News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Hello

Started by F350, November 08, 2009, 07:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F350

I'm new here. I have been reading aaroads.com for years, never knowing it had its own forum until recently.  :biggrin: I ran into the forum while looking up a route.

I want to hear opinions about taking the best toll-free route. Planning a long trip I'm gonna take from D.C. to Rapid City, SD.

I-90 would be the best/fastest after I go through several interstates to get there. However, I don't know how much the tolls will cost. I drove on I-80/90 once, and tolls cost me $20 many moons ago. I don't want to know now. Is I-80 tolled as bad as I-90 is?

While I live near I-70, it's too far out of way. I'm sure it will add at least 500 miles if I want to avoid tolls. Then again I'll be paying it in gas and wear/tear.

Any suggestions for toll-free interstates from D.C. to Rapid City? Thanks.

Alps

Our base is 1,610 miles and 25 hours according to Google (I-270 to I-70, I-76, I-80, I-90).  Lots of tolls.

At 1,696 miles and 26 hours, you can take I-270 to I-70, I-68, I-79, I-70 through Indy, I-465, I-74, I-80, I-29 (Google suggests I-680 as a link), I-90.

That's 86 miles and less than 90 minutes more.  Go for it.

mefailenglish

I actually did a very similar drive a couple of months back.  I'll second the 70-68-79-70-465-74-80 routing.  But it's actually slightly shorter to jump off I-80 near Iowa City and follow I-380/SR 27/Avenue of the Saints up to Clear Lake and take I-35 north to I-90 west.  But the difference is maybe 10 miles?

Enjoy the trip.  There's a lot to see and do along the route, especially in South Dakota.

Alps

Quote from: mefailenglish on November 09, 2009, 07:56:25 AM
I actually did a very similar drive a couple of months back.  I'll second the 70-68-79-70-465-74-80 routing.  But it's actually slightly shorter to jump off I-80 near Iowa City and follow I-380/SR 27/Avenue of the Saints up to Clear Lake and take I-35 north to I-90 west.  But the difference is maybe 10 miles?

Enjoy the trip.  There's a lot to see and do along the route, especially in South Dakota.

Google says it's 14 miles shorter your way.  Given that you're talking about 70 miles on surface roads, I'd probably say you'd eat up the distance savings in extra time.  The other reason to go with I-29 is the OP said "interstates".  Hey, to some people (my father, for example), that makes a difference.

F350

I always bypass I-70/I-76/PA TNPK - I loathe driving on it.

I mapped out I-270 to I-70, I-68, I-79, I-70 through Indy, I-465, I-74, I-80, I-29, then I-90; this looks like the best route to take, time and fuel wise.

Thanks!

Alps - finally, someone else gets it! Yes, it makes a difference. When I say interstates, I mean interstates! I always correct others when they say "routes" - we talking about a state route, a U.S. route, or an interstate?  ;-)

Alps

Well F350, I get it, but that doesn't mean I agree. ;)  If you had to go from, say, Bristol TN to Pittsburgh PA, you would start off I-81 to I-77 and switch off to I-79.  Although Google says it takes longer, Google is very bad when it comes to surface roads - both time and distance are shorter if you cut that corner via US 19.  And don't forget that many state routes or US routes are freeways for much if not all of their lengths.  Some freeways don't even have route numbers!  So in this case, an all-Interstate routing is pretty close to the best you can get.  Stay open-minded, because it's not always the case.  Happy travels!

Hellfighter

Welcome from Michigan!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.