I-95/PA Turnpike Golden Spike Meet - September 2018

Started by briantroutman, July 23, 2018, 03:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: akotchi on July 25, 2018, 05:27:14 PM
I have a conflict on September 18, but August 28 would be a go for me.
September 18 being a Tuesday and not in the poll, I assume he meant September 13.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

briantroutman

Since my post yesterday, someone else voted "no"  for 28 August, putting 13 September into the lead, numerically speaking.

But that said:

- H.B. is open to an August date but not a September one
- akotchi has a conflict on 13 September but can make 28 August
- Valerie preferred 13 September but is open to the August date
- 02 Park Ave is open to either date
- others seem to be open to these dates but are unsure of their schedules this far in advance

So at least based on those who put a comment on the thread, 28 August would seem to be safer, though obviously three people did vote "no"  for that day. On this poll (unlike some others, for some reason) I can't see who voted for which options. So if 28 August is a no-go for you, would you mind adding a comment to the thread?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 25, 2018, 03:28:48 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 25, 2018, 02:00:33 PMAn item of significance driving 295 would be seeing the construction at Scudder Falls Bridge, along with taking a look at PA's & NJ's resigning of 95 to 295.
FTFY & the former (the Scudder Falls Bridge construction) was mentioned a few posts back.

Easily (due to proximity) & worth adding on IMHO.

I mentioned NJ's resigning specifically because of it being unusual and different.  PA is so ordinary...and in many cases they literally just slapped a sticker over the existing "Old Exit" sign! lol

hbelkins

Quote from: briantroutman on July 26, 2018, 11:32:56 AM
Since my post yesterday, someone else voted "no"  for 28 August, putting 13 September into the lead, numerically speaking.

But that said:

Most assuredly, do NOT base your decision on what I may or may not be able to do. I'm a long way away and may not even be able to make an August meet.

Set the date whenever it works for the most people who are closer to that area. If I can come, I'll come. If not, I'll look at everyone's pictures.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

briantroutman

^That's fine–I realize that the absence of a "no"  is not the same as even a tentative "yes". I was just noting that we had gotten a few posts in favor of the August date despite the raw vote total favoring the September date.

Well since this morning, another person has voted "no"  for 28 August, so now that date has slipped into mid-pack territory...not a standout. Thursday, 13 September is the lead choice with only two "no"  votes. Trailing right behind that with three negative votes each are the remaining weekdays of that same week 10-14 September (and Saturday the 15th).

As I said earlier (and as Valerie seemed to agree), a Friday meet might be more attractive for anyone wanting to take a long weekend. Anyone else have an opinion on that (which in this case would be 14 September)?

Also, I realized that there was essentially no way to vote if you were OK with all of the dates (which was the case for me), so I added an "I'm open to any of the above dates"  option at the bottom. Again, I realize that it doesn't necessarily mean that you will be there, but at least lets us know that the option is basically open.

akotchi

Quote from: briantroutman on July 26, 2018, 11:32:56 AM

But that said:

- akotchi has a conflict on 13 September but can make 28 August
- Valerie preferred 13 September but is open to the August date
- 02 Park Ave is open to either date
- others seem to be open to these dates but are unsure of their schedules this far in advance

So at least based on those who put a comment on the thread, 28 August would seem to be safer, though obviously three people did vote "no"  for that day. On this poll (unlike some others, for some reason) I can't see who voted for which options. So if 28 August is a no-go for you, would you mind adding a comment to the thread?
I actually misread the September date (focusing on the number rather than day of week).

I can be open to any day listed in the poll, as I just now voted.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 26, 2018, 12:29:32 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on July 25, 2018, 03:28:48 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 25, 2018, 02:00:33 PMAn item of significance driving 295 would be seeing the construction at Scudder Falls Bridge, along with taking a look at PA's & NJ's resigning of 95 to 295.
FTFY & the former (the Scudder Falls Bridge construction) was mentioned a few posts back.

Easily (due to proximity) & worth adding on IMHO.

I mentioned NJ's resigning specifically because of it being unusual and different.  PA is so ordinary...and in many cases they literally just slapped a sticker over the existing "Old Exit" sign! lol
To be fair & believe it or not; those OLD EXIT XX signs along the PA stretch of now-I-295 are actually new ones (I checked).  Additionally, there have been a new distance sign placed along the PA stretch of I-295 (as of three weeks ago) just prior to the US 1 (Trenton/Langhorne) interchange.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

briantroutman

We're now up to 15 responses, and 13 September is still in the lead with only three "no"  votes. If you haven't submitted your no-go dates, please do. And also, if you'd spread the word among other roadgeeks who may be interested and either haven't stumbled onto this thread or aren't on the forum–perhaps people who have attended other PA meets–I'd appreciate it.

If anyone who's not on the forum wants to contact me, they can email me here.

Thanks!

Alps

Quote from: briantroutman on July 27, 2018, 03:26:29 PM
We're now up to 15 responses, and 13 September is still in the lead with only three "no"  votes. If you haven't submitted your no-go dates, please do. And also, if you'd spread the word among other roadgeeks who may be interested and either haven't stumbled onto this thread or aren't on the forum–perhaps people who have attended other PA meets–I'd appreciate it.

If anyone who's not on the forum wants to contact me, they can email me here.

Thanks!
There will also be a rather less formal gathering the following weekend in a general vicinity, so the 13th (or even 14th) may work out quite well in combination.

dgolub

Rosh Hashanah is September 9-11, so it would be great if those dates could be avoided.

briantroutman

^ That occurred to me when I created the poll, and fortunately, the 13th is still in the lead with the fewest votes. So it looks like that won't be a problem anyway.

If this pattern holds for a few more days, I think we can declare 13 September as the winner and start focusing efforts on planning out the details.

