News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Do you think that 12 ft 4 bridge needs to be turned into a RXR Crossing

Started by Lukeisroads, June 10, 2022, 09:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think?

Yes
No

ErmineNotyours

There's already a sacrificial beam a foot or two before the bridge which sustains most of the impact from trucks.

ZLoth

See http://11foot8.com/11foot8-faq/ . As I understand it, the North Carolina Railroad Company owns and maintains the trestle, and three years ago, they already raised the bridge from 11'8" to 12'4". The city of Durham owns and maintains Gregson road, and they are unable to lower the road any further due to storm drainage. See this video...

The city has already put in enhanced signaling as well, so as far as I can determine, they are doing the best they can. There is an alternative route that is less than a mile away. So, what improvements can you really make at this point, and more importantly, who is going to pay for it?

I think part of the issue is that consumer-level GPS units are intentionally not programmed to get the map data about any restricted clearance roads. Some people take the attitude that "why should they pay for something they can get for free" and skimp out on the enhanced GPS which can receive the map data that includes height restrictions. As a result, we have canopener bridges.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

hbelkins

Quote from: ZLoth on June 14, 2022, 06:49:14 AM
See http://11foot8.com/11foot8-faq/ . As I understand it, the North Carolina Railroad Company owns and maintains the trestle, and three years ago, they already raised the bridge from 11'8" to 12'4". The city of Durham owns and maintains Gregson road, and they are unable to lower the road any further due to storm drainage. See this video...

Railroad underpasses are notoriously bad for flooding everywhere. That's mild compared to some.

Quote from: MCRoads on June 13, 2022, 06:22:32 PM
Just put some plastic or metal noise makers about 2 blocks ahead of the bridge. Any delivery driver knows that they need not worry, but it would probably be an odd enough noise to make drivers of rental trucks rethink going that way. Worst damage they could do to the truck might be a dent.

"If you hit this sign, you will hit that bridge."

There have been a few examples of this type of overhead signage over the years. Seems like I remember one approaching an I-24 underpass west of Chattanooga after the route re-enters Tennessee.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MCRoads

Quote from: hbelkins on June 14, 2022, 11:11:21 AM
Quote from: ZLoth on June 14, 2022, 06:49:14 AM

Railroad underpasses are notoriously bad for flooding everywhere. That's mild compared to some.

Just put some plastic or metal noise makers about 2 blocks ahead of the bridge. Any delivery driver knows that they need not worry, but it would probably be an odd enough noise to make drivers of rental trucks rethink going that way. Worst damage they could do to the truck might be a dent.

There have been a few examples of this type of overhead signage over the years. Seems like I remember one approaching an I-24 underpass west of Chattanooga after the route re-enters Tennessee.

Yes! A cheap, low tech solution that would probably solve the problem. Sadly, they probably won't install one, as they have spent so much money on the electronic system. And god forbid trying another solution that is cheaper and probably more effective now that they spent all that money!

I couldn't find the I-24 example, but this is an example in Columbus, TX.
https://goo.gl/maps/uuREjAQc1acEhpGs6

I thought there was one in NYC, but can't find it. Was definitely in New England though, I'll keep looking.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 11, 2022, 01:10:47 AM
Quote from: cockroachking on June 11, 2022, 01:07:16 AM
Quote from: Duke87 on June 11, 2022, 12:44:56 AM
So you'd rather vehicles get hit by trains instead, since a level crossing would enable that. Well, if it were even a practical option, which it isn't.

Anyway if you don't know how to read overhead clearance signs you either shouldn't be driving a truck or deserve to get the top of it ripped off.
This summarizes what I was about to post perfectly, especially the third sentence.

I feel like it is worth noting that the OP's post history doesn't exactly convey a solid understanding of how most basic road and highway concepts work.  In particular the quip about CA 180 and CA 168 being flammable caught my eye.

I read the original post and assumed it was a troll post?  No?

