News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Innovative, Unique, or Strange Lane Markings

Started by TEG24601, September 14, 2016, 11:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: roadfro on May 21, 2023, 04:29:55 PM
Another thing with this situation is what happens after the right lane ends: https://goo.gl/maps/RTXYNKwdEdngZGe36.

I've never understood why some jurisdictions use a dotted lane line up to the point where the lane completely disappears.

I dislike it as well, but it is an option specifically described in the MUTCD (Figure 3B-9) for use at on-ramps.

Quote from: jakeroot on May 22, 2023, 07:29:58 PM
I do like when they are used at merges, as it reduces the legal ambiguity of who has right-of-way ...

Not necessarily.  For example, Illinois state law puts equal responsibility on both drivers at a merge:

Quote from: Illinois Compiled Statutes
Vehicles

625 ILCS 5 – Illinois Vehicle Code

Article IX – Right-of-Way

Sec. 11-905 – Merging traffic – Notwithstanding the right-of-way provision in Section 11-901 of this Act, at an intersection where traffic lanes are provided for merging traffic the driver of each vehicle on the converging roadways is required to adjust his vehicular speed and lateral position so as to avoid a collision with another vehicle.

I pointed this fact out to |Crash_It| a couple of years ago.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.