News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

You're reading into it too much.  I think it's just meant for truckers wanting to use Rt. 27 to follow these signs.  They wouldn't need a large green/orange sign for a detour.  If you started on Rt. 27 and saw the first detour signs for truckers, it would probably make more sense.

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 04, 2014, 12:54:36 PM
You're reading into it too much.

I guess that's why they call me a roadgeek!  :sombrero:
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

akotchi

To avoid the confusion above, roadgeek-induced or not, I have usually specified the "TRUCK" banner in black-on-orange as well, for what it is worth.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Zeffy

Clearview Alert - The 1 mile advance sign for US 206 (S Broad St / Arena Dr) on I-195 West in Hamilton has been replaced with a sign in full Clearview (with the US 206 shield retaining both the black background and FHWA fonts). I didn't see any newer signs in the area though, and this was the only one that looked to be replaced, so I'm assuming it was just a one-off installation. Hoping it was.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

In the same general area, on 295 North, the (not so) Scenic View sign with the often ignored truck prohibition warning has been replaced with Clearview letting as well.

J Route Z

Isn't clearview font mostly popular in PA and DE? It must be recent that NJ is adopting it. What is the font called on most signs here?

PHLBOS

I was under the impression that NJDOT has not officially adopted use of the Clearview font. 

The above-example as well as some of the newer BGS' along I-676 in Camden are either one-offs or experimental applications of the font.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alps

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 07, 2014, 07:11:34 PM
I was under the impression that NJDOT has not officially adopted use of the Clearview font. 

The above-example as well as some of the newer BGS' along I-676 in Camden are either one-offs or experimental applications of the font.
NJDOT has not. I don't know where these signs may be coming from.

storm2k

Quote from: Alps on December 07, 2014, 08:56:22 PM

Is this one of those cases of a contractor not paying attention to standards and just producing signs in CV because that's what they do elsewhere?

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on December 09, 2014, 04:31:27 PM
Quote from: Alps on December 07, 2014, 08:56:22 PM

Is this one of those cases of a contractor not paying attention to standards and just producing signs in CV because that's what they do elsewhere?
I find it surprising, since Clearview costs so much money, but maybe once a company has it, they decide to use it? It could be the engineer, the contractor, or the signing company - and ultimately rests with the DOT accepting a sign that should be rejected (though it may not be enough of an issue to warrant rejection). Engineer's fault = plans show Clearview. Contractor's fault = plans show FHWA, signing company was told Clearview. Signing company's fault = told FHWA, put Clearview anyway.

cpzilliacus

NJ.COM: United Airlines asks FAA to investigate Port Authority spending on Pulaski Skyway

QuoteNEWARK – United Airlines is asking federal regulators to investigate what it says is the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey's use of "excessive" departure fees at Newark Liberty International Airport to pay for an overhaul the Pulaski Skyway and other non-aviation projects.

QuoteIn a complaint filed Wednesday with the Federal Aviation Administration in Washington, D.C., the airline asserts that fees charged by the Port Authority at Newark are the highest in the nation, 75 percent higher than at John F. Kennedy International, also a Port Authority airport.
The airline says this amounts to discrimination against United, which accounts for more than two thirds of Newark's flights.

QuoteUnited further asserts that the Port Authority is violating federal law requiring that fees to be fair and reasonable and be used for airport-related costs, and the airline is asking the FAA to conduct an audit of the bi-state agency's airport fee structure and related finances.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 13, 2014, 12:06:45 AM
NJ.COM: United Airlines asks FAA to investigate Port Authority spending on Pulaski Skyway

QuoteNEWARK – United Airlines is asking federal regulators to investigate what it says is the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey's use of "excessive" departure fees at Newark Liberty International Airport to pay for an overhaul the Pulaski Skyway and other non-aviation projects.

QuoteIn a complaint filed Wednesday with the Federal Aviation Administration in Washington, D.C., the airline asserts that fees charged by the Port Authority at Newark are the highest in the nation, 75 percent higher than at John F. Kennedy International, also a Port Authority airport.
The airline says this amounts to discrimination against United, which accounts for more than two thirds of Newark's flights.

QuoteUnited further asserts that the Port Authority is violating federal law requiring that fees to be fair and reasonable and be used for airport-related costs, and the airline is asking the FAA to conduct an audit of the bi-state agency's airport fee structure and related finances.
Can motorists at the Hudson River crossings join?

storm2k

NJ.com has an article about vintage supermarkets today, and their pictures included this gem:

What color would the Rt 10 shield have been?

Zeffy

I'm guessing white on green, but not 100% sure.

Alps

Quote from: Zeffy on December 13, 2014, 09:17:33 AM
I'm guessing white on green, but not 100% sure.
I am 100% sure, and now I have to see how that intersection was configured in the 1950s because it's just a regular 4-way now. Also, a Shop Rite there? Huh. It was a kitchen store since the late 50s/early 60s.

EDIT: No, it appears that was always 4-way. The cars in the photo would be angled parking along Route 10 EB. So what's that one-way sign all about??