ZLoth

Quote from: MCRoads on June 14, 2022, 11:58:49 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on June 14, 2022, 11:11:21 AM

Yes! A cheap, low tech solution that would probably solve the problem. Sadly, they probably won't install one, as they have spent so much money on the electronic system. And god forbid trying another solution that is cheaper and probably more effective now that they spent all that money!

From http://11foot8.com/11foot8-faq/:

Could they install a low-clearance bar?

A low clearance bar is a bar suspended by chains ahead of the bridge. Overheight vehicles hit that bar first and the noise alerts the driver to to the problem. I understand that this approach has been successful in other places, but it's not practical here. There are many overheight trucks that have to be able to drive right up to the bridge and turn onto Peabody St. in order to deliver supplies to several restaurants. Making Peabody St inaccessible from Gregson St would make the restaurant owners and the delivery drivers very unhappy.

Per this video, the electronic sign was installed and activated May, 2016. See this video:

Prior to that, it was a pair of flashing lights and a sign. It should be noted that there is a steel I-Beam prior to the actual bridge in order to reduce/prevent damage, which is as low-tech as you can get.

I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

hbelkins

In that second video, there's a stop sign on the side street. Why? Isn't that intersection controlled by signals?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

doorknob60

Quote from: hbelkins on June 15, 2022, 01:44:31 PM
In that second video, there's a stop sign on the side street. Why? Isn't that intersection controlled by signals?

Looks like that video was before the signal was activated. You can see the signals but they're covered up.

ZLoth

Quote from: hbelkins on June 15, 2022, 01:44:31 PMIn that second video, there's a stop sign on the side street. Why? Isn't that intersection controlled by signals?

That was one of the last crash videos prior to the signals being activated.

mrsman

Here is something that they have put on the transition from the Verrazano Bridge to the Belt Parkway:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6108583,-74.0325175,3a,75y,208.38h,95.61t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sislTUrC8m7U1UuawRyrOlg!2e0!5s20191101T000000!7i16384!8i8192

So there is a last minute warning when you hit the chains and then you are directed to a special exit ramp.  (It's in the area of Fort Hamilton, but not quite sure where the ramp goes.  There is probably an officer wating to give you a ticket, but at least you don't strike a low overpass.

lepidopteran

Just put some plastic or metal noise makers about 2 blocks ahead of the bridge.
Then there's this.  A similar sign has dangling ropes, akin to a telltale used on railroads warning of tunnels.

1995hoo

Quote from: mrsman on June 20, 2022, 10:50:50 AM
Here is something that they have put on the transition from the Verrazano Bridge to the Belt Parkway:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6108583,-74.0325175,3a,75y,208.38h,95.61t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sislTUrC8m7U1UuawRyrOlg!2e0!5s20191101T000000!7i16384!8i8192

So there is a last minute warning when you hit the chains and then you are directed to a special exit ramp.  (It's in the area of Fort Hamilton, but not quite sure where the ramp goes.  There is probably an officer wating to give you a ticket, but at least you don't strike a low overpass.

It takes you to the corner of 101 Street and Fort Hamilton Parkway. Commercial traffic isn't supposed to be on that ramp anyway because the Belt Parkway bears the customary New York restriction.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

Anyway if you don't know how to read overhead clearance signs you either shouldn't be driving a truck or deserve to get the top of it ripped off.

While I do agree with this, the level of inconvenience caused to everyone else (truck's owner, overpass owner, other drivers, nearby residents) does mean that even the most deserving of truckers are not the only one's paying for the error.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: jakeroot on June 22, 2022, 09:13:01 PM
While I do agree with this, the level of inconvenience caused to everyone else (truck's owner, overpass owner, other drivers, nearby residents) does mean that even the most deserving of truckers are not the only one's paying for the error.

