News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, June 18, 2012, 11:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AHTD

[font=]"This project proposes to widen Highway 71 to six lanes, extending generally from Highway 62/102 to Highway 72 in Bentonville, and constructing auxiliary lanes from Highway 62/102 to Southeast Walton Boulevard." [/font]

The widening project is approximately from Exit 86 (Highway 62/102) to Exit 88 (Central Avenue/Highway 72). The auxiliary lanes is from Exit 85 (Walton/Walnut) to Exit 86 (Highway 62/102). So the full project is generally from Exit 85 to Exit 88, but part of it is widening, and part of it is auxiliary lanes.
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

bjrush

City of Fayetteville hosting an input session on tge Wedington Drive exit

Not sure what this is but it looks, um, interesting

Someone from Burns & McDonald said a diverging diamond is not a good fit here. As with lots of NWAs engineering projects, people see something somewhere else and think Arkansas is feckless if we don't apply the cool new specialized solution to every interchange in the state

I don't know what to do at Wedington but honestly the signals aren't the problem from my experience. It is the number of vehicles at rush hour
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

IMO, it's the whole intersection including 540 and the service roads. This area was overbuilt early on and has been (IMO) a clusterduck for a long time.

MB886

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Rover_0

I'm not going to lie, though...roundabouts work really well on freeway-to-freeway interchanges, but that one above...don't know what to think.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

M86

Quote from: bjrush on March 14, 2014, 09:58:21 PM
City of Fayetteville hosting an input session on tge Wedington Drive exit

Not sure what this is but it looks, um, interesting

Someone from Burns & McDonald said a diverging diamond is not a good fit here. As with lots of NWAs engineering projects, people see something somewhere else and think Arkansas is feckless if we don't apply the cool new specialized solution to every interchange in the state

I don't know what to do at Wedington but honestly the signals aren't the problem from my experience. It is the number of vehicles at rush hour

First question:  Is this design from AHTD or the City of Fayetteville?  I don't understand all of these cities doing interchanges.  It makes no sense.  They can provide valuable feedback and input, but a city should not be designing an interchange on an Interstate.

That roundabout is a bad idea.  I can not imagine that working.  I know it's a heavy southbound to westbound and a heavy eastbound to northbound.

https://www.arkansashighways.com/planning_research/statewide_planning/Studies/1-11-105%20I-540%20Improvement%20Study.pdf

Page 108 is Wedington from the study in 2006.  Is AHTD still going by this study, or just going with the flow now?

And the signals are an issue... More so, the closeness of intersections.  Cul-de-sac Shiloh Drive, on both sides, and reroute access via Salem Road/Steamboat Drive... From Google Imagery, it's possible.  Put in a SPUI.

With the SPUI, do a triple left from eastbound Wedington to northbound I-540... Have the right most lane merge into the center lane along the ramp.

For southbound to westbound, have dual rights.  The dual rights will have free movements while the eastbound to northbound, and the westbound to southbound movements occur.

bjrush

Sorry, it is AHTD. I see how my OP would've been confusing.

QuoteThe Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department is asking for residents' input in designing plans to improve the interchange at Interstate 540 and Wedington Drive in west Fayetteville.

A public meeting is scheduled from 4-7 p.m. Thursday, March 20 in the cafeteria at Asbell Elementary School, 1500 N. Sang Ave.

The interchange is part of the Wedington Corridor Neighborhood Master Plan, which was drafted last year after a weeklong series of meetings designed to help city planners understand how residents want to see future development in the growing area west of I-540.

http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2014/03/14/state-plans-public-meeting-to-discuss-wedington-interchange-improvements/
Woo Pig Sooie

AHTD

The city came to us with this idea last summer and presented it to our design engineers. We modeled it and determined this is not a workable solution, mainly because not enough right-of-way exists in that area to accommodate a roundabout.

M86

Quote from: AHTD on March 16, 2014, 09:25:21 PM
The city came to us with this idea last summer and presented it to our design engineers. We modeled it and determined this is not a workable solution, mainly because not enough right-of-way exists in that area to accommodate a roundabout.

Thank you, AHTD, for discarding that idea.  I was getting worried for a moment.

And multi-lane roundabouts in heavy-traffic areas are toxic!  Just no.

msunat97

Question for AHTD...what's the latest on the Highway 82 construction south of Lake Chicot?  They were still working on the bridge over a creek that feeds the lake.

AHTD

Should be wrapping this up soon!

bjrush

Do you know why there is no access management along that segment in Lake Village? Does every single house need access to a left turn lane?

