News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Long Island Speed Limits

Started by Mike2357, August 14, 2021, 12:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike2357

NY State's maximum speed limit is 65 mph, yet this was never implemented in long island after the national 55 mph limit was repealed in 1987. The Long Island Expressway, Sunrise Highway, and a couple of the North-South Parkways could easily have a 65+ mph speed limit. Here's how they should increase:

Long Island Expressway: 65 mph East of Exit 40W
                                             75 mph in suffolk county if Senate Bill 3268 ever passes.

Sunrise Highway: 65 mph the entire length of the Expressway section; 75 mph east of the Sagikos PKWY if SB-3268 ever passes.

Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway: 65 mph Entire Length

Sagikos Parkway/Robert Moses Causeway: 65 mph

Southern State Parkway: Most Likely would leave as is, maybe it could handle 65-75 toward the very eastern end past Exit 40, but you can barely go 60 around most curves. Same with the northern state, a 2 lane windy road that doesn't straighten out until around Exit 40 so the higher speed limit would only be helpful for maybe 10 miles or so.

I'm surprised that 2 lane narrow, unpaved roads upstate like I-84 can be 65 mph, but a 4 lane, perfectly straight, smooth interstate like 495 can't be 65? Makes no sense.
Interstate Highways are what define the United States of America

shadyjay

For awhile, you had to pay to go over 55 MPH, at least downstate.  I-84 is definitely paved, however, and especially west of the Thruway is pretty straight.

And what is this Senate Bill 3268 you speak of?  I did a quick search and found something completely not-road related:
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2021/s3268

sprjus4

Quote from: shadyjay on August 14, 2021, 04:39:38 PM
And what is this Senate Bill 3268 you speak of?  I did a quick search and found something completely not-road related:
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2021/s3268
From the 2015-2016 session, would authorize NYSDOT to post speed limits up to 75 mph on interstate highways.

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2015/s3268

vdeane

That's an odd place to start 65 on the LIE, given the proximity of exits 40 and 41 while 39 and 40 are four miles apart.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

chrisdiaz

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 14, 2021, 12:25:08 PM

Honestly the Sagtikos has so much traffic I think it would just be best to leave it at 55, especially with the hill over the rail road tracks by the Pine Aire Dr exit. Not to mention the parkway system's infamous short exit and entrance ramps as well.

Mike2357

Quote from: vdeane on August 14, 2021, 11:51:53 PM
That's an odd place to start 65 on the LIE, given the proximity of exits 40 and 41 while 39 and 40 are four miles apart.

That's when it becomes the straightest, although I wouldn't mind if it became 65 after 39 or even 37 for that matter.

D-Dey65

Quote from: chrisdiaz on August 15, 2021, 03:01:56 AM

Honestly the Sagtikos has so much traffic I think it would just be best to leave it at 55, especially with the hill over the rail road tracks by the Pine Aire Dr exit. Not to mention the parkway system's infamous short exit and entrance ramps as well.
I agree, in spite of the surprising distance between other interchanges and Pine Aire Drive. Robert Moses Causeway on the other hand I'd be willing to consider for a speed limit raise.

I still want to see Maryland/DC/Virginia style supplemental LIRR station signs approaching the Pine Aire Drive exit though.

Rothman

Why is it when we get one forum spammer under control another one pops up...

We need a Mike all-in-one thread dropped into Fictional.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cpzilliacus

Southern State Parkway: Most Likely would leave as is, maybe it could handle 65-75 toward the very eastern end past Exit 40, but you can barely go 60 around most curves. Same with the northern state, a 2 lane windy road that doesn't straighten out until around Exit 40 so the higher speed limit would only be helpful for maybe 10 miles or so.

I disagree (and I do not drive the state parkways all that often on Long Island, as I do not live there). 

I do drive the federal parkways around Washington, D.C. quite frequently, and in many ways they are similar to the parkways of Long Island (though the bridges over the DC-area parkways are never as low as the ones on Long Island and in New York City and are usually high enough for double-deck Megabus units to pass under them with no problem).  But the design of the parkways is not that different, especially in the interchanges - and in some places they tend to have plenty of trees on the median.  People drive these roads as if they were freeways  at speeds well above the usual 55 MPH posted limit, and the result is a lot of fatal and injury crashes - either into a tree or because of loss of control on an exit ramp.

I'm surprised that 2 lane narrow, unpaved roads upstate like I-84 can be 65 mph, but a 4 lane, perfectly straight, smooth interstate like 495 can't be 65? Makes no sense.

I am not aware of any part of I-84 that is not paved and is not at least four lanes divided.  Please elaborate.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

sprjus4

^ I believe he's referring to "two lanes"  as one carriageway, so a total of 4 lanes.

Mike2357

I-84 is very terrainey and some spots between I-87 and I-684 are bumpy as can be.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 15, 2021, 07:02:03 PM
^ I believe he's referring to "two lanes"  as one carriageway, so a total of 4 lanes.

Reading what was written, my assumption was Super-2, and I am not aware of any that are left on Interstates save for I-93 in New Hampshire.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 15, 2021, 07:45:10 PM
I-84 is very terrainey and some spots between I-87 and I-684 are bumpy as can be.

I have driven part of it recently (I-87 to U.S. 9  near Fishkill) and the only part that seemed especially bumpy was crossing the Hudson River on the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge, which is currently being fixed-up.  Certainly does not compare to the worst of what I have experienced on freeways in (for example) Pennsylvania.