Nor does it ensure that it gets the trucker's attention.  I came through a similar low clearance railroad underpass on Old Number 10 between Durham and Hillsborough, North Carolina and encountered a trucker trying (unsuccessfully) to pick up the protective I-beam that he just knocked off.  I rolled down the window and he asked for help, and he replied that he "needed to get this out of the way so he could go under the bridge".  I guesstimated that the beam weighed two or three tons, and asked him to report the incident.  He also said "it was too far to back up to the crossroads" (referring to the intersection of Old Number 10 and University Station Road, which is about 1/4-mile west).  When I came back through about 20 minutes later, he was backing up the road with a State Trooper assisting with traffic control, so I would assume that he got his due.  And yes, the I-beam was still laying half-way across the road and nobody had yet requested a tow-truck (or wincher) to get it out the way. 

After they straightened Old Number 10 and lowered the road surface beneath the underpass, truckers now tend to speed through this straight section (speed limit 45 MPH).  The clearance is now 12-foot-6.  I've witnessed at least five more incidents where truckers have smacked that protective I-beam really hard, including one where I suspected that it smacked up against the trestle itself.  On several of those occasions, the I-beam was lying across both lanes such that I had to U-turn.  I've only seen trucks smack the barrier going eastbound, but I did witness a trucker backing up at the top of the hill in the westbound lane.  In that case, it's not at all obvious that there is enough of a vertical curve to allow a 53-foot trailer to fit under the 12-foot-6 clearance even if the trailer stays within the clearance.  For the record, most 53-foot trailers have a 13-foot-6 overall height.

kphoger

Quote from: Dirt Roads on June 23, 2022, 11:53:25 AM
For the record, most 53-foot trailers have a 13-foot-6 overall height.

If memory serves, the receiving dock at SIU—Edwardsville has its clearance signed at 13'1", and trailers just barely fit.  I suppose it's possible the warning sign is wrong.

I also used to work here, and that dock doesn't look like it's taller than 13'6" to me.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

skluth

I'm puzzled why there are light signals at the intersection north of the viaduct. I think an all-way stop would be more effective at slowing down traffic and help make drivers more aware of the low clearance. Forcing vehicles to stop and look might help reduce these accidents. Maybe add signs just below the stop signs to draw attention to the low clearance. Just an idea; it might just be wishful thinking on my part.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: kphoger on June 23, 2022, 12:00:06 PM
I also used to work here, and that dock doesn't look like it's taller than 13'6" to me.

Might not even be that tall.  Those don't look like the "new standard" 53-foot super dry van trailers.  If we can even call that a "new standard" anymore.  (For comparison, those look like standard bollards, which are supposed to be 52-inches tall).

Dirt Roads

Quote from: skluth on June 23, 2022, 12:18:25 PM
I'm puzzled why there are light signals at the intersection north of the viaduct.

Peabody Street used to be a back-alley to the famous Brightleaf section just west of Downtown Durham.  Now that the Brightleaf section is a thriving complex of restaurants, shops, nightlife and smaller biotech firms, this section of Peabody is getting quite busy.  To the point that traffic at Gregson and Peabody was getting problematic.  Whoodaevahthunkit?

https://www.brightleafdurham.com/about
https://www.brightleafdurham.com/directory

For anyone not paying attention, the one-way pairs of Duke Street and Gregson Street are an important route bypassing Downtown Durham.  But because Vickers Street (same street as Gregson, south of Chapel Hill Street) got mangled by the Durham Freeway (NC-147), it has never been as busy as its northbound pair.  It's quite easy to get from Gregson to the northbound Durham Freeway, but you've only got a short distance to get in the left lane to hit southbound Durham Freeway. 

US 89

Quote from: Dirt Roads on June 23, 2022, 02:13:43 PM
I'm puzzled why there are light signals at the intersection north of the viaduct.

Peabody Street used to be a back-alley to the famous Brightleaf section just west of Downtown Durham.  Now that the Brightleaf section is a thriving complex of restaurants, shops, nightlife and smaller biotech firms, this section of Peabody is getting quite busy.  To the point that traffic at Gregson and Peabody was getting problematic.  Whoodaevahthunkit?

