News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Using tiny cloverleafs

Started by yand, July 04, 2019, 05:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yand

Based on my calculations, a 270 degree loop ramp with a 7% grade climbing 22ft (16ft clearance + 6ft bridge thickness) would have a minimum inner radius of 66.5ft, and a speed of 10-15mph
I have an idea for using such ramps on a tiny cloverleaf.
The interchange would be entered through CD lane with plenty of room to decelerate. Once decelerated in the CD lane, the speed limit would be 15mph, enforced by a mild speed bump maybe 40ft before the loop meets the cd lane.
Just like in a roundabout, all entering traffic must yield: Traffic on the C/D lane has to yield to loop traffic, right turning traffic has to yield to C/D lane traffic. This keeps the inner loop flowing freely even in the event of a backup.
Once right turning traffic merges into the C/D lane, then vehicles can use the long acceleration lane to get up to speed and merge.
I think such a cloverleaf would be best used on as a cheap interchange between two high speed freeways. I would much prefer a mini cloverleaf with C/D lane, right of way for the loop, and long accelerate lane. - As opposed to a medium cloverleaf that feeds low speed loop traffic directly into the mainline but has little room to accelerate. I'm guessing a mini cloverleaf with CD lane would cost about the same as a medium cloverleaf without it. There shouldn't really be much of a capacity difference of taking a longer medium loop at 25mph vs a shorter small loop at 15mph.
Thoughts?
I make videos for Full Length Interstates. FullLengthInterstates.com redirects to my channel at youtube.com/FullLengthInterstates

sprjus4

Quote from: yand on July 04, 2019, 05:34:03 PM
Based on my calculations, a 270 degree loop ramp with a 7% grade climbing 22ft (16ft clearance + 6ft bridge thickness) would have a minimum inner radius of 66.5ft, and a speed of 10-15mph
I have an idea for using such ramps on a tiny cloverleaf.
The interchange would be entered through CD lane with plenty of room to decelerate. Once decelerated in the CD lane, the speed limit would be 15mph, enforced by a mild speed bump maybe 40ft before the loop meets the cd lane.
Just like in a roundabout, all entering traffic must yield: Traffic on the C/D lane has to yield to loop traffic, right turning traffic has to yield to C/D lane traffic. This keeps the inner loop flowing freely even in the event of a backup.
Once right turning traffic merges into the C/D lane, then vehicles can use the long acceleration lane to get up to speed and merge.
I think such a cloverleaf would be best used on as a cheap interchange between two high speed freeways. I would much prefer a mini cloverleaf with C/D lane, right of way for the loop, and long accelerate lane. - As opposed to a medium cloverleaf that feeds low speed loop traffic directly into the mainline but has little room to accelerate. I'm guessing a mini cloverleaf with CD lane would cost about the same as a medium cloverleaf without it. There shouldn't really be much of a capacity difference of taking a longer medium loop at 25mph vs a shorter small loop at 15mph.
Thoughts?
I-85 / I-74 in High Point, NC was done like this. C/D lanes, but extremely small loop radius. The interchange opened when I-74 opened through that area in September 2011.

It still would have been nicer if they used a larger radius, especially given all the room they had, and still have the C/D lanes.

But it works nonetheless.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9290162,-79.9249165,905m/data=!3m1!1e3

yand

A 140ft, 25 mph loop is pretty small but not that uncommon. I'm talking the smallest loop possible which is about half that size
Basically this https://www.google.com/maps/@19.4033637,-99.1365865,176m/data=!3m1!1e3
,but slightly bigger
I make videos for Full Length Interstates. FullLengthInterstates.com redirects to my channel at youtube.com/FullLengthInterstates

kalvado

I wonder how 7% grade would work for heavy trucks, especially in winter with snow/ice on the road..

yand

That is a concern. What are the steepest grades allowable in northern climates?
A solution that doesn't increase the cloverleaf's overall size is to make the normal portion of the ramp wide enough to fit the entire truck+trailer, then have the right shoulder available and marked for bypassing stopped vehicles.
edit:
alternatively, we could add a road with easier slope to one of the quadrants that provides at-grade connection in event of low traction due to snow and ice, or a special/oversize/underpowered vehicle

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kalvado on July 04, 2019, 06:16:49 PM
I wonder how 7% grade would work for heavy trucks, especially in winter with snow/ice on the road..

I think it's 3% but not sure. I think I heard that to fit it in, the new NJ42N to 295N ramp with a slight S curve along the incline to it is going to be 5%, and they're a bit worried about it in wintertime.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.