News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyon Wonder

There's more interest in Moline in preserving the pony truss and toll plaza portion of the old I-74 bridge and turning it into a pier.

https://qctimes.com/news/local/more-talks-on-turning-toll-plaza-on-old-i-74-bridge-into-public-pier/article_06d406f7-bfc9-5847-a5ce-e35f8a2fb7fe.html

Revive 755

^ I'd take the pier over nothing surviving, but I'd really wish one of the old I-74 bridges could have been kept as a local traffic or pedestrian structure, given the rarity of suspension bridges across the Mississippi.

Lyon Wonder

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 01, 2021, 10:16:27 PM
^ I'd take the pier over nothing surviving, but I'd really wish one of the old I-74 bridges could have been kept as a local traffic or pedestrian structure, given the rarity of suspension bridges across the Mississippi.

The US 30 bridge upstream between Clinton, IA and Fulton, IL is also a suspension bridge, and probably the last suspension bridge across the Mississippi after the old I-74 bridge is removed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_Bridge_(Illinois%E2%80%93Iowa)

http://bridgehunter.com/ia/clinton/20860/

Revive 755

Quote from: Lyon Wonder on May 01, 2021, 10:55:48 PM
The US 30 bridge upstream between Clinton, IA and Fulton, IL is also a suspension bridge, and probably the last suspension bridge across the Mississippi after the old I-74 bridge is removed.

There would still be the Hennepin Avenue Bridge in Minneapolis.

skluth

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 02, 2021, 01:16:27 PM

There's also the Grand Tower Pipeline Bridge near Cape Girardeau, but you can't drive across it.  :-D

ilpt4u

Quote from: skluth on May 04, 2021, 08:32:06 PM

There's also the Grand Tower Pipeline Bridge near Cape Girardeau, but you can't drive across it.  :-D
If you are crazy enough, you can probably walk across the Grand Tower bridge...but the approach (at least on the IL side) is decently secured. It would involve some climbing to get up there

edwaleni

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 04, 2021, 09:09:32 PM
Quote from: skluth on May 04, 2021, 08:32:06 PM

If you are crazy enough, you can probably walk across the Grand Tower bridge...but the approach (at least on the IL side) is decently secured. It would involve some climbing to get up there

You can try but will get confronted by either UFO's:

https://huntingtonstrangetravels.wordpress.com/2016/03/23/the-1973-grand-tower-ufo-sightings/

Or Shipwrecks:

https://www.kfvs12.com/2020/09/30/grand-tower-shipwreck/

The pipeline opened in 1955 as the first pipeline suspension bridge built over the Mississippi River and connects Corpus Christi, TX through Chicago and ultimately to Detroit. It carries 500 million cubic feet of gas per day at a pressure of 850 lb/square inch. The towers are 256' each and construction costs were an estimated $3.8 million in 1953

1 man did fall into the river during the construction, but survived.

Speaking of mystery roads.
Does anyone know about the IKE Stevenson connector. It appeared in the 2010 CATS plan and there was land acquisition in the 1995 5 year plan on page 18 . 6 million 1.2 was IDOT  the rest was described as local demonstration. There was a story and the Tribune and then it vanished.
Does anyone know anything about it?
There were other projects that appeared in CATS that IDOT  and CDOT ignored but this one advanced.

iowahighways

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 01, 2021, 10:16:27 PM

The Illinois-bound span that is under construction now will have a dedicated bicycle/pedestrian lane.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

paulthemapguy

Can we get a count on the diverging diamond interchanges in Illinois?

Currently we have:
I-57 at Hill Ave. in Marion
IL-59 at I-88 in Naperville
I-90 at Elmhurst Road near Mt. Prospect

Under construction currently: I-55 at Weber Road by Bolingbrook

Coming soon:
I-80 at Houbolt Road in Joliet
I-55 at US52 by Joliet.