NE2

There's probably a place name inside the arrow.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Zeffy

So I haven't seen any work on the Hillsborough Bypass in about a month now. There's still construction signs up, and it looks like nothing is remotely close to done. (The signs and such are located right before Mountain View) Did it get stalled or something..? Or maybe NJDOT realized how much of a waste this is in it's current form?

jeffandnicole

The 5 year pilot program for the Red Light Cameras ended yesterday (12/16/14).  As of midnight, cameras are no longer allowed to capture pictures of violations.  Violations committed prior to midnight must be mailed to the registered owners of vehicles within 90 days.

While a few politicians would like to see the program continue and have drafted bills to do so, bills have also been drafted by other pols to permanently close the program.  Other bills have been drafted to add speed cameras, which are currently prohibited by law.

NJDOT now has 12 months to publish a report showing the effectiveness or lack thereof of the cameras.  Previous reports (reports were required each year) have been criticized, with some stating the private camera operators have asked NJDOT to cherry-pick accident information for the reports.  For the most part, NJDOT has appeared to remain relatively neutral on the subject. 

Zeffy

Apparently, very long "cattle chutes" are a horrible idea after all, at least according to NJDOT:

(NJ.com) Route 80 construction: DOT admits mistakes after huge spike in crashes

QuoteIn New Jersey, traffic is a grudging companion to many motorists.

But, this past summer, the Route 80 construction zone in Morris County was more than an annoyance. It was an environment where crashes nearly tripled, according to data obtained by NJ Advance Media. In July alone, in the construction area of this major national east-west highway there were more than 110 crashes, which averages out to about three a day. Before construction, the area averaged about one crash a day, the data shows.

Part of the cause for such a high crash rate are barriers that separated some of the fast-moving highway traffic into a single lane, creating what traffic experts call a "cattle chute," said state transportation Commissioner Jamie Fox. That chute, Fox said, was the longest ever used for a New Jersey road project.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on December 22, 2014, 09:41:15 AM
Apparently, very long "cattle chutes" are a horrible idea after all, at least according to NJDOT:

(NJ.com) Route 80 construction: DOT admits mistakes after huge spike in crashes

QuoteIn New Jersey, traffic is a grudging companion to many motorists.

But, this past summer, the Route 80 construction zone in Morris County was more than an annoyance. It was an environment where crashes nearly tripled, according to data obtained by NJ Advance Media. In July alone, in the construction area of this major national east-west highway there were more than 110 crashes, which averages out to about three a day. Before construction, the area averaged about one crash a day, the data shows.

Part of the cause for such a high crash rate are barriers that separated some of the fast-moving highway traffic into a single lane, creating what traffic experts call a "cattle chute," said state transportation Commissioner Jamie Fox. That chute, Fox said, was the longest ever used for a New Jersey road project.

Nothing in the article ever explained HOW the accidents were occurring?  Were there merging conditions in the cattleshute?  Were drivers tailgating and running into each other?  Were drivers merging at the last minute before the cattleshute?

At 2.7 miles, it may have been NJ's longest, but overall there's been longer ones in other states.

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 22, 2014, 11:13:30 AM
Were drivers tailgating and running into each other?  Were drivers merging at the last minute before the cattleshute?

At 2.7 miles, it may have been NJ's longest, but overall there's been longer ones in other states.

Well, given the state we are talking about, and the neighboring ones surrounding us...

Tailgating? - Very likely
Merging at the last minute? - Very likely

02 Park Ave

When should one merge?  At the first sign stating that there is a merging at a certain distance ahead?  Or, at the location where the lane ends and one must merge?  What is most efficient?
C-o-H

Zeffy

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on December 22, 2014, 01:09:01 PM
When should one merge?  At the first sign stating that there is a merging at a certain distance ahead?  Or, at the location where the lane ends and one must merge?  What is most efficient?

After I pass the first advance warning sign for the merge ahead I start to plan to merge. Once I have enough space, I will do it so I don't have to worry about it later. I've seen many people force their way in as the lane is already gone.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on December 22, 2014, 01:09:01 PM
When should one merge?

When they're knocking the barrels over and scrapping along the jersey barrier. 

Everyone has their theories about when it's best to merge.  Personally, I do it when the lane ends.  After all, at a stop ahead sign, I don't stop at that sign...I stop at the actual stop sign.

With a cattleshute setup, people tend to enter/leave the cattleshuted lane at the very last possible moment, especially those not familiar with the setup and after they've ignored the many warning signs about the lane split.

I generally try to avoid a single lane cattleshute because if there is an accident/blockage, there's no way around it until the accident is cleared or moved to an emergency pulloff area. 

My thinking of what the primary cause of the accidents was is pretty much what Zeffy alluded to: People travelling way too close to each other at way too high of a speed, and simply didn't stop in time when the vehicle in front of them slowed down.

mtantillo

So why exactly did they need cattle chutes for a "repaving" project? Something seems fishy about that to me.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.