Roadsguy

Quote from: briantroutman on July 23, 2018, 03:38:35 PM
Golden Spike Meet

Eh, more like Golden Top-Fourth-of-Spike Meet. And only half the width of the railroad tie is installed. :ded:
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

briantroutman

I've been in touch with my contact at the PTC, and everything's a "go"  for the afternoon of September 13th. I'm not on Facebook (locked out my account...it's a long story), so I set up an event page on Eventbrite. Their tool is free for free events (which of course this road meet is).

I'll need to provide a reasonably accurate head count to the PTC prior to the event, so please register if you plan on attending. And feel free to share with any fellow roadgeeks who may be interested!

Here's the link to the event page: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/i-95-pa-turnpike-golden-spike-meet-september-2018-tickets-48967320574

Alps

Quote from: briantroutman on August 10, 2018, 04:09:24 PM
I've been in touch with my contact at the PTC, and everything's a "go"  for the afternoon of September 13th. I'm not on Facebook (locked out my account...it's a long story), so I set up an event page on Eventbrite. Their tool is free for free events (which of course this road meet is).

I'll need to provide a reasonably accurate head count to the PTC prior to the event, so please register if you plan on attending. And feel free to share with any fellow roadgeeks who may be interested!

Here's the link to the event page: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/i-95-pa-turnpike-golden-spike-meet-september-2018-tickets-48967320574
That'll be tough. I need to be able to make up enough time at work to take the afternoon, and then there's the 75 minute trip down. I'll try but can't commit.

74/171FAN

I'm definitely out.  I have meetings that day that I really should be at.  I am also still saving time off to use down the road, and I will most likely do the I-95/I-276 interchange as part of a bigger clinching trip involving finishing US 1 and US 13 in PA.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

02 Park Ave

I just registered and have received my ticket.  I am looking forward to this meet.  Thank you for organizing it. See you on 13th September.
C-o-H

briantroutman

Quote from: Alps on August 11, 2018, 01:42:50 AM
That'll be tough. I need to be able to make up enough time at work to take the afternoon, and then there's the 75 minute trip down. I'll try but can't commit.

I definitely understand, although I do hope it works out so that you can make it. We have yet to finalize the exact schedule and should have enough wiggle room to accommodate anyone who might be coming late. So if, say, lunch is at noon and then we meet at the PTC office at 1, the "main event"  (the interchange tour) might not start until 2 or 2:30. Even if you can't make it there for lunch and have to miss out on some of the Q&A session, you might still make it in time for the interchange tour and dinner.

And that goes for everyone–you'll probably be able to join the event in-progress up until 2, 2:30 or possibly later. Just let me know if you're interested but would have to arrive late, and I'll work to get the interchange tour pushed back as needed.

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 11, 2018, 08:35:02 AM
I'm definitely out.  I have meetings that day that I really should be at.  I am also still saving time off to use down the road, and I will most likely do the I-95/I-276 interchange as part of a bigger clinching trip involving finishing US 1 and US 13 in PA.

I'm sorry to hear that! But certainly if your circumstances change and you can attend, let me know. I don't think I'll need to have a firm attendee list until a few days prior to the event.

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on August 11, 2018, 10:31:50 AM
I just registered and have received my ticket.  I am looking forward to this meet.  Thank you for organizing it. See you on 13th September.

Terrific–I'll look forward to having you there!

PHLBOS

Quote from: briantroutman on August 10, 2018, 04:09:24 PMI've been in touch with my contact at the PTC, and everything's a "go"  for the afternoon of September 13th.
Unfortunately & as previously stated, as much as I would love to attend this (especially since this project isn't too far from where I live); I can not burn another vacation day at work to do such.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

briantroutman

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 13, 2018, 02:09:29 PM
Unfortunately & as previously stated, as much as I would love to attend this (especially since this project isn't too far from where I live); I can not burn another vacation day at work to do such.

I'm sorry you won't be able to make it! Perhaps as we're firming up the rest of the schedule, it might be possible to nudge the post-tour dinner back just enough so that you and any other local people who can't get off work for the tour could at least have the option of joining the group afterward.

theroadwayone

I wish I could go, but I'm tight for money; gotta go to school, pay for insurance, and have no guarantee of work anytime soon. Hope you have fun, though!

jpi

And again, wish I could go but I am planning on making my own trip out there when I am in the York\ Harrisburg area the last week of September and "re-clinching" 95 and 295 in that area
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

PHLBOS

Quote from: briantroutman on August 13, 2018, 05:45:14 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on August 13, 2018, 02:09:29 PM
I'm sorry you won't be able to make it! Perhaps as we're firming up the rest of the schedule, it might be possible to nudge the post-tour dinner back just enough so that you and any other local people who can't get off work for the tour could at least have the option of joining the group afterward.
Certainly such is a possibility.  My place of work is across from Independence Hall in Philly and my work shift officially/usually ends at 4:30.  Depending on the dinner location; meeting for dinner is doable.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

akotchi

I am in for this date, though I probably cannot make any post-tour dinner afterward.  I have other obligations that Thursday night.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Beltway

I'd like to attend but it is 275 miles and 5.6 hours in free flowing traffic all in the I-95 corridor.  Don't see how to do it without two days in a motel in the area.  And in the middle of the week.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

PHLBOS

Cross-posting from the Interchange topic thread; according to this article, the interchange is slated to be open on Sept. 24.

Quote from: Bloomberg ArticleThe Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, which oversees the I-95 Interchange Project, said the new infrastructure–which includes the creation of flyover ramps, toll plaza facilities, environmental mitigation sites, intersections, six overhead bridges, widened highways and new connections to the New Jersey and Pennsylvania turnpikes–will be open to the public by Sept. 24.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.