News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most absurd VMS messages

Started by Pete from Boston, July 10, 2015, 12:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Right on Red on July 14, 2016, 11:06:22 AM
From IADOT:

Sorry, the proper response is "And also with you." (or it is if you're like me and quit the Catholic Church before 2011)

Right on Red

kphoger

Quote from: Mr. Matté on July 14, 2016, 04:22:02 PM
From IADOT:

Sorry, the proper response is "And also with you." (or it is if you're like me and quit the Catholic Church before 2011)

I immediately understood your comment.  Not having read your parenthesis till revisiting the thread, it didn't occur to me people wouldn't understand it.  I grew up Lutheran, not Catholic, but they use a lot of the same liturgy.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jbnv

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Brandon

Quote from: Jet380 on June 10, 2016, 06:02:06 AM
A short distance before a concealed fixed speed camera:

PLEASE OBEY THE SPEED LIMIT

We have portable ones around Chicagoland that say:

OBEY
SPEED
LIMIT
(flip to second part of message)
IN
WORK
ZONES

Of course, no one pays them any heed.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

cl94

Quote from: kphoger on July 14, 2016, 04:47:16 PM
From IADOT:

I immediately understood your comment.  Not having read your parenthesis till revisiting the thread, it didn't occur to me people wouldn't understand it.  I grew up Lutheran, not Catholic, but they use a lot of the same liturgy.

Ditto. Reminds me of that joke about Catholics/Lutherans being kicked out of a movie theater when seeing the newest Star Wars film for responding to "may the force be with you" every time it is said.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

mariethefoxy

Quote from: Right on Red on July 12, 2016, 11:12:59 AM

where was this taken? I cant quite make out the interstate signs in the distance.

Also my favorite is the boston one "USE YAH BLINKAH"

US71

TURN SIGNALS
THE ORIGINAL
INSTANT MESSAGE

(seen on several MoDOT signs)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

PurdueBill

Quote from: mariethefoxy on July 15, 2016, 08:08:06 PM
where was this taken? I cant quite make out the interstate signs in the distance.

If I squint, I think I can make out Des Moines on the left-hand BGS.  I think.  Judging from the shields, either I-35 or I-80 (or I-235) near there?

PurdueBill

Quote from: PurdueBill on July 18, 2016, 12:19:34 AM

If I squint, I think I can make out Des Moines on the left-hand BGS.  I think.  Judging from the shields, either I-35 or I-80 (or I-235) near there?

Found it.....I-80 WB, about to underpass NE 38th St.

The signs in the distance were indeed 235/80/35 related.

roadman

From IADOT:

At Christmas and Easter, you can immediately identify those members of the congregation who only attend Mass only once or twice a year because they still respond "and also with you".
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

DevalDragon

Illinois DOT telling you what (not) to do.

On the approach to a workzone in Effingham IL on I-57 southbound.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: DevalDragon on July 18, 2016, 11:30:31 PM
Illinois DOT telling you what (not) to do.

On the approach to a workzone in Effingham IL on I-57 southbound.

If you're snoozing how would one read the VMS instead of crashing right into it or someone else?   :rolleyes:

jwolfer

Quote from: cl94 on July 15, 2016, 07:21:56 PM
From IADOT:

Ditto. Reminds me of that joke about Catholics/Lutherans being kicked out of a movie theater when seeing the newest Star Wars film for responding to "may the force be with you" every time it is said.
I grew up in the Episcopal Church, in my church we used the 1928 Prayer Book.. so we went all Elizabethan.. "and with thy spirit".. 1549 translation from the Latin Mass.. so the new response is closer to the original Latin.

Right on Red

7/8

Quote from: Right on Red on July 22, 2016, 10:47:10 PM
More ADOT:

Awesome! I'm starting to like ADOT :-D

I can't wait to see the movie this weekend :)

jwolfer

MikeTheActuary

I wish I had taken a picture, but three weeks ago, I saw a TDOT message that began "YOU'RE IN TENNESSEE NOW / VOLUNTEER..." (and I forget the rest).

Thing is...I saw this heading westbound off the Hernando-DeSoto Bridge, by an Arkansas weigh station, complete with an Arkansas state trooper running a speed trap.

Apparently the folks in Nashville forgot that the state's VMS network includes a few signs in West Memphis.

CNGL-Leudimin

I think the most absurd VMS I've ever seen was one saying (originally in Spanish) 'Speed can kill'. Nothing wrong... except it showed up in a jam.
Quote from: Right on Red on July 14, 2016, 04:44:44 PMFrom Ayer, MA:

I actually thought it was spotted the previous day somewhere in Massachusetts, as 'Ayer' is Spanish for 'yesterday'.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

JMoses24

Along the lines of the bus signs, the Transit Authority of Northern Kentucky does this as well. Take a look at this, which is absurd for TWO reasons even:

1) It's a Merry Christmas sign
2) This photo was taken in JUNE.

Photo by me, 6/10/15.

Desert Man

Quote from: Right on Red on July 12, 2016, 11:12:59 AM

Now that's what's called the sign of the times (2016)...adults, don't be children, keep an eye on the roads...and if you're a pedestrian, look around you instead looking for pikachu on the damn screen.  :)
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

cl94

I admit that I have Pokémon Go going while in heavy, slow-moving traffic, but I don't look at it. If you're moving slower than 15 km/h, it thinks you're walking and it will count toward hatching eggs. Makes traffic a hell of a lot more enjoyable, especially if the jam is a few miles long and you can get a few eggs to hatch with zero effort.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadman

Quote from: JMoses24 on July 26, 2016, 05:31:27 AM
Along the lines of the bus signs, the Transit Authority of Northern Kentucky does this as well. Take a look at this, which is absurd for TWO reasons even:

1) It's a Merry Christmas sign
2) This photo was taken in JUNE.

Photo by me, 6/10/15.

Speaking of absurd transit VMS messages, the MBTA's latest double-decker commuter rail coaches have VMS displays on the outside of the cars.  The intent of these displays was to indicate the destination of the train.  However, more often than not, the displays read "Now Arriving At (station)" instead.  Apart from the utter absurdity of having to tell passengers on a station platform that the train is arriving at that station, the displays seldom get the station name correct.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Revive 755

One from the I-90 Tollway reconstruction project in Chicagoland a few weeks ago:

STAY
ALIVE
[changes to]
DRIVE

Never mind that at least 70% of the traffic passing this sign is doing at least 60.  There was another sign after this one with a message along the same lines, but I can't remember what it was.

From I-41/I-94 near Racine recently:

CHANGING LANES?  SHOW US YOUR BLINKER (may not be an exact word for word match but close enough)

roadman

Yesterday afternoon, coming through Providence, the VMSes were displaying:

STOP SPEEDING
BEFORE IT
STOPS YOU

Although the message was shown on EVERY sign between Route 4 and the MA line, I guess that's better than seeing

PROVIDENCE-NEWPORT FERRY
12:30 SOLD OUT
5:00 STILL TICKETS

on all the signs, which was the case two weeks ago.  And note that the ferry message was being displayed about 3:00 pm, well after the 12:30 ferry had departed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.