News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

I-73 in VA

Started by 74/171FAN, June 04, 2009, 07:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

Quote from: Strider on July 28, 2016, 04:59:13 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 28, 2016, 04:15:06 PM
Will the connector road be a freeway, an four-lane expressway with at-grade intersections, or be built in some other road configuration entirely?

Good question. I heard they plan on building it as a freeway, but not interstate standards (upgrade it to interstate later), but most definitely not an expressway. I am still waiting for the new information from Henry County Board of Supervisors though

Hell, if the connector is supposed to become part of I-73 eventually, and if it's to be built as a freeway to start with, they might as well go ahead and build it to interstate standards. It would save the time and hassle of having to upgrade it later.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Strider

Quote from: LM117 on July 28, 2016, 06:18:06 PM
Quote from: Strider on July 28, 2016, 04:59:13 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 28, 2016, 04:15:06 PM
Will the connector road be a freeway, an four-lane expressway with at-grade intersections, or be built in some other road configuration entirely?

Good question. I heard they plan on building it as a freeway, but not interstate standards (upgrade it to interstate later), but most definitely not an expressway. I am still waiting for the new information from Henry County Board of Supervisors though

Hell, if the connector is supposed to become part of I-73 eventually, and if it's to be built as a freeway to start with, they might as well go ahead and build it to interstate standards. It would save the time and hassle of having to upgrade it later.

That is exactly what I thought it should be done this way. We will see when I finally hear something (should know something by next Thursday).

LM117

The latest on I-73:

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/news/city-council-asks-state-to-create-transportation-district/article_f4ef8fbb-d478-5681-8133-b4a023bd1c7d.html

QuoteIn making economic progress, Southside and Southwestern Virginia are lagging behind those regions in part due to significant differences in spending amounts for transportation infrastructure, the resolution states.

Amid influence that Hampton Roads and Northern Virginia have on legislators, "in our part of the state, it's become obvious that it's going to be difficult"  to get substantial funding for I-73 from them, said City Manager Leon Towarnicki.

QuoteOfficials hope that if I-73 is ever built, construction starts in Henry County at the North Carolina line.

The interstate already exists in the central part of that state.

Towarnicki said he understands that if Virginia commits to starting construction of I-73 locally, North Carolina will extend its stretch of the highway to the state line.

codyg1985

I am surprised VA is even remotely supportive of I-73.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

LM117

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 25, 2016, 07:41:29 AM

I honestly don't think they are. The only support it has is from Roanoke and the city of Martinsville. Henry County appears to have thrown in the towel. State sen. Bill Stanley seems to be the only guy at the state level pushing for I-73.

Southside/SW VA is just too far low on the totem pole compared to the rest of the state, for better or worse.

Strider

Quote from: LM117 on October 25, 2016, 09:44:24 AM
Quote from: codyg1985 on October 25, 2016, 07:41:29 AM

I honestly don't think they are. The only support it has is from Roanoke and the city of Martinsville. Henry County appears to have thrown in the towel. State sen. Bill Stanley seems to be the only guy at the state level pushing for I-73.

Southside/SW VA is just too far low on the totem pole compared to the rest of the state, for better or worse.

They are, however the CTB wants those who supports the building of I-73 to prove they are "serious" about pursuing I-73, in which is why Henry, Franklin and Roanoke countries are trying to set up some sort of transportation board that is looking to increase the gas tax.

So basically they have to start all over because I believe the money they had that was supposed to be reserved for I-73, was transferred elsewhere.. (somebody correct me if I am wrong).

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Strider on October 25, 2016, 12:56:33 PM
They are, however the CTB wants those who supports the building of I-73 to prove they are "serious" about pursuing I-73, in which is why Henry, Franklin and Roanoke countries are trying to set up some sort of transportation board that is looking to increase the gas tax.

So basically they have to start all over because I believe the money they had that was supposed to be reserved for I-73, was transferred elsewhere.. (somebody correct me if I am wrong).

It's interesting to note that the original transportation district in Northern Virginia, formed in the 1960's, has been the beneficiary of a motor fuel sales tax since the early 1980's (originally 2% on retail sales, now 2.1% on wholesale sales) collected to subsidize transit only. Not highways.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

froggie

Quote from: Striderin which is why Henry, Franklin and Roanoke countries are trying to set up some sort of transportation board that is looking to increase the gas tax.

The only way this would be allowed is if the General Assembly passes legislation that allows them to.

The Ghostbuster

How dire is the situation on existing US 220? Is an Interstate Standard freeway desperately needed at this time, or in the future?

hbelkins

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 25, 2016, 02:45:53 PM
How dire is the situation on existing US 220? Is an Interstate Standard freeway desperately needed at this time, or in the future?

