News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Hello from Portland

Started by pdx-wanderer, January 02, 2018, 04:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdx-wanderer

Hello! I was very interested in roads and maps as a little kid (I'd draw roads when I was board in elementary school), but it tapered off as I got older. Then I found this forum and it really rekindled my interest and encouraged me to expand my knowledge around this topic. Can't say how often I may post but it's nice to find some others who share the same unusual interests as me!

I live in Portland, Oregon, now, I'm going to school at Portland State University, and will graduate in about a year. I grew up in a small town south off of I-5, Cottage Grove.

The most of my driving has been in Oregon, Nevada and California, with some Idaho and Washington mixed in too.
What else should I mention?

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Quote from: pdx-wanderer on January 02, 2018, 04:04:03 PM
What else should I mention?

What are you most interested in?
history? bridges? numbering? signs? design? stuff?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

adventurernumber1

A warm welcome from northwest Georgia, right on I-75. I truly hope to visit the Pacific Northwest in the future (Washington, Oregon, all that), but I have not yet as of now. Just today, I did get back from a trip to the San Francisco area, and it was wonderful (and it was my first time visiting there). I love drawing roads and maps as well, and I too, did that a bunch when I was younger, including in school.  :D

I do it a lot now as well. I will see you around on the forum, and I am looking forward to seeing your posts.  :nod:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

nexus73

CG won the state 4-A football title this year.  Did you get to see the Lions win the blue trophy in Hillsboro?  As for the city itself, the City Center Motel is on the edge of town and the Sixth Avenue interchange is a half interchange.  The first I found funny and the second is an old design of which few remain in Oregon.  I think it is the only one on I-5 in Oregon at this time.

Did you ever enjoy the used car lot full of collector cars?  I bought a 1991 Cadillac Brougham from them in 2007 even if that car was not a classic at the time.  It still isn't...LOL!

Always did like CG. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

pdx-wanderer

QuoteCG won the state 4-A football title this year.  Did you get to see the Lions win the blue trophy in Hillsboro?  As for the city itself, the City Center Motel is on the edge of town and the Sixth Avenue interchange is a half interchange.  The first I found funny and the second is an old design of which few remain in Oregon.  I think it is the only one on I-5 in Oregon at this time.

Did you ever enjoy the used car lot full of collector cars?  I bought a 1991 Cadillac Brougham from them in 2007 even if that car was not a classic at the time.  It still isn't...LOL!

Always did like CG. 

Rick

No, but I did see them lose the championship game when I was a senior in 2013, if that is anything! The half interchange really scared me as I approached my drivers test!

Quotehistory? bridges? numbering? signs? design? stuff?
I would say signage/numbering, speed limits, and the history of the interstates. I seem to be in a great minority that likes Clearvirw.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

Hurricane Rex

Welcome from just down the road!
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Ace10

Hi pdx-wanderer and welcome to the forums! I'm out in Hillsboro. There's plenty of us here that share your interests--nothing unusual about it! Glad you found us.

nexus73

Quote from: pdx-wanderer on January 02, 2018, 08:42:54 PM
QuoteCG won the state 4-A football title this year.  Did you get to see the Lions win the blue trophy in Hillsboro?  As for the city itself, the City Center Motel is on the edge of town and the Sixth Avenue interchange is a half interchange.  The first I found funny and the second is an old design of which few remain in Oregon.  I think it is the only one on I-5 in Oregon at this time.

Always did like CG. 

Rick

No, but I did see them lose the championship game when I was a senior in 2013, if that is anything! The half interchange really scared me as I approached my drivers test!

Quotehistory? bridges? numbering? signs? design? stuff?
I would say signage/numbering, speed limits, and the history of the interstates. I seem to be in a great minority that likes Clearvirw.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

That 2013 team beat my North Bend team in the regular season when the Lion placekicker made a 50 yard FG at the end of the game to win it.  Now there's a memory for a lifetime for that player!  They would beat NB by 3 in the playoffs. 

We got ours back in 2016 with our first ever football state championship.  NB has played the game since 1908 and had lost twice in the finals before winning it all, just as CG did.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Alex

Welcome to the board!
We used to have a regular site contributor out of Vancouver, WA that created most of Portland area guides. Beautiful countty up there.

kphoger

I seem to be in a great minority that likes Clearvirw.

Nah, the rest of us have just learned to keep our mouths shut.   :nod:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

freebrickproductions

Welcome from Huntsville, AL!
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on January 03, 2018, 01:24:05 PM
I seem to be in a great minority that likes Clearvirw.

Nah, the rest of us have just learned to keep our mouths shut.   :nod:

I'm part of the great minority too  :nod:
And, welcome to the forum from Upstate NY!

Interstate 69 Fan

Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.