News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Did I-515 in Las Vegas become I-11?

Started by 404inthe404, November 11, 2023, 04:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

I also took a few months for WisDOT to place the 'I-41' signs in the wild after it became 'official'.

Mike

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on November 13, 2023, 10:34:44 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on November 13, 2023, 01:22:37 AM

Quote from: Rothman on November 12, 2023, 11:37:54 PM
Can't have been on a route that wasn't there... :D

You can't be on a route as it's just a bureaucratic fiction; it is a pointer to a physical road. You're on the road, not the route. And the road is the same.

Or...  A road is a type of route.  A route is the way you get from A to B.  But are we clinching numerical designations?
Yes.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on November 13, 2023, 01:57:46 PM

You can't be on a route as it's just a bureaucratic fiction; it is a pointer to a physical road. You're on the road, not the route. And the road is the same.

Or...  A road is a type of route.  A route is the way you get from A to B.  But are we clinching numerical designations?

Yes.

Is there any state whose routes are not legislatively defined?  I have a vague memory that someone mentioned one in a different thread, but not which state it may have been.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

I made the argument in an offline chat that the "sign route" designation is only real as the observer gives it merit.  The example used was recently relinquished NV 121 (deleted 2021).  To me it has just as much merit as an actively signed route does if not more now.  At least now I can ask myself the question "why was NV 121 there to begin with?"  I tend to find those answers to way more interesting to look into than actively signed modern routes. 

But then again, this hobby is what one makes of it.  If one wants to hang on TM and only clinch actively signed/state maintained highways good on them.  It still doesn't make a lot of sense "to me" to go revisit a road for the sole purpose of driving it again because the sign route number changed.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on November 13, 2023, 02:03:15 PM

Yes.

Is there any state whose routes are not legislatively defined?  I have a vague memory that someone mentioned one in a different thread, but not which state it may have been.

They're not legislatively defined in Oklahoma—route numbering is done under authority of the Transportation Commission, which is part of the executive branch. I believe Texas has a similar structure.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

Yes.

NJ has written legislative routes, many of which were last updated in the 1930's, 1940's and 1950's. Many if not most don't match their actual current routing.

https://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/nxt/gateway.dll?f=templates&fn=default.htm&vid=Publish:10.1048/Enu

Using one example, NJ Route 55's northern terminus is with NJ Route 42 in Deptford, NJ.  However, per its definition, the northern terminus was supposed to be US 130 in Westville, which would be close to or exactly where NJ 45 meets US 130. I've never seen a map showing such a proposed routing.

hotdogPi

Massachusetts

EDIT: This is probably the answer to the question below.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kphoger

OK, poor word choice.  I thought I remembered someone mentioning a state where, basically, signage alone is your guide to what's a state route and what's not.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NE2

Quote from: kphoger on November 13, 2023, 02:34:58 PM
OK, poor word choice.  I thought I remembered someone mentioning a state where, basically, signage alone is your guide to what's a state route and what's not.
Rhode Island?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Henry

All I can say is it will be a matter of time before I-515 becomes history and I-11 takes over...if it hasn't happened already.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

cl94

Quote from: Henry on November 14, 2023, 11:14:36 PM
All I can say is it will be a matter of time before I-515 becomes history and I-11 takes over...if it hasn't happened already.

Calm yo' horses, because it hasn't happened yet. But it will soon.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadfro

Cross-posting from the main I-11 thread...

NDOT is holding a public meeting on 11/30 to discuss a feasibility study for upgrades to US 95 between Kyle Canyon and Mercury (News Release). But check this little nugget in the last paragraph (emphasis added):
QuoteIn 2022, highway authorities pinpointed the preferred route for Interstate 11 through the Las Vegas Valley. This route will utilize I-515 and U.S. 95, traversing Clark County between Henderson and Kyle Canyon. The official process of renaming and resigning those freeways is slated to begin in early 2024.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

The Ghostbuster

It would not be difficult to upgrade US 95 into Interstate 11 between NV 157 and Mercury Hwy. I assume the Indian Springs Bypass will be a short one, since the town's population is just under 1,000.

pderocco

I wonder if they'd just take the land adjacent to US-95, and turn it into a freeway with frontage roads. As opposed to putting a big loop south of the town.

roadfro

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 16, 2023, 05:26:30 PM
It would not be difficult to upgrade US 95 into Interstate 11 between NV 157 and Mercury Hwy. I assume the Indian Springs Bypass will be a short one, since the town's population is just under 1,000.
Quote from: pderocco on November 16, 2023, 08:00:45 PM
I wonder if they'd just take the land adjacent to US-95, and turn it into a freeway with frontage roads. As opposed to putting a big loop south of the town.

There's already two-way frontage roads on both sides of the highway in Indian Springs. Since Creech AFB has gobbled up any private land on the north side, the northern frontage road no longer has any useful purpose—the only thing accessing it is the former main gate into Creech, which is now unused. So there is a bit of room to work with potentially upgrading US 95 in place, although it might need to be depressed to do it.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.