No Exit Number among exit numbers

Started by roadman65, February 19, 2019, 09:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I-44 in Oklahoma has exit numbers along its entire route, but there are a few exceptions and this is one.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/32208436247/in/dateposted-public/
Any other exits that are not signed along a route that generally is signed?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

MA 128 northbound: the cemetery between Exit 25 and 24, and the RIRO immediately before Exit 21.

MA 2 and MA 146 also have unnumbered "exits" where at-grade intersections are, and in MA 2's case, the number 29 is skipped to account for this.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

jp the roadgeek

CT 15 "supposedly" has 16 numbered but unsigned exits between the Exit 68's (I-91/CT 66 and I-691) at the top of the Wilbur Cross Parkway and Exit 85 (CT 99) on the South Hartford section.  You also have the exit to Miller Ave and the CTDOT maintenance garage in Meriden that many residents and workers at locations on Research Parkway use as a de facto Exit 66A.  I just assume number it Exit 63 when the parkway exits are renumbered.

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Bickendan

Westbound 84/30 has one in the Gorge, but it's not a standard exit.

Bruce

WA 16 has a handful of exits with numbers, and a handful without.

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1 on February 19, 2019, 09:30:05 PM
MA 128 northbound: the cemetery between Exit 25 and 24, and the RIRO immediately before Exit 21.
Further north in Gloucester, back when the three intersections w/MA 127 & 127A still had exit numbers somewhat displayed; Blackburn Circle, located between the two MA 127 intersections (Exits 10 & 11) was never assigned a number and the recent northbound exit/entrance to the Gloucester Crossing Shopping Center also was never given/assigned a number... no surprise there.

The only BGS that lists Exits 11, 10 & 9 by number.  Note: should MassDOT ever adopt mile-marker-based interchange numbers; this BGS will come down.

The only hint referencing the Grant Circle (MA 127) rotary intersection as being Exit 11.  Again, this sign will obviously be removed should MassDOT adopt mile-marker-based interchange numbering.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Ian

New Hampshire generally does not give exit numbers to interstate/interstate junctions. Their rationale is that those junctions are seen more as "splits" in the interstate, rather than exits. The only exception to this rule is I-93's junction with I-393 in Concord. In addition, while not an interstate split, the I-293/NH 101/Everett Turnpike interchange near Manchester is also unnumbered from all sides.

Across the river in Vermont, I-89 has no exit numbers at its interchange with I-91 in White River Junction. I-91, however, does have them.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

hotdogPi

Quote from: Ian on February 20, 2019, 12:42:32 PM
New Hampshire generally does not give exit numbers to interstate/interstate junctions. Their rationale is that those junctions are seen more as "splits" in the interstate, rather than exits. The only exception to this rule is I-93's junction with I-393 in Concord. In addition, while not an interstate split, the I-293/NH 101/Everett Turnpike interchange near Manchester is also unnumbered from all sides.

Across the river in Vermont, I-89 has no exit numbers at its interchange with I-91 in White River Junction. I-91, however, does have them.

And NH 101 at I-95.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

1995hoo

At the College Park interchange, on the Outer Loop of the Beltway Maryland doesn't assign an exit number to either the I-95 movement exiting the Beltway to go north towards Baltimore or the I-495 Beltway thru movement towards Silver Spring. On the Inner Loop at the same interchange, they do sign the ramp to I-95 north towards Baltimore as Exit 27, but they don't assign an exit number to the thru movement on the Beltway. I think their approach is pretty reasonable if you're going to dual-sign I-95 and I-495 on the eastern half of the Beltway. I don't remember whether Maryland posted an "exit" number for the Beltway thru movement in the days when the numbers were not dual-posted, but I do not think they did, and frankly I think that's the correct approach. Regardless of whether some people might insist you must "exit" I-495 if it becomes I-495, it's not really an "exit" to any normal person when you're staying on the Beltway.

(Compare this to the Springfield Interchange in Virginia, where on the Inner Loop the I-95 movement exiting the Beltway towards Richmond is not assigned an exit number but the I-495 Beltway thru movement is assigned Exit 170. Interestingly, on the Outer Loop Virginia no longer assigns an exit number to the thru movement on the Beltway–for many years they did, and for just as many years most people maintained it was asinine because it's not really an "exit," regardless of what the MUTCD might say. I can assure you nobody who lives right around here views the Beltway thru movement as an "exit" and when we give directions, we tell people to ignore the "exit" sign because you're just driving straight ahead on the same highway.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Ian on February 20, 2019, 12:42:32 PMNew Hampshire generally does not give exit numbers to interstate/interstate junctions.
I've seen examples of such in other states as well; one of which is right in your non-college backyard... the I-95 ramps off I-476 southbound.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

lepidopteran

One "used to" example was near Toledo, OH, at the I-475/US-23 split.  At the directional T-interchange, the ramp going from WB I-475 to NB US-23 had a gore sign reading merely "Exit", while all the other exits IIRC were numbered.  However, a quick look at GSV indicates that the exit is now numbered.  (I don't remember the NB counterpart having a gore sign at all, but now it does -- numbered and all -- pointing in the "stay-on-the-highway" direction.