Is there anything I'm missing?
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

ilpt4u

I don't think any DDIs are planned for the I-55 Springfield project - SPUIs are

I can't think of any DDIs (yet) in the Metro East

Why D9 put one at The Hill Ave/17th St/Morgan St, who knows. I guess it does help after baseball games and other events at Rent One Park/Marion Miners Minor League/Independent baseball team

Rick Powell

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 13, 2021, 01:25:38 PM

Why D9 put one at The Hill Ave/17th St/Morgan St, who knows. I guess it does help after baseball games and other events at Rent One Park/Marion Miners Minor League/Independent baseball team

IL 111 at I-270 in Metro East will be a DDI.

https://idot.illinois.gov/Assets/uploads/files/IDOT-Projects/District-8/I-270-Preliminary-Engineering-Study/documents/Exhibit_IL111-Intersection_INTERIM%20BUILD%20REDUCED.pdf

Crash_It

Quote from: Rick Powell on May 13, 2021, 06:23:17 PM

IL 111 at I-270 in Metro East will be a DDI.

https://idot.illinois.gov/Assets/uploads/files/IDOT-Projects/District-8/I-270-Preliminary-Engineering-Study/documents/Exhibit_IL111-Intersection_INTERIM%20BUILD%20REDUCED.pdf

I55/70 and IL162 would be a better candidate for one. Such a PITA to have to stop at every single one of those lights.

Revive 755

Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 13, 2021, 12:49:21 PM
Coming soon:
I-55 at US52 by Joliet.

I thought I-55 at IL 59 was to be a DDI and the US 52 interchange was going to remain a compressed diamond?

DDI's coming someday to IL:

* I-39 at US 20/Harrison Street
* I-74 at IL 5

Quote from: Crash_It on May 13, 2021, 08:48:58 PM
I55/70 and IL162 would be a better candidate for one. Such a PITA to have to stop at every single one of those lights.

I'm only seeing one stoplight for the main interchange given the current SPUI configuration.  Changing that one to a DDI could make things worse with the nearby frontage road intersections.

I-39

Can we get a count on the diverging diamond interchanges in Illinois?

Currently we have:

Coming soon:
I-55 at US52 by Joliet.

Is there anything I'm missing?

Isn't one coming on the I-39/US 20/Harrison Ave project (that seems to keep getting pushed back for unknown reasons)?

hobsini2

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 13, 2021, 10:48:44 PM
Coming soon:
I-55 at US52 by Joliet.

I thought I-55 at IL 59 was to be a DDI and the US 52 interchange was going to remain a compressed diamond?

* I-74 at IL 5

Quote from: Crash_It on May 13, 2021, 08:48:58 PM

I'm only seeing one stoplight for the main interchange given the current SPUI configuration.  Changing that one to a DDI could make things worse with the nearby frontage road intersections.

I saw yesterday that both IL 59 AND US 52 are going to be DDIs.  There are 5 projects that are going to be happening this summer on I-55 between Arsenal Rd and 294.
Here's the article.
https://www.wjol.com/seven-construction-projects-this-summer-of-which-five-are-on-i-55/#:~:text=I%2D55%20at%20Illinois%2053,2021%20and%20completed%20fall%202021.

1. US 52 to I-80 - US 52 becomes a DDI. An aux lane is added between 52 and 80 in each direction. Work goes into 2023.
2. IL 59 - Bridge work in advance of converting the interchange to a DDI and with the proposed east extension toward Houbolt Rd.
3. River Rd to I&M Canal - Resurfacing.
4. I-80 to Weber Rd - Bridge rehab over US 30, CN (old EJ&E line) Bridge and Mink Creek.
5. IL 53 and Joliet Rd - Bridge redecking and widening.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Rick Powell

Quote from: hobsini2 on May 16, 2021, 03:07:48 PM
I saw yesterday that both IL 59 AND US 52 are going to be DDIs.  There are 5 projects that are going to be happening this summer on I-55 between Arsenal Rd and 294.
Here's the article.
https://www.wjol.com/seven-construction-projects-this-summer-of-which-five-are-on-i-55/#:~:text=I%2D55%20at%20Illinois%2053,2021%20and%20completed%20fall%202021.