No. (Hi, Strider.  :D )

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on October 25, 2016, 02:57:33 PM

My  impression (from a detached and pretty disinterested perspective) is that at least some of the elected officials in the U.S. 220 Corridor believe that having I-73 will "induce" more traffic, and perhaps "induce" more interest in their area from potential employers.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Strider

At this time, the Interstate freeway is not needed. Despite the fact that they are pushing the interstate highway to be on a new location for most of the areas, I feel they should upgrade US 220 to interstate standards. (build I-73 ON US 220 and add frontage roads and build bypasses around towns it goes through)

The road itself is curvy, hilly and dangerous for traffic, especially for semi trucks. If they are THAT desperate to build I-73, there is clearly something is going on down there. I support the growth of Martinsville and SW VA, which has been lacking these days.

LM117

Quote from: Strider on October 25, 2016, 04:32:44 PMI support the growth of Martinsville and SW VA, which has been lacking these days.

That's an understatement! :-D

LM117

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 25, 2016, 03:31:48 PM

My  impression (from a detached and pretty disinterested perspective) is that at least some of the elected officials in the U.S. 220 Corridor believe that having I-73 will "induce" more traffic, and perhaps "induce" more interest in their area from potential employers.

Correct. That's the same reasoning that local officials in eastern NC used to lobby for (and successfully gain) I-42, I-87 and possibly an I-x87 spur along US-264 between Zebulon and Greenville (pending AASHTO approval in November) with projects along those corridors either under construction or in the planning stages (unlike VA's portion of I-73).

The difference is that those highways have a lot of support at the state level, including the governor. Eastern NC also seems to have a good bit of political clout lately. Southside/SW VA has a lot more hurdles to jump through and I-73 hasn't had nowhere near as much support at the state level. There's also the issue froggie mentioned: That the VA General Assembly has to pass legislation allowing the region to set up their own transportation board. Chances of that are slim, IMO.

Strider

Quote from: LM117 on October 25, 2016, 11:31:48 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 25, 2016, 03:31:48 PM

Correct. That's the same reasoning that local officials in eastern NC used to lobby for (and successfully gain) I-42, I-87 and possibly an I-x87 spur along US-264 between Zebulon and Greenville (pending AASHTO approval in November) with projects along those corridors either under construction or in the planning stages (unlike VA's portion of I-73).

The difference is that those highways have a lot of support at the state level, including the governor. Eastern NC also seems to have a good bit of political clout lately. Southside/SW VA has a lot more hurdles to jump through and I-73 hasn't had nowhere near as much support at the state level. There's also the issue froggie mentioned: That the VA General Assembly has to pass legislation allowing the region to set up their own transportation board. Chances of that are slim, IMO.

and money is an issue as well.

cpzilliacus

I suppose I question the need for those Interstates more than an upgraded U.S. 220 in Virginia south of Roanoke.    That land is Coastal Plain and as such, reasonably  flat, unlike the path that U.S. 220 follows.

It is my impression that the Virginia General Assembly, if asked politely, will approve such districts. 

What is likely more of a challenge is getting them to approve higher motor fuel taxes on gasoline and Diesel fuel dispensed within the bounds of the district.

Of course, such  a district, without the taxing powers granted from Richmond, is  a waste of everyone's time.

LM117

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 26, 2016, 09:02:38 AMI suppose I question the need for those Interstates more than an upgraded U.S. 220 in Virginia south of Roanoke.    That land is Coastal Plain and as such, reasonably  flat, unlike the path that U.S. 220 follows.

For the most part, I agree. However, I think US-70 between I-40 in Garner and Morehead City warrants becoming I-42. US-70 carries more traffic than I-87's routing and US-264 and it also acts as a hurricane evacuation route. US-70 has also had significant safety issues in the past (some still present), especially between Goldsboro and Clayton. I-795's future extension along US-117 from Goldsboro to I-40 near Faison would act as a shortcut for traffic going from Wilmington to the Northeast and vice-versa, along with serving as an additional hurricane evacuation route.

QuoteWhat is likely more of a challenge is getting them to approve higher motor fuel taxes on gasoline and Diesel fuel dispensed within the bounds of the district.

Of course, such  a district, without the taxing powers granted from Richmond, is  a waste of everyone's time.

Agreed. I don't see much hope for I-73 otherwise.

Strider

Quote from: LM117 on October 26, 2016, 09:50:33 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 26, 2016, 09:02:38 AMI suppose I question the need for those Interstates more than an upgraded U.S. 220 in Virginia south of Roanoke.    That land is Coastal Plain and as such, reasonably  flat, unlike the path that U.S. 220 follows.

For the most part, I agree. However, I think US-70 between I-40 in Garner and Morehead City warrants becoming I-42. US-70 carries more traffic than I-87's routing and US-264 and it also acts as a hurricane evacuation route. US-70 has also had significant safety issues in the past (some still present), especially between Goldsboro and Clayton. I-795's future extension along US-117 from Goldsboro to I-40 near Faison would act as a shortcut for traffic going from Wilmington to the Northeast and vice-versa, along with serving as an additional hurricane evacuation route.

