News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 87 (NC-VA)

Started by LM117, July 14, 2016, 12:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimQuiQui

87 continues its westward creep on Google Maps. Now it's all the way to the 440 split!!!

Strider

LOL! Wow. somebody had too much time smoking something.... :-D

sparker

Maybe they're just NY transplants and they're feeling homesick! 

LM117

Quote from: TimQuiQui on July 17, 2017, 10:33:11 PM

87 continues its westward creep on Google Maps. Now it's all the way to the 440 split!!!

Pffft. I'm won't be inpressed until it takes over US-1 and goes to I-20 in SC. Go big or go home. :spin:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

The Ghostbuster

Isn't there a thread called "Google Maps Sucks"? Apparently this symbolizes why that thread exists to the T!

Finrod

Quote from: LM117 on July 18, 2017, 07:01:35 AM
Pffft. I'm won't be inpressed until it takes over US-1 and goes to I-20 in SC. Go big or go home. :spin:

Well, if you really want to go big: take I-87 to I-20, multiplex it to Augusta, then take over the proposed I-14 route.  After all, I-85 in Alabama goes practically east-west, why not I-87?

(No, I'm not in the least bit serious here.)
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

roadman65

QuoteWell, if you really want to go big: take I-87 to I-20, multiplex it to Augusta, then take over the proposed I-14 route.  After all, I-85 in Alabama goes practically east-west, why not I-87?

(No, I'm not in the least bit serious here.)

It would fit the grid being east of I-85 :).
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

The Nature Boy

Quote from: sparker on July 17, 2017, 11:48:51 PM

*waits for I-87 to also be labeled as the "North Carolina State Thruway" on Google Maps*

bob7374

Quote from: The Nature Boy on July 22, 2017, 09:36:23 AM

*waits for I-87 to also be labeled as the "North Carolina State Thruway" on Google Maps*
It's already got the informal nickname of 'The Southway'.

sparker

Quote from: bob7374 on July 22, 2017, 10:40:16 AM

I still think it should be called the "Jimmie Johnson/Rick Hendrick Championship Freeway" and the number changed to I-48 (for obvious reasons  - actually, more than one!).  Then get the Hendrick group to pony up some bucks for signage.  Win-win for all concerned!

The Nature Boy

Quote from: sparker on July 22, 2017, 03:04:21 PM

I still think it should be called the "Jimmie Johnson/Rick Hendrick Championship Freeway" and the number changed to I-48 (for obvious reasons  - actually, more than one!).  Then get the Hendrick group to pony up some bucks for signage.  Win-win for all concerned!

Jeff Gordon might feel slighted, he only has 1.6 miles of I-85 named after him.

And don't give NCDOT any ideas, they'll try to number it I-3 and call it the "Dale Earnhardt Memorial Freeway."

sparker

Quote from: The Nature Boy on July 22, 2017, 03:15:27 PM
Quote from: sparker on July 22, 2017, 03:04:21 PM

Jeff Gordon might feel slighted, he only has 1.6 miles of I-85 named after him.

And don't give NCDOT any ideas, they'll try to number it I-3 and call it the "Dale Earnhardt Memorial Freeway."

NCDOT already moved NC 3 to the Concord area for just that reason; that might keep them satisfied for the time being!  At least my number fits the damn grid!  And since Gordon is a Vallejo native up here in Bay country, maybe we should slap his name on CA 24, since it's not too far from his hometown -- and he probably raced on dirt tracks in the area when he was a kid in any case! 

Sam

Quote from: TimQuiQui on July 17, 2017, 10:33:11 PM

I think the real problem with Google Maps jumping the gun is that it misleads drivers. If I'm southbound on I-95 headed for Raleigh, and Google Maps tells me to take I-87, I'm looking for signs that say I-87. I wouldn't think to exit on US 64. I'm sure plenty of drivers will just "in one half mile take the exit right", but, still, any mapmaker should try to be accurate.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Sam on July 22, 2017, 09:57:11 PM
I think the real problem with Google Maps jumping the gun is that it misleads drivers. If I'm southbound on I-95 headed for Raleigh, and Google Maps tells me to take I-87, I'm looking for signs that say I-87. I wouldn't think to exit on US 64. I'm sure plenty of drivers will just "in one half mile take the exit right", but, still, any mapmaker should try to be accurate.

It doesn't only mislead drivers, but wikipedia editors who do not use official sources.   :banghead:

roadman65

Isn't our bipolar buddy on here one of the editors of Wiki? You know the big troll who has all the time in the world to be on line.

Sheryl Crowe

WashuOtaku

Quote from: roadman65 on July 23, 2017, 01:03:40 PM
Isn't our bipolar buddy on here one of the editors of Wiki? You know the big troll who has all the time in the world to be on line.

Well, anyone can make edits on wikipedia, so the people I swat reverts on are usually anonymous.

roadman65

Yes I imagine so.  Heck the one in question could just do it just to be funny. That is why you cannot trust wiki one hundred percent.

Sheryl Crowe

Finrod

Quote from: roadman65 on July 25, 2017, 04:54:05 PM
That is why you cannot trust wiki one hundred percent.

I think of wikipedia as expressing an Internet consensus rather than anything else.  A consensus can be and often is wrong.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

roadman65

Well its whats in the field verses what is legislated rather than wiki verses the DOTs.

Sheryl Crowe

CanesFan27

NCDOT has begun the process of removing the Future I-495 signs - at least in Nash County.  I first caught on to thus after the NC 581 exit thus morning.  I will confirm how much further West on my way home from work this evening.

The standard I-495 signs in Wake County still remain and may take a little longer as overheads will need to be replaced or updated.

CanesFan27

Interstate 87 shields are in the process of being installed on the Knightdale Bypass.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/300176946738649?view=permalink&id=1487186911370974

plain

Well I guess now it's official. Though I still think the state should've held off with the postings until US 64 out to at least I-95 is improved.
Newark born, Richmond bred

WashuOtaku

Quote from: plain on September 05, 2017, 09:40:54 PM
Well I guess now it's official. Though I still think the state should've held off with the postings until US 64 out to at least I-95 is improved.

That wasn't going to happen, they are still years away from completing that stretch.  However, I am still awaiting word from NCDOT and the Local News Outlets about I-87 before I update Wikipedia.

CanesFan27

follow up with the blog entry with some of the new signing plans and changes to the exit numbers along the Knightdale Bypass for I-87.

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2017/09/goodbye-interstate-495-hello-interstate.html

sparker

Aaaaaaargh!  Looks like the misbegotten I-87 is now fact rather than mistake-to-be-corrected!  Well, this just nails it -- 2016 will go down in history as The Year Of Bad Decisions:ded: I'll leave it to the rest of you to ponder what the others were.

(Alternately: the year of deliberate stupidity!)  :banghead:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.