some reason at US 82. Any explanation known? I didn't get a chance to go down onto 82 and see if they were gone from signage there.

codyg1985

AL 215 has been rerouted onto 15th Street.
Cody Goodman

Voyager75

Quote from: codyg1985 on May 08, 2017, 09:01:22 AM

Thanks. Guess I missed the memo about that...and failed to zoom into Google maps to notice.

bdmoss88

Didn't they re-route it when they were replacing the University Blvd overpass over Kicker Rd? Are they planning to move it back?

Voyager75

Quote from: bdmoss88 on May 08, 2017, 10:02:31 PM
Didn't they re-route it when they were replacing the University Blvd overpass over Kicker Rd? Are they planning to move it back?

Yeah the state moved it when the bridge was being replaced according to The Tuscaloosa News. Sounds like state and the University both wanted to get non-student drivers out of the campus when traveling thru town so they saw it as a win-win.

bdmoss88

Quote from: Voyager75 on May 08, 2017, 10:19:27 PM

Yeah the state moved it when the bridge was being replaced according to The Tuscaloosa News. Sounds like state and the University both wanted to get non-student drivers out of the campus when traveling thru town so they saw it as a win-win.
That makes sense.

Voyager75

US 11 has become AL 11 at I-59 Exit 166 in Ashville while temporarily re-routed. Down in Springville the detour signs are of the correct US variety. The contractor caught the mistake I guess.

Charles2

Rerouting SR-215 onto 15th Street diverts through traffic from driving through the middle of the campus at the University of Alabama.  Work done last summer has created a far more aesthetically pleasing view as one passes through the campus.

Several years ago a similar project was done in Auburn.  First, US-29 North was diverted from College Street onto I-85 at Exit 51 (College Street-Chewacla State Park), and SR-147 was extended along College Street.  This may have been the same time that SR-14 was truncated to end at Shug Jordan Parkway (then SR-267).  Finally, SR-147 was rerouted onto Shug Jordan Parkway and eventually SR-267 was decommissioned.

Obviously, both moves were implemented to reduce through traffic from the campuses of the two largest universities in the state.

Charles2

Good news for Shelby County, but this isn't enough:

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2017/05/gov_ivey_i-65_in_north_shelby.html#incart_river_home

I-65 needs to be six lanes wide between Shelby County and Prattville.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Charles2 on May 12, 2017, 12:42:29 AM

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2017/05/gov_ivey_i-65_in_north_shelby.html#incart_river_home

I-65 could stand to be 6 lanes wide across the whole state, along with I-565 from Exit 9 to I-65.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

froggie

Not the whole state.  Lengthy segments south of Montgomery that don't even come close to the traffic demand for 6 lanes.

codyg1985

Quote from: Charles2 on May 12, 2017, 12:42:29 AM

The Shelby County portion should have been done a decade ago. At least then widening efforts could be focused along the rest of I-65 to Montgomery.
Cody Goodman

barcncpt44

ABC 33/40 reported on their newscast that ALDOT is considering tolling the current George Wallace Tunnel to pay for the new Mobile River Bridge to replace the tunnel and the traffic jams and also 8-laning the I-10 bridge over Mobile Bay.  It was reported on their newscasts, but I have seen nothing online about this.

A bland smile is like a green light at an intersection, it feels good when you get one, but you forget it the moment you're past it. -Doug Coupland

codyg1985

Quote from: barcncpt44 on May 16, 2017, 06:40:00 PM
ABC 33/40 reported on their newscast that ALDOT is considering tolling the current George Wallace Tunnel to pay for the new Mobile River Bridge to replace the tunnel and the traffic jams and also 8-laning the I-10 bridge over Mobile Bay.  It was reported on their newscasts, but I have seen nothing online about this.

Here you go

I honestly don't see why they would toll the tunnel before a bridge is built. To me, a better solution would be a PPP where the eventual bridge is tolled and the existing tunnels reconfigured so that one tube services peds and bikes while the other is a two-lane road. This would better encourage people to take the bridge.

