News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

SR-520 Portage Bay Bridge & Montlake Lid Concepts

Started by KEK Inc., September 16, 2014, 03:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEK Inc.

WSDOT released new pictures of the I-5 to Evergreen Point Bridge concept pictures on their Flickr after they closed the road last weekend for final lane striping and landscaping. 

Box Girder:

Cable-Stay:

Bill Dawson Trail under Montlake:

On top of Montlake Lid:

Take the road less traveled.

nexus73

The illustration missed two things.  The rain and the congestion...LOL!  Aside from that humorous aside, how many lanes will the new bridge have?

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Bruce

Quote from: nexus73 on September 16, 2014, 06:19:39 PM
The illustration missed two things.  The rain and the congestion...LOL!  Aside from that humorous aside, how many lanes will the new bridge have?

Must have been for a summer Saturday. The new floating bridge and the new Portage Bay Bridge will both be 6 lanes (4 GP, 2 HOV).

nexus73

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Henry

Interesting drawings, but if I had to choose just one, I'd go with the cable-stay.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

kkt

For such short spans, I'd go with box girders... the cable stayed seem a bit pretentious.

jakeroot

Jesus, they blew half the budget on those diagrams.

/s

Quote from: jake on October 13, 2014, 04:45:15 PM
Jesus, they blew half the budget on those diagrams.

/s

Somehow I can see that being a reality.

Bruce

I guess we should stick the "Rest of the West" news in here as well?

In the time since the last post here, construction has started on the Montlake lid and the new HOV-to-express ramp at the I-5 interchange. The latter has suffered a bit of setback as the concrete for one of the columns is visibly crumbling. Will have to be redone (at the contractor's expense) but won't affect opening day in 2024.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/a-crumbling-highway-520-ramp-support-needs-a-do-over/

compdude787

Wow, someone really screwed up there!

I saw the headline but I had read too many Seattle Times articles on my phone, so I couldn't read it and didn't see how bad it was in the pictures until now.

Do they just need to do some patching there or is it worse?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.