News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Bird Box Challenge while driving ends how you'd expect

Started by 1995hoo, January 12, 2019, 04:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Evan_Th

A while back, someone did it for a week at my high school and then wrote up a report on how blind people live.  I thought that could be interesting.

Not while driving, though, of course!

kphoger

I've driven with ice so thick on the windshield that I couldn't scrape it off and had to drive across town with my head out the window.  I've driven after dark with 3-D glasses on just for fun.  But I've never pulled my hat down over my eyes to intentionally blind myself while driving.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

21stCenturyRoad

I KNEW some idiot was eventually going to do it. First thing that came to mind when I first heard of this challenge.
The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.

formulanone

[fingers crossed; "Not Florida", he whispered]

[clicks on link]

Amazingly, it wasn't Florida.

1995hoo

Quote from: Evan_Th on January 12, 2019, 05:00:57 PM
A while back, someone did it for a week at my high school and then wrote up a report on how blind people live.  I thought that could be interesting.

That does sound interesting and worthwhile. I'm sure it would give a perspective that's hard for people with ordinary eyesight to imagine. I remember seeing a movie once, don't remember its name but it starred Mira Sorvino, that featured a blind character and it was interesting to hear about how they rely on learning how many steps it is from one point to another.

US71

Quote from: 21stCenturyRoad on January 12, 2019, 10:50:21 PM
I KNEW some idiot was eventually going to do it. First thing that came to mind when I first heard of this challenge.

Like the In My Feelings Dance?

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US71

Quote from: Evan_Th on January 12, 2019, 05:00:57 PM

I briefly dated a blind lady in college. Very smart lady.

hbelkins

Since I don't have Netflix, I have no clue what "Bird Box" is about, so obviously I'm oblivious to the challenge as well.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on January 13, 2019, 04:59:33 PM
Since I don't have Netflix, I have no clue what "Bird Box" is about, so obviously I'm oblivious to the challenge as well.

I don't have Netflix either, but my brother-in-law does and I saw the movie at his house. Suffice it to say blindfolds play a major role and now some idiots have started imitating that.

kphoger

I have Netflix, but I had no clue what "Bird Box" was about either.  So I read the second paragraph of the article linked to in the OP.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on January 14, 2019, 02:58:45 PM
I have Netflix, but I had no clue what "Bird Box" was about either.  So I read the second paragraph of the article linked to in the OP.

Shh, it's too much to expect old people to read the news, much less do a simple Google search.

hbelkins

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 14, 2019, 11:19:41 PM

Shh, it's too much to expect old people to read the news, much less do a simple Google search.

I read plenty of news. I just choose not to concern myself with pop culture when there are a lot more important and pressing things to deal with. "Bird Box" has been all over my Facebook feed, but to me it's no different than "Sons of Anarchy," "Game of Thrones," "Walking Dead" and all those other popular shows I don't watch.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 14, 2019, 11:19:41 PM

Oh, I didn't do a Google search.  I simply clicked on the link in the OP and read what popped up.
Male pronouns, please.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on January 15, 2019, 01:45:11 PM
Oh, I didn't do a Google search.  I simply clicked on the link in the OP and read what popped up.

I know. I wasn't talking about you. ;-)

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

paulthemapguy

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 12, 2019, 04:56:30 PM
This idiot should be disqualified for life from having a driver's license.

And all the idiots that recommended that I watch that stupid-ass movie should be disqualified for life from recommending anything.  I haven't been more outraged at how poorly a movie was conceived in a decade.  Don't watch it.  I'd especially recommend against watching this dogshit if you have a taste for pragmatism and the viability of a movie's plot, which I think you would if you're a member of this forum.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

US71

Tangentially related, Boob YouTube is saying they will ban what they consider to be "dangerous challenges and pranks"

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: US71 on January 16, 2019, 12:12:52 PM
Tangentially related, Boob YouTube is saying they will ban what they consider to be "dangerous challenges and pranks"

And the decline of YouTube continues.

Roadgeekteen

It's scary how much these dumb memes/internet culture is impacting people.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

US71

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 16, 2019, 01:55:33 PM

It's as if people aren't thinking.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: US71 on January 16, 2019, 01:56:18 PM

And that's different than any other time in human history how? Likewise, memes have existed just as long as human culture has. We've appropriated the academic term to refer to pre-packaged cultural ideas easily spread on the Internet, but both the term and the things it refers to existed well before then.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 16, 2019, 02:01:06 PM
Quote from: US71 on January 16, 2019, 01:56:18 PM

And that's different than any other time in human history how? Likewise, memes have existed just as long as human culture has. We've appropriated the academic term to refer to pre-packaged cultural ideas easily spread on the Internet, but both the term and the things it refers to existed well before then.

Nearly everyone 40 years and older have stories they can tell that they themselves will tell you they don't know how they're still alive.

We didn't need the internet.  We easily tried doing dumb things on our own.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.