If just the tunnel is tolled without a new bridge, then I could see many folks just taking I-65/165/US 90 to avoid the tunnels. If the new bridge is tolled and the existing Wallace Tunnel was converted as I describe above, at least people will get a nice wide bridge to drive across instead of paying more for what would be the same product.
Cody Goodman

barcncpt44

From what I read from ALDOT's Mobile River Bridge website.  They could make the Bankhead Tunnel a bike and ped only facility.  And the current George Wallace tunnel would serve for traffic going to downtown Mobile.  The bikes and peds could also go on the new Mobile River bridge or on the Cochrane-Africatown Bridge and down I-165 by taking out one lane.
http://www.mobileriverbridge.com/gallery/bicyclepedestrian-workshop-presentation/

A bland smile is like a green light at an intersection, it feels good when you get one, but you forget it the moment you're past it. -Doug Coupland

codyg1985

I think that any tolling solution would need to include the Bayway as well (tolling existing as well as new and improved). This way it would be harder to shunpike without taking a slower route (US 90/98).
Cody Goodman

Voyager75

Massive project about to begin next year in Tuscaloosa including a cool I-20/59 bridge replacement of its own...

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/news/20170520/bridge-road-plan-for-south-tuscaloosa-moving-forward

codyg1985

Quote from: Voyager75 on May 22, 2017, 05:53:54 PM
Massive project about to begin next year in Tuscaloosa including a cool I-20/59 bridge replacement of its own...

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/news/20170520/bridge-road-plan-for-south-tuscaloosa-moving-forward

I am guessing the I-20/59 bridge replacement at McFarland will coincide with the widening to six lanes that has been creeping southwest for all of the years.

I am wondering how traffic will be managed while this bridge is built? It will be much more difficult than a typical bridge widening.

At least from what I can gather the state won't be chipping in much more to build out the new bridge since Tuscaloosa has a sales tax mechanism in place to fund road projects.
Cody Goodman

Voyager75

Quote from: codyg1985 on May 23, 2017, 07:36:16 AM
Quote from: Voyager75 on May 22, 2017, 05:53:54 PM

I am guessing the I-20/59 bridge replacement at McFarland will coincide with the widening to six lanes that has been creeping southwest for all of the years.

I am wondering how traffic will be managed while this bridge is built? It will be much more difficult than a typical bridge widening.

At least from what I can gather the state won't be chipping in much more to build out the new bridge since Tuscaloosa has a sales tax mechanism in place to fund road projects.

I guess northbound interstate traffic will be diverted off at I-359/AL 69 and southbound at Exit 76. US 11/Skyland Blvd. will be a nightmare for people who are travelling through town and have no idea how to navigate local streets. Unless the McFarland bridge is past its life span(which is probable) I would have built these Echelon interchanges first to help traffic flow then proceed with the bridge.

froggie

They won't divert Interstate traffic off.  More likely, what you'll see is temporary bridges and ramp closures.

Anyone else notice that, based on the photos in the article, the planned interchange design for 20/59 at 82/McFarland appears to be a SPUI?

Also, since the article mentions it, what's planned for AL 69 at Skyland is a tight diamond interchange.

Voyager75

Quote from: froggie on May 23, 2017, 05:11:57 PM
They won't divert Interstate traffic off.  More likely, what you'll see is temporary bridges and ramp closures.

Anyone else notice that, based on the photos in the article, the planned interchange design for 20/59 at 82/McFarland appears to be a SPUI?

Also, since the article mentions it, what's planned for AL 69 at Skyland is a tight diamond interchange.

http://abc3340.com/news/local/new-i-2059-bridge-planned-for-tuscaloosa

This ABC 33/40 article calls it a SPUI via ALDOT

codyg1985

Quote from: froggie on May 23, 2017, 05:11:57 PM

What is interesting is the Echelon Interchange at McFarland and SKyland. Folks from Skyland wishing to access I-20/59 Westbound have a dedicated lane adjacent to the flyover for McFarland traffic going westbound which would tie into the left turn lanes to access I-20/59 Westbound.

A lot of work looks to be planned along and south of the I-20/59 corridor in Tuscaloosa for sure.
Cody Goodman

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.