News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most absurd VMS messages

Started by Pete from Boston, July 10, 2015, 12:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

I don't think that's necessarily absurd. It would not surprise me at all to learn that Springfield passed a mask mandate and, say, Republic rejected it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 09, 2020, 03:11:42 PM
I don't think that's necessarily absurd. It would not surprise me at all to learn that Springfield passed a mask mandate and, say, Republic rejected it.

Why would you need a mask while driving?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

ozarkman417

Ozark and Nixa rejected theirs.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on October 09, 2020, 03:13:20 PM

Why would you need a mask while driving?

I would assume the message was directed at those with an intended destination in Springfield, so that they would know that they would be required to wear a mask when they got out of the car and not be caught unaware after they parked and saw the message taped to the front door.

I imagine it was less of an issue in the Northeast, but here in Oklahoma there was a period of a couple of months where it was kind of hard to keep track of which municipalities had a mask mandate and which didn't. There were people posting angry comments on local news sites posting about how they would only shop in X suburb that wasn't requiring masks. That has all sort of died down now that...er...the local populace has started to sort of die down.

Quote from: ozarkman417 on October 09, 2020, 03:15:48 PM
Ozark and Nixa rejected theirs.

Ah, the usual suspects.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

I recently got back from a camping trip in Colorado.  Where Stanton County RD 12 becomes CO-116 east of Two Buttes, there was a portable VMS advising that face masks were required in Colorado.  If such was present at such a minor state line crossing (120 AADT), then I have to imagine they're present at least at every state highway entrance.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MCRoads

As someone who rides the bus, I like seeing messages that are fun. It makes me feel a bit better that the transit authority is wishing me well. What Mountain Metro usually does is something like:

ROUTE [NUMBER]
VIA [ROAD]
TO [DESTINATION]
[OTHER MESSAGE]

Where the "other message"  is usually

HAVE A NICE DAY, THANK YOU, REMEMBER TO SMILE, and, of corse, MASKS ARE REQUIRED.

Usually these are cycled so that each line is displayed about 2-3 seconds.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

kphoger

Just saw this in Missouri:

TRICK OR TREAT
YOURSELF TO
A SEAT BELT

What if I choose "trick"?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on October 20, 2020, 02:18:51 PM

TRICK OR TREAT
YOURSELF TO
A SEAT BELT

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

STLmapboy

TRICK OR TREAT
YOURSELF TO
A SEAT BELT
What a bait and switch!  :-(
MO had a pretty good Dirty Harry themed one the other day. "Go ahead, make my day. Buckle up."
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

STLmapboy

TRICK OR TREAT
YOURSELF TO
A SEAT BELT

Another Halloween themed one, found on 44 by Joplin (according to the MoDOT traveler info map):
SEAT BELTS
SAVE LIVES
NO HOCUS POCUS
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

kphoger

It was on I-44 that I saw it, actually.  Somewhere between Springfield and Carthage.
Male pronouns, please.

US71

Quote from: kphoger on October 22, 2020, 11:43:19 AM
It was on I-44 that I saw it, actually.  Somewhere between Springfield and Carthage.

MODOT likes getting cute with their message boards.  There was a Start Trek-type message a few months ago near Joplin.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ozarkman417

US 60- Cabool, MO-
Stay alert- don't drive on a Holi-Daze

kphoger

Quote from: ozarkman417 on November 23, 2020, 02:24:07 PM
US 60- Cabool, MO-
Stay alert- don't drive on a Holi-Daze

:facpalm:  It shouldn't take four times as long to figure out what it means as it does to read it in the first place.
Male pronouns, please.

hotdogPi

I-495 northbound between exits 39 and 40: A few small sections are burned out, so it tells you to wear a mask when "CARPOO ING" with non-family.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

US 89

Saw this one on I-75 in Georgia on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving:

GOBBLE GOBBLE
DONT DRIVE IF
YOU WOBBLE

webny99

New York recently is in love with:

ONE SMALL ASK
WEAR A MASK

There was a funnier (or at least weirder) one about mask-wearing over the holiday weekend.
EDIT: I think it was:

DON'T BE A TURKEY
WEAR A MASK

OK, I guess!?   :confused:

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on December 03, 2020, 12:01:19 PM
New York recently is in love with:

ONE SMALL ASK
WEAR A MASK

I generally dislike virus-related messages on VMSes, especially ones that tell you what "your duty" is.  Leave the VMSes for traffic-related messages.  But that one is polite, succinct, and really pretty decent.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say I wouldn't mind seeing other states' departments use it as their go-to public health message (if they must have one at all).
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Yeah, it works. It's getting pretty tired considering we were one of the first states to adopt widespread mask wearing, but other than that, I have no qualms with it.

Speaking of the First State, it's certainly better than:

PRACTICE CORONA COURTESIES

which I saw plenty of in Delaware over the summer. What does that even mean? The least one can do is be specific, and NY at least does that, usually.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on December 03, 2020, 12:46:15 PM
Speaking of the First State, it's certainly better than:

which I saw plenty of in Delaware over the summer. What does that even mean? The least one can do is be specific, and NY at least does that, usually.

Maybe it means asking permission before infecting someone.  But more likely, it means sharing your beer with others.   :cheers:
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on December 03, 2020, 02:06:30 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 03, 2020, 12:46:15 PM
which I saw plenty of in Delaware over the summer. What does that even mean? ...
...  But more likely, it means sharing your beer with others.   :cheers:

Now we're talking!  :cheers:

GaryV

We saw one on I-696 yesterday

ENDANGERED PERSON
[Car description]
[License plate]

Huh?  What are we supposed to do if we see that red car?  And what does "endangered" mean - they are in immediate peril and we should intervene?  Or someone just wants to know where they are?

wanderer2575

Quote from: GaryV on December 10, 2020, 12:29:39 PM

ENDANGERED PERSON
[Car description]
[License plate]

Huh?  What are we supposed to do if we see that red car?  And what does "endangered" mean - they are in immediate peril and we should intervene?  Or someone just wants to know where they are?

I saw those too.  It's equivalent to the AMBER Alerts issued for abducted children.  Contact emergency authorities if you see the vehicle.  I assume requests are vetted against a list of criteria so VMSs don't turn into arena scoreboards displaying birthday greetings and the like.

jeffandnicole

ENDANGERED PERSON
[Car description]
[License plate]

I take it you're not exactly the most helpful person in an emergency...

kphoger

And what does "endangered" mean ... ?

There's only one of that particular person left alive, as far as anyone knows, therefore he or she is endangered.  It probably has to do with global warming or cornfields in the rainforest.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.