I think the wording in the article is confusing and they are talking about the same Seil Road/IL 59/I-55 DDI in the first two projects mentioned. The IDOT website project map looks like the US 52 interchange will remain in its present form with some capacity improvements.

http://www.i55atil59accessproject.org/US%2052.html

paulthemapguy

My assessment of the US52/IL59 situation was incorrect.  The DDI is indeed going to be at IL-59, which I couldn't believe when I found it out.  I guess they want to provide access to some development in the northeast quadrant of the I-55/I-80 interchange, if it ever gets greenlit (or modified to something that deserves to be greenlit).

Here's my updated count for Illinois DDIs, including a quote to give credit for the additions where it's due.

Currently we have:

Coming soon:
I-55 at I-59* by Joliet.
* I-74 at IL 5
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Illinois out out the new MAP today. First read nothing much new. It's based on current federal funding. Not counting any stimulus or next federal bill chickens before they hatch.

Paulinator66

This is correct.  I suggested them at a CAG meeting during the planning stages but it was never even considered. I think the engineer for the project (Hanson) views DDI's as experimental, too costly, or both. 

inkyatari

Quote from: hobsini2 on May 16, 2021, 03:07:48 PM

3. River Rd to I&M Canal - Resurfacing.

The whole damn thing needs to be rebuilt from the I&M up to Weber
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Revive 755

Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 17, 2021, 07:47:56 PM
Here's my updated count for Illinois DDIs, including a quote to give credit for the additions where it's due.

Currently we have:

Coming soon:
I-55 at I-59* by Joliet.
* I-74 at IL 5

You forgot I-270 at IL 111.

And if this site is accurate, perhaps I-255 at Imbs Station Road

I-39

Even by Illinois standards, I still can't believe they haven't started on the I-39/US 20 improvements in Rockford yet. Given how busy I-39 is as a bypass of Chicagoland, it's a pretty critical piece of infrastructure. They've been talking about it for well over a decade and nothing has come of it.

edwaleni

Sometime ago in this thread we had several posts about the idea of IDOT duplicating ISHTA efforts to use LED's for ramp lighting to save energy and cut costs.

In my recent use of I-72 between Champaign and Decatur and subsequently the use of US-51 from Decatur to Pana, I did notice that that district has started to put LED fixtures to good use.

Hopefully the email to consider it a couple years ago resonated well in IDOT brass or at least with the District leads.

Keep going Illinois! With your roads budgets separated now, every dollar saved here goes to better work in the future.

Rick Powell

Quote from: edwaleni on June 21, 2021, 01:22:17 AM
Sometime ago in this thread we had several posts about the idea of IDOT duplicating ISHTA efforts to use LED's for ramp lighting to save energy and cut costs.

In my recent use of I-72 between Champaign and Decatur and subsequently the use of US-51 from Decatur to Pana, I did notice that that district has started to put LED fixtures to good use.

Hopefully the email to consider it a couple years ago resonated well in IDOT brass or at least with the District leads.

Keep going Illinois! With your roads budgets separated now, every dollar saved here goes to better work in the future.

When I was at IDOT, around 2001 we spec'd LEDs for bridge navigation lights (the red and green clearance marker lights) on one of our projects, hoping to save on bulb changing costs. At the time they were fairly expensive, like $1,000 a unit. 20 years later, IDOT just opened up the IL 178 bridge in Utica (a project I was project manager for), and everything is LED, including the navigation lights, roadway lighting, and some decorative lights along a parallel pedestrian/bike trail.

Today LEDs are becoming the defacto standard elsewhere, including home lighting, and naturally the price came down as they began to be mass produced on today's scale. It was only a matter of time. Hopefully the suggestion was something they had considered, and looked at what ISTHA and the other states were doing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.