This would've been a great opportunity to plant some trees in the median and beautify an entrance to Arkansas with some magnolia trees or something. Instead, people are welcomed by a 62' section of asphalt and 99% of the traffic using the TWLTL is Old Man Bob and Old Lady Susie turning into to his/her lakehouse. Missed opportunity for a statement project IMO
Woo Pig Sooie

M86

Quote from: bjrush on March 17, 2014, 08:47:02 PM
Do you know why there is no access management along that segment in Lake Village? Does every single house need access to a left turn lane?

This would've been a great opportunity to plant some trees in the median and beautify an entrance to Arkansas with some magnolia trees or something. Instead, people are welcomed by a 62' section of asphalt and 99% of the traffic using the TWLTL is Old Man Bob and Old Lady Susie turning into to his/her lakehouse. Missed opportunity for a statement project IMO

According to Google Maps Streetview, the imagery is from June 2008 concerning the section you are talking about (At least I think?  I just typed in Lake Village).  The good ol' 5 laner Arkansas Highway...  Hey, at least there are sidewalks!  Roadway lighting, as always, is nowhere to be found.

Why are there no cars on that road? (Going by Streetview)  It's like a barren waste-land of asphalt.  That's just sad...
I think it's more aesthetics than access management issues... And AHTD usually doesn't give a flip about aesthetics.  But I understand what you are saying.  Is there a group of some sort with the Lake Village community?  Do you know if AHTD had a public meeting concerning the improvements through that area?

getemngo

Saw this on Facebook:

AHTD suspends 10 planned construction projects

QuoteThe ten Federal-aid projects that have been pulled from the Department's April bid letting total approximately $60 million and include:

• Chicot County - Highway 165/Rehabilitation of 4.3 miles
  • Franklin County - City Street/Connect Hillbilly Lane to Hwy. 23 (Mulberry)
  • Independence County - Highway 167/Widening 5.0 miles
  • Pulaski County - Highway 70 (Roosevelt Rd.)/Bridge replacement (LR)
  • Pulaski County - City Street (Remount Rd.)/Bridge replacement (NLR)
  • Various - Highways 67, 84, 79, 7, 82/Bridge painting
  • Conway County - HIghways 9 & 9B/Traffic signal upgrade (Morrilton)
  • Craighead County - Highway 226/Cash Bypass Base and Surfacing
  • Lawrence County - Highway 63/Widening 1.5 miles
  • Garland County - County Road 79/Bridge Replacement
~ Sam from Michigan

AHTD

M86

Quote from: getemngo on March 20, 2014, 02:22:19 AM
Saw this on Facebook:

AHTD suspends 10 planned construction projects

QuoteThe ten Federal-aid projects that have been pulled from the Department's April bid letting total approximately $60 million and include:

• Chicot County - Highway 165/Rehabilitation of 4.3 miles
  • Franklin County - City Street/Connect Hillbilly Lane to Hwy. 23 (Mulberry)
  • Independence County - Highway 167/Widening 5.0 miles
  • Pulaski County - Highway 70 (Roosevelt Rd.)/Bridge replacement (LR)
  • Pulaski County - City Street (Remount Rd.)/Bridge replacement (NLR)
  • Various - Highways 67, 84, 79, 7, 82/Bridge painting
  • Conway County - HIghways 9 & 9B/Traffic signal upgrade (Morrilton)
  • Craighead County - Highway 226/Cash Bypass Base and Surfacing
  • Lawrence County - Highway 63/Widening 1.5 miles
  • Garland County - County Road 79/Bridge Replacement

If they are going to suspend any projects, I think they chose the right ones.

The Cash Bypass makes me laugh... I wonder who even put that forward.  And that extension of US 67 as a fully-controlled access highway.  That has to be Arkansas's "Highway to No Where"

Gordon

What is a shame that  do nothing Congress holding up Jobs for economy our better roads. Same for naming I 49 in Arkansas, It can't be that Complicated, More red tape and dragging out something.

AHTD

Here is the conundrum about the Cash bypass....

An improved U.S. 67 will follow existing alignment, most of which is through a less-populated area than the city of Jonesboro. The folks in this northeast Arkansas city have to use State Highway 226 to get to the improved U.S. 67. The problem with that is much of the highway is in a low-lying area and is usually THE FIRST state highway to close when flooding occurs.

The project on the Cash bypass is not just a bypass around the four-way stop with flashing lights, it's also an elevated stretch of road (think bridge) that will carry traffic across the floodplain.

And although Missouri had to back away from a prior commitment to four-laning U.S. 67 to the state line, which has caused us to rethink how we will get to the state line from Walnut Ridge, conversations are still very much alive and happening about completing this stretch of highway. Stay tuned!

bjrush

Comments back from Fayetteville City Council. They think there are too few median breaks on their proposal for the Wedington corridor

Sounds like AHTD has an aggressive access management plan. Good for them!
Woo Pig Sooie

M86

Quote from: bjrush on April 02, 2014, 03:16:27 PM
Comments back from Fayetteville City Council. They think there are too few median breaks on their proposal for the Wedington corridor

*High Five*

Fayetteville is going to retain a non-growth stigma.  Didn't they pass some sort of building height ordinance recently?