The Gregson-Peabody intersection was a 2-way stop before 2016, and there was a set of yellow beacons on southbound Gregson that flashed when an overheight vehicle approached (link to GSV).

I was under the impression that the traffic lights were put in to improve the bridge hit count, with the light designed to completely change when an overheight vehicle approached. The idea being that if you can get the truck to stop at the light, maybe they'll notice the big OVERHEIGHT MUST TURN flashing sign and turn accordingly.

CardInLex

Louisville's 11' 8"  bridge struck again this weekend. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1785986361575847/permalink/2135063153334831/

Worth noting this is the second of two 11' 8"  bridges the truck would have had to go under.

ZLoth

mrsman

Quote from: US 89 on June 24, 2022, 05:13:01 PM
Quote from: Dirt Roads on June 23, 2022, 02:13:43 PM

The Gregson-Peabody intersection was a 2-way stop before 2016, and there was a set of yellow beacons on southbound Gregson that flashed when an overheight vehicle approached (link to GSV).

I was under the impression that the traffic lights were put in to improve the bridge hit count, with the light designed to completely change when an overheight vehicle approached. The idea being that if you can get the truck to stop at the light, maybe they'll notice the big OVERHEIGHT MUST TURN flashing sign and turn accordingly.

My understanding is that a lot of the hits in Durham are generally students driving moving vans, who may not be familiar with the fact that they are in fact driving a big vehicle.  Add to that the aspect of people blindly following GPS directions without setting the GPS into truck mode.

So is there any hope here?  I think given the above factors, there will always be truck hits here, but perhaps there can be some mitigation by local authorities.  Changing the bridge from 11-8 to 12-4 was helpful, but clearly wasn't enough.

So they need clear signs that indicate that all trucks (including moving vans) are prohibited from using the street.  And a clear detour for southbound traffic needs to be signed.  Maybe that detour is Buchanan.  But it seems like the best detour would be to allow for a few blocks of Duke Street to be two-way to at least allow for taller vehicles to cross the RR tracks without traveling too far.

Troubleshooter

I once saw a sign: "IF YOU HIT THIS SIGN YOU WILL HIT THAT BRIDGE"

Part of the problem is that some do not know the height of their vehicles,

You need to think! Look at the very large problem of changing the level of a road by 12 feet. How many feet away do you have to start changing the grade so the slope is gradual enough that a truck can manage it? Then think of all of the adjacent properties that are affected by raising a street 12 feet. And if the railroad changes its grade, this causes effects for miles...

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Dirt Roads on June 23, 2022, 01:56:00 PM

Quote from: kphoger on June 23, 2022, 12:00:06 PM

Might not even be that tall.  Those don't look like the "new standard" 53-foot super dry van trailers.  If we can even call that a "new standard" anymore.  (For comparison, those look like standard bollards, which are supposed to be 52-inches tall).

The point is, though, that 13'6" is the standard height for a tractor-trailer. Above that threshold, you need an oversize permit. Of course, when a maximum standard is issued for machinery, people try to maximize their output while staying within the standard maximum.  Everyone can plainly see that 12'4" is well below the height of most tractor-trailers, and that's where problems arise, yadda yadda you already know.

I wish truckers could read.

Another dimension to this problem: amateur trucking companies and rental trucks using google maps to navigate.  Google maps gives driving directions for cars.  It is not to be used for trucks, because weight limits and height restrictions ARE NOT factored into Google's driving directions.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Troubleshooter

Here's one that stumped even the driver who hit the bridge and the police.

This bridge is a railroad bridge over a local street in Bloomington IN.
https://goo.gl/maps/Zbdu1iyEz69oaVs67

The problem is that the truck that hit the 9'6" bridge was a single box that was only 8'6" high.

The answer was that the road rises on both sides of the bridge, and that both ends of the truck were on road higher than the the road under the bridge.

The truck used that underpass because the road a block to the west was closed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.