News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Suggestions and Questions / Re: NEW features
Last post by hotdogPi - Today at 06:34:31 PM
Are you somehow unable to? I can.
Last post by Big John - Today at 06:30:45 PM
Will the ability to edit your viewable location be added?
Suggestions and Questions / Re: Theme Change?
Last post by epzik8 - Today at 06:22:58 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 26, 2024, 10:27:04 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on March 26, 2024, 09:02:08 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 26, 2024, 08:11:38 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on March 26, 2024, 12:35:59 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 26, 2024, 12:24:44 PM
Quote from: thspfc on March 26, 2024, 12:21:24 PMPlease go back to the old theme 🙏🙏

Not possible at this time.

It would have to be remade from scratch to work with the new version of SMF we're running on now.

There are plans to do this (or at least make it look similar), but this will take time.

You've already put enough effort getting it running again, count me as a vote to not spend any of your time making it look like the old forum. You'll put all the effort into it and then some update to SMF will render it dead again. I'd love to see the old look but not at the expense of someone else's time.

Fortunately, it bothers me enough that I'll probably end up making it if nobody else does. I still have all of the files from when I made the original, so it shouldn't be too hard. (Also I know more about CSS now so I can do stuff like make a dark mode option.)

I'll get used to the new look.

Yeah, but I won't, and that's motivation enough for me to fix it. :P

You're one of those who call the shots, and I'm not, so I shall respect this.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Wisconsin notes
Last post by mgk920 - Today at 06:10:28 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan3561 on March 19, 2024, 04:41:26 PMThey may have grounds to turn a trail back to rail, but if it would be economically palatable to anyone is another question. It's not just rebuilding the track, but restoring all the long-removed crossing lights and gates, utilities, and other associated infrastructure.

Everything on the former CNW/FRVR/WC Eisenbahn Trail grade would have had to have been replaced, anyways, it would be all new track and signalling.  The former infrastructure all dated to the mid 20th century and perhaps earlier with only the ballast and some of the old ties being newer (changed out as part of regular maintenance).

Mike
Last post by Android - Today at 06:05:01 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on Today at 02:43:34 PM
Quote from: X99 on Today at 12:59:11 PMIs there an estimate to how long it will take to restore the old forum theme? A week, a month, maybe more?

No ETA, as all the settings are different from the previous branch of SMF that we were on.  So will take some trial and error to get stuff to work right.

Several years ago, to my surprise, I got made an Admin of a new forum that was replacing one (which I was never involved with on the Admin side of things) that had just got shut down.  In setting up that forum (which did not port over ANY of the content from the other one) I went out of my way to make a Theme that tried to mimic the feel of the previous forum.  However I never promoted it, I just put it into the settings and hoped people might find it if they cared to look for it.  A few people did, but while I still have Admin status there, I have moved on from that topic and seldom look at that forum any more.  I just checked and it looks like I'm the only person still using that Theme.  *sigh*

Now having said that,  you might expect that when this revision of the AA forum finished the other day, the first thing I looked for was some kind of alternate display theme.

Something else I had done when setting up that forum was that I eradicated their default emoticon library and replaced it with a much less manic version.  Not that I really use emoticons that often any more.   
General Highway Talk / Re: Interstate Shield Evolutio...
Last post by mgk920 - Today at 05:47:43 PM
It's still a reworked and colorized version of the unit insignia of the USArmy's 2nd Infantry Division.

:nod:

Mike
Off-Topic / Re: Laptop vs Desktop vs Small...
Last post by kkt - Today at 05:39:30 PM
Currently I use my laptop on my desk, with an external large monitor and USB keyboard, mouse, hard drives, and scanner.  The laptop is borderline obsolete with only 16 GB of RAM.  But it works okay except for certain applications that consider memory to be free like air and they can use as much as they want and never bother to free it.
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 05:39:04 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on Today at 05:14:54 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on Today at 04:40:09 PM
Quote from: kphoger on Today at 04:33:27 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on Today at 04:23:06 PM
Quote from: kphoger on Today at 03:55:51 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on March 26, 2024, 02:31:11 PMQuick reply...awesome.

Am I missing something?  Where is this quick reply of which you speak?

For me, right below the last post in a thread.

Oh!  The huge section at the bottom of each page!  Wasn't that always there?

I thought so, too.

It was, but it wasn't as fleshed out, the buttons for various things (like the embeds and things like bolding text) and smilies weren't there.

For bolding and such, I find it just as easy to just type the tags. Smilies are nice though.
Road Enthusiasts Meetings / Re: Where Have We Not Held a R...
Last post by Alps - Today at 05:36:44 PM
You're missing international meets. I held one in Dublin - granted only one attendee but I tried!
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=22376

We need to get the Canadian and Australian folks in this somehow as well.
Fair question, why are old school street car and interurban lines getting a free pass from people nowadays?  Most of those lines became rapidly unprofitable once the car really became something accessible to the average consumer.  Blaming car companies for marketing a then superior product isn't exactly the conspiracy many want to make it out to be. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.