QuoteWhat is likely more of a challenge is getting them to approve higher motor fuel taxes on gasoline and Diesel fuel dispensed within the bounds of the district.

Agreed. I don't see much hope for I-73 otherwise.

Despite many of you not having a hope for I-73, I remain hopeful it will be built and eventually it will be whether it is in my lifetime or not.

hbelkins

Quote from: Strider on October 26, 2016, 01:13:51 PM
Despite many of you not having a hope for I-73, I remain hopeful it will be built and eventually it will be whether it is in my lifetime or not.

It won't be needed in my lifetime, or yours, or anyone else's.

I would be absolutely THRILLED if I could somehow pick up existing US 220 and put it down along any number of corridors in eastern Kentucky, West Virginia, southwestern Virginia (oh wait, they already did in spots, they're called US 19, US 23, US 58, US 460 and a few other numbers), east Tennessee or western North Carolina.

I feel the same way about upgrading US 220 to an interstate between Roanoke and Martinsville as I do about US 31 between South Bend and Indianapolis -- some spot improvements might be beneficial, but a full freeway built to Interstate standards is not needed and a waste of money.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on October 26, 2016, 02:09:09 PM
I feel the same way about upgrading US 220 to an interstate between Roanoke and Martinsville as I do about US 31 between South Bend and Indianapolis -- some spot improvements might be beneficial, but a full freeway built to Interstate standards is not needed and a waste of money.

A road built to West Virginia's expressway-type ADHS corridor standards such as Corridor G and Corridor H would be an improvement, though in the case of U.S. 220 south of Roanoke, it would mean cutting-off a lot of access to the highway from private properties along the way.

Strider

I would be absolutely THRILLED if I could somehow pick up existing US 220 and put it down along any number of corridors in eastern Kentucky, West Virginia, southwestern Virginia (oh wait, they already did in spots, they're called US 19, US 23, US 58, US 460 and a few other numbers), east Tennessee or western North Carolina.

And you have no problem with I-69 being built in your state? okay. Good for you.

vdeane

Building I-69 in Kentucky IS only spot improvements on existing freeways, with the exception of the Ohio River Bridge.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

Correct.  A more relevant comparison for Strider to have made was the proposed construction of I-66 in Kentucky.  But HB is also on record as opposing that as "a waste of money"...

hbelkins

For the zillionth time -- I'm generally in favor of signing any Interstate-compatible freeway with the red, white and blue shield. I'd be A-OK with signing every Kentucky parkway as such, but that's not possible because most don't meet strict Interstate (capital "I") standards although the differences are not noticeable to the average non-roadgeek or non-engineer motorist.

Congress pushed for the building of I-69 as a border-to-border route and Kentucky was lucky enough to have freeways already in place. I think Kentucky would have been more than happy to put up I-69 signs on the existing parkways, but the feds demanded certain upgrades before it could be done. So blame the feds for that, not Kentucky. Kentucky also made a cost-saving decision to route I-69 on the Western Kentucky and Pennyrile parkways instead of building a new-terrain route paralleling US 60 between the Paducah area and Henderson.

Indiana is building I-69 through virgin territory and is not replacing viable four-lane expressways between Evansville and Bloomington. If there was a route in existence similar to US 220, or any number of other four-lane routes, between central and southwestern Indiana, I'd say it's a waste of money too. But when you have a good, serviceable four-lane, it's just wasteful to build a parallel interstate. 220 has some hills and curves, but it's not an overly unsafe route, nor are those factors impediments to travel.

Although I know I'll never convince some that think just because Martinsville wants an interstate, it should be done, because the government says so.

VTGoose

A long time ago when I-73 was first discussed, the reasonable routing in Virginia added it to existing I-77 to get from West Virginia to North Carolina. But some politicians saw a way to enhance their standing with voters and gerrymandered the route to the east, even though there is no really good way to do so unless one spends lots and lots of money, moves lots of earth, and displaces a lot of people -- with limited benefit. Pretty much any discussion of how to get from West Virginia to Roanoke has faded away, since U.S. 460 is already pretty much on what would be the most viable route (and improving that road is a major part of any expense to create the new highway).

The same problem exists with U.S. 220 -- it is an old road built on the path of least resistance established back in colonial days. Putting a parallel interstate through that area has already met resistance from landowners who would lose their property to a new road. Probably the best compromise would be to work on sections of the existing highway where it was "twinned" to improve curves and grades and to build a couple of new sections to get around some problem areas (like bypassing speed-trap Boones Mill and avoiding the roll-over curve a little north of Oak Level).

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.