In Maryland, the divided section of State Route 32 (Patuxent Freeway) was given exit numbers.  But not the interchange with SR-3/I-97.

RobbieL2415

CT 15 has numbered exits from Greenwich to Meriden except for one that serves a ConnDOT maintenance yard.

TheHighwayMan3561

I seem to recall the I-90/94 split in Tomah was unnumbered until the last 10 years, when it became Exit 147 for eastbound 94 and 45 for westbound I-90 exiting itself.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

roadman65

Well I remember when the Palisades Interstate Parkway had no exit number for the A. Wayne Recreation Area before the renumbering project and sign replacement back in 1987.  In addition the US 6 split from both directions of the Parkway had no assigned number either.

The project eliminated the A suffix exit numbers and gave whole numbers the whole length, but added a few more whole numbers as 15 was the highest whole number which now I believe is 19.

Apparently being an exit ramp to no other through road and and in and out to the parking lot of the A Wayne area it did not seem feasible at the time to give it a number.  However, why US 6 Westbound was not given a number. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

formulanone

In similar vein - though not quite what the OP is asking for - there's a few of these along I-95 in Rhode Island:

I guess there were only movements on the other side of traffic.

PHLBOS

Quote from: formulanone on February 22, 2019, 02:14:09 PMthere's a few of these along I-95 in Rhode Island:

Were these due to removed exits, or to prevent confusion due to exit renumbering?
In most instances, such is used when the next interchange in sequence is a partial-movement one (Exit 17 off I-95 in RI is a southbound-only exit and the above-sign is along the northbound lanes). 
MA typically uses a NEXT EXIT XX instead for those situations.  However, MassDOT did erect this sign on the far-right when it eliminated the northbound Exit 17 ramp off I-93 northbound when the Mass Ave. interchange (Exit 18) was reconfigured years ago; the prior-separate Exit 17/18 movements were consolidated into one ramp.

Once RI completes (and/or should MA ever adopt) its mile-marker interchange numbering conversion; signs like NO EXIT XX and NEXT EXIT XX will no longer be needed.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ftballfan

In Michigan:
US-31's two exits on the east side of Holland (non-freeway portion) are unnumbered, while the interchange on the south side of Holland is Exit 47 (which is carried over from I-196). However, US-127's exit with M-57 has an exit number despite being smack dab in the middle of its non-freeway section.

SectorZ

Quote from: formulanone on February 22, 2019, 02:14:09 PM
In similar vein - though not quite what the OP is asking for - there's a few of these along I-95 in Rhode Island:

Instead of using "NEXT EXIT XX", Rhode Island makes it look as if the city of "No" is at that exit. At least it goes extinct with MM based exits.

PHLBOS

Quote from: SectorZ on February 22, 2019, 02:43:44 PM
Quote from: formulanone on February 22, 2019, 02:14:09 PM

Instead of using "NEXT EXIT XX", Rhode Island makes it look as if the city of "No" is at that exit. At least it goes extinct with MM based exits.
Wouldn't the City of No in that case be signed in mixed-cased lettering?  :sombrero:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Big John

^^ Or did they abbreviate New Orleans?  :bigass:

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on February 22, 2019, 03:17:25 PM
Quote from: Big John on February 22, 2019, 03:14:06 PM

Nitric oxide.

Lead, South Dakota
Asbestos, Ontario
Radium, Kansas
Atomic City, Idaho
Nitric Oxide, Rhode Island ??
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Quote from: Big John on February 22, 2019, 03:14:06 PM

There used to be a sign along I-10 with "NO Executive Airport", but it was Katrina'd. Used to be a running joke with my wife and I, especially when I sometimes have to drive 2-3 hours after flying.

txstateends

IIRR, TX didn't number the exits to their Tourist Bureaus/Welcome Centers before the last few years.  Rest Areas still don't get numbered unless the ramp is part of an exit to a cross-road, I think.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.