News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Fold Your Mirrors In Bridges

Started by seicer, July 31, 2020, 09:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seicer

Have you been on bridges where you've had to fold in your mirrors in order to cross?

I came across this Erie Canal bridge, which required driving through significantly sized mud holes. It's not for a Prius (or a large truck) for sure! The width of this crossing is 7.9 feet (95 inches); my car's width is 73 inches without the mirrors or about 93 inches with the mirrors!

J3ebrules

You are brave; did you read the Bridgehunter Condition Report before or after driving across?? Built in 1913, rehabbed 1955, about to fall into canal without another rehab.

Closest I can think of near me is the Lambertville-New Hope Bridge -and a couple other minor bridges across the Delaware River. That one in particular stands out because I believe it's also a drawbridge, so you're trying to steady your car on little traction across this tiny two-lane bridge without losing a tire to the curb or a mirror to oncoming traffic.
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

Revive 755

Max Rockatansky

I thought about it on the Italian Bar Bridge but I found later the bridge deck is just over 11 feet wide.  I was more concern about keeping my wheels on the steel supports given the wooden deck boards looked pretty ratty. 

kkt

Flint1979

How about a tunnel? Nada Tunnel in Kentucky could be one.

MCRoads

I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MCRoads

Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

more room plz

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

MCRoads

Interstates traveled:

more room plz

kphoger

Quote from: MCRoads on September 04, 2020, 07:38:22 PM
It says that google maps doesn't support the link, so idk.

On your phone?  Is it trying to use the Google Maps app instead of the web?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

In_Correct

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

webny99

Quote from: MCRoads on September 04, 2020, 07:38:22 PM
It says that google maps doesn't support the link, so idk.

Google Maps doesn't support this road, that's for sure.

(oh shoot... it has street view... so my joke isn't as cool as I thought it was, but I'm going to post it anyway)

seicer

Works for me but may not work for mobile web browsers. If you can't see it, it's an truck mounted RV going through Nada Tunnel in Kentucky with an arm outreached from the passenger window bearing the peace symbol!

ThatRandomOshawott

The old Eggner's Ferry Bridge and the old Henry Lawrence Memorial Bridge over Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley, respectively, were narrow enough where two tractor-trailers passing each other could end up losing mirrors.

ethanhopkin14

I have been on some tight bridges, but never as tight as to slap my mirror.  I just love this title and thread. 

bwana39

I can think of a couple. The old Index Bridge north of Texarkana on US71.  While I never traveled on it with two-way traffic, the US-80 Vicksburg bridge was pretty tight/
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

cjk374

Quote from: bwana39 on September 25, 2020, 12:52:27 PM
I can think of a couple. The old Index Bridge north of Texarkana on US71.  While I never traveled on it with two-way traffic, the US-80 Vicksburg bridge was pretty tight/

I got to drive the US 80 bridge a few times while I was in college before it was closed. It was tight in my '83 Grand Prix when passing another car, but I never had the opportunity to catch a train on the bridge. That would have been very interesting.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.