Mike2357

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 15, 2021, 08:32:44 PM

I have driven part of it recently (I-87 to U.S. 9  near Fishkill) and the only part that seemed especially bumpy was crossing the Hudson River on the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge, which is currently being fixed-up.  Certainly does not compare to the worst of what I have experienced on freeways in (for example) Pennsylvania.

I actually find bridges to be the best designed sections of Interstates because by definition they are virtually perfectly straight, but with all those grade changes simultaneously around curves I'm surprised every 10th car doesn't go flying off the mountain range even at 65.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 16, 2021, 11:33:58 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 15, 2021, 08:32:44 PM

I actually find bridges to be the best designed sections of Interstates because by definition they are virtually perfectly straight, but with all those grade changes simultaneously around curves I'm surprised every 10th car doesn't go flying off the mountain range even at 65.

Highway engineers have a table/chart that tells you what the curve radius needs to be for a specific speed and grade change.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Mike2357

True, but that still doesn't change the fact that the Long Island Expressway is still a better limited access highway overall and should have a higher speed limit than I-84, whatever the I-84 speed limit ends up being.

crispy93

Here's NYSDOT's official answer on why there are no limits higher than 55 on the island any more. I don't really buy it, I wonder what the real reason is:

Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

crispy93

...if Senate Bill 3268 ever passes...

[...]

Even if 75 mph became legal in NY, I doubt it would be posted in many places. If NYSDOT hasn't raised LI roads from 55 to 65, they're not going to jump it from 55 to 75.

I-84 meets interstate highway standards, not sure why you're ragging on I-84. I was on it yesterday east of the Hudson and it's a perfectly boring hilly drive. At least in Nassau, 495 has high traffic volumes and frequent interchanges so that'd be risky.
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

kphoger

Which specific segment of I-84 is unpaved?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

sprjus4

Quote from: crispy93 on August 17, 2021, 02:18:30 PM
Here's NYSDOT's official answer on why there are no limits higher than 55 on the island any more. I don't really buy it, I wonder what the real reason is:
I don't buy it either. At minimum, the eastern more rural portions of I-495 and NY-27 should be able to handle 65 mph.

Population density and traffic volumes should not have an effect on speed limits, IMO. It's one of these "nanny" state situations where they believe any urban area must be capped to 55 mph with no exceptions, even if the roadway can safely handle speeds much higher, and actual speeds are also much higher.

As for "operating speeds"... I find it hard to believe they're not in the 70+ mph range already. So that argument dies.

http://www.nycroads.com/roads/long-island/

The posted speed limit on I-495 in Nassau County was originally 60 mph, and in Suffolk County was 65 mph. They were lowered in 1974 due to the NMSL. So there's full precedent to increase speeds back up to 65 mph, as the roads previously handled those speeds, were engineered to handle those speeds, and already continue to handle those speeds when looking at actual 85% percentile speed data. Seems like a speed trap in my mind keeping at 55 mph for "safety".

Mike2357

Exactly, most people on 495 and Sunrise in Suffolk are doing 80-90 already. I don't agree with setting speed limits based on traffic density unless they are variable electronic signs. Otherwise, on days (or months during the peak of the pandemic last year) the roads are almost entirely empty, and it would be very safe to drive even triple digits at some points, but you would still be punished for it. I have driven in eastern Long Island in rush hour on weekdays, and in the middle of a sunny Saturday, traffic speed still average well over 70 mph. They act like Sunrise Highway out where it is 2 lanes isn't as "rural" as the thruway in Orange County, it looks like Kansas or Kentucky out there. And if 65 mph is soon risky on an 8 lane divided expressway, how on earth can routes like 110, 231, 347, or 454 be 55 mph?

sprjus4

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8763379,-72.553173,3a,37.5y,275.9h,84.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sflL_jxDnOvUnQC6Z_WRVgQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1

I genuinely have a hard time believing this is "dangerous" at 70 mph. But apparently some "engineers" sure have no problem making you want to believe this  :bigass:

Mike2357

Germany, has 3x fewer car accidents per capita as the United States, while having no speed limits on more than half of all its Autobahns. NY acts like driving over 60 mph is some death defying stunt or dangerous dare LOL. Well to be fair, I-95 in CT doesn't go up to 65 mph until east of New Haven anyway . Even Sunrise HWY all you would have to do is make it gradually drop on the western side as you approach the traffic signals, still would leave a total of 90 miles of highway (figure 45 each side) with a higher speed limit. What's even more idiotic is how the state legislature gets to determine these speeds and not the NYSDOT, and you can guess what type of cars those 70 yo legislators have...

mariethefoxy

The truth is despite the speed limit, most people are doing 70 anyway and even so the cops dont really patrol much at least on the northern parkway segment I drive on to work

Mike2357

Quote from: mariethefoxy on August 17, 2021, 05:09:40 PM
The truth is despite the speed limit, most people are doing 70 anyway and even so the cops dont really patrol much at least on the northern parkway segment I drive on to work

Hmm, my dad drives a segment of the northern state on his commute and he says there usually is a state trooper hiding in the bushes where it is 4 lanes and straight. Most cops I see are hiding behind overpasses on 495. Used to see 10-12 cops everytime I drive on the L.I.E, but now barely see any. God Bless the Waze App

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.