They don't care about traffic movement.

And within the next decade or two, Springdale is going to surpass Fayetteville when it comes to population... According to some projections.

We need the Western Bypass... about 5 years ago.  Little Rock does not need any more Interstate/controlled-access highways...  I'm looking at that northern 440 to 430 connection.  Not. Needed.

Focus on the traffic counts and accident counts in the state.  I-540 will blow you away.  It's a death trap.

US71

Quote from: M86 on April 05, 2014, 02:09:53 AM

*High Five*

Fayetteville is going to retain a non-growth stigma.  Didn't they pass some sort of building height ordinance recently?

And within the next decade or two, Springdale is going to surpass Fayetteville when it comes to population... According to some projections.

We need the Western Bypass... about 5 years ago.  Little Rock does not need any more Interstate/controlled-access highways...  I'm looking at that northern 440 to 430 connection.  Not. Needed.

Focus on the traffic counts and accident counts in the state.  I-540 will blow you away.  It's a death trap.

Fayetteville passed a sign ordinance in the 1970's, which is why Cracker Barrel is in Springdale, not Fayetteville: they were denied a waiver for their pole sign.  I don't know of any building restrictions, but I believe most new buildings have to meet certain energy conservation requirements.

They need to be "non-growth" for a while: growth almost outstrips demand. New restaurants move in and build, older ones close and remain vacant or are a constant revolving door. Things need to calm down for a while.

M86

Quote from: US71 on April 05, 2014, 11:21:15 AM
Quote from: M86 on April 05, 2014, 02:09:53 AM

*High Five*

Fayetteville passed a sign ordinance in the 1970's, which is why Cracker Barrel is in Springdale, not Fayetteville: they were denied a waiver for their pole sign.  I don't know of any building restrictions, but I believe most new buildings have to meet certain energy conservation requirements.

They need to be "non-growth" for a while: growth almost outstrips demand. New restaurants move in and build, older ones close and remain vacant or are a constant revolving door. Things need to calm down for a while.

This is what I was thinking of:  http://www.4029tv.com/news/arkansas/fayetteville-leaders-to-vote-on-new-building-height-restrictions/23257682

And I take back what I said about Fayetteville.  While it does have the stagnant feel, I think revitalization is key.  Spruce up old neighborhoods, especially the College Ave/Whatever-Else-It-Is-Called-In-Fayetteville corridor.  Improve core residential areas.

And a side note:  Re-do street names to match up.  71B has a crap-load of street names, Thompson, 8th, Bloomington, College, School, Archibald something or other...  Coordination... Really the key to everything!

bjrush

I agree with what has been posted here about Fayetteville. Except no city is "non growth" in NWA. Fayetteville is just more "pro infill", which is good. I guess you could also call them "anti-sprawl", which is also good. We dont want Fayetteville losing its character and becoming a mini Kansas City or Dallas

For example:
Everything at the mill district
Various kum-n-go projects
Entire redevelopment of Township & College intersection
The Domain
Sterling Frisco
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on April 06, 2014, 09:26:52 AM
I agree with what has been posted here about Fayetteville. Except no city is "non growth" in NWA. Fayetteville is just more "pro infill", which is good. I guess you could also call them "anti-sprawl", which is also good. We dont want Fayetteville losing its character and becoming a mini Kansas City or Dallas

For example:
The Domain
Sterling Frisco

IMO, Fayetteville lost its character years ago. I left 6 years ago because I saw little reason to stay.  Township & College is the perfect example of bulldozing everything in the name of (corporate) money. That's all I'm going to say.

Road Hog

Quote from: bjrush on April 06, 2014, 09:26:52 AM

For example:
The Domain
Sterling Frisco

I haven't been to Fayetteville in years, but on a map it looks severely landlocked with municipalities of varying sizes on all sides. So I don't know if it can sprawl much more.

M86

I went to Springfield, MO today (From Rogers, AR)... I took US 62/AR 37 in Arkansas, to MO 37 and US 60.

I came back the same way, but the way back included a rainstorm. 

I know US 62 is going to be expanded from Gateway to the end of the 5 laner in Avoca... I didn't need highway signage to know when I entered Arkansas.  The pavement markings were my mark.  Faded and almost non-existent.

That drive from the MO border to my home was white-knuckled.

I saw attempts of reflectors on the road... It's like AHTD wanted to install them and then just gave up (I've seen this on US 62/Hudson Road in Rogers, after they did the overlay... There's reflectors on one side of the road for a while, then just nothing).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.