News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on September 21, 2020, 09:39:13 AM
Quote from: tylert120 on September 21, 2020, 09:35:02 AM
Check out the mileage numerals on these new attraction signs at the Donegal interchange on the PA Turnpike. Yikes.

https://imgur.com/a/cikE26n

I also posted this in traffic control (good, bad, ugly thread).

Looks like a child in kindergarden drew them.

When things got real on "Bring Your Child To Work" Day!

Mr_Northside

Quote from: tylert120 on September 17, 2020, 07:58:41 AM
I posted this in traffic control, but notice this newer BGS at the Monroeville exit shows an exit speed that differs from the posted exit speed just after the BGS.

I wonder why the turnpike decided to go with a ground mounted BGS instead of a new overhead sign? The sign for "Ohio and West"  was not replaced.

My best guess is the existing overhead gantry reached a point it needed to come down for safety reasons, and knowing that *someday* (when they find the money) they are widening the turnpike from Irwin to Monroeville, they're probably just going with this ground-mounted sign until they put in a new overhead structure (probably mono-tube) over the widened highway.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

rickmastfan67

Beaver Valley Interchange (Exit 13) will be closed on weekdays for three weeks starting Sept. 21.
https://triblive.com/local/regional/beaver-valley-interchange-on-turnpike-to-close-for-3-weeks/

rickmastfan67

Looks like they'll be doing major bridge beam placement this weekend for the new Turnpike bridge over US-19.  They'll have US-19 closed this entire weekend.

https://twitter.com/WPXITraffic/status/1316677733603315712

Alps

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 15, 2020, 07:09:43 AM
Looks like they'll be doing major bridge beam placement this weekend for the new Turnpike bridge over US-19.  They'll have US-19 closed this entire weekend.

I assume the idea is to scare as many people away as possible since you can't fit all of 19 on Warrendale Bayne, Brush Creek, Thorn Hill, and back. Because that's hardly 10.5 miles.

MASTERNC

Quote from: Alps on October 15, 2020, 11:26:30 AM

I assume the idea is to scare as many people away as possible since you can't fit all of 19 on Warrendale Bayne, Brush Creek, Thorn Hill, and back. Because that's hardly 10.5 miles.

What I don't understand is why the NB detour can't use the direct ramp from I-79 to US 19 North since it is north of the Turnpike bridge.  I get the SB detour since the ramp to I-79 is after the bridge.  The 228 corridor around 19 and 79 is normally a nightmare, so I would think they'd want to minimize the added traffic.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: MASTERNC on October 15, 2020, 11:43:29 AM
Quote from: Alps on October 15, 2020, 11:26:30 AM

What I don't understand is why the NB detour can't use the direct ramp from I-79 to US 19 North since it is north of the Turnpike bridge.  I get the SB detour since the ramp to I-79 is after the bridge.  The 228 corridor around 19 and 79 is normally a nightmare, so I would think they'd want to minimize the added traffic.

Good point, unless they plan on closing that exit too for the weekend because they don't want the last second left lane insanity at that interchange.

Crown Victoria

vdeane

New debt to cover the payments on old dept?  Yeah, that's not even remotely sustainable.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Crown Victoria

Quote from: vdeane on November 29, 2020, 08:48:03 PM
New debt to cover the payments on old dept?  Yeah, that's not even remotely sustainable.

Not at all. But, given the circumstances, they don't have any other choice at the moment.

vdeane

Quote from: Crown Victoria on November 29, 2020, 09:32:09 PM

Not at all. But, given the circumstances, they don't have any other choice at the moment.
Unfortunately I don't think this is unique to the pandemic.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Crown Victoria

Quote from: vdeane on November 29, 2020, 09:35:17 PM
Quote from: Crown Victoria on November 29, 2020, 09:32:09 PM

Unfortunately I don't think this is unique to the pandemic.

Indeed. The fact that nothing's been done to decrease the Act 44 payments sooner than 2022 has a lot to do with it. The pandemic has only served to exacerbate the situation. And now that PennDOT is having its own troubles, they couldn't afford to let the PTC put off its obligations any longer.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Crown Victoria on November 29, 2020, 11:00:00 PM
Indeed. The fact that nothing's been done to decrease the Act 44 payments sooner than 2022 has a lot to do with it. The pandemic has only served to exacerbate the situation. And now that PennDOT is having its own troubles, they couldn't afford to let the PTC put off its obligations any longer.

Wonder if anyone has asked SEPTA and the Port Authority of Allegheny County to cut spending? I realize that is like leading the sacred cow to the slaughterhouse, but it should be considered.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

SteveG1988

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 30, 2020, 11:37:58 AM
Quote from: Crown Victoria on November 29, 2020, 11:00:00 PM

Wonder if anyone has asked SEPTA and the Port Authority of Allegheny County to cut spending? I realize that is like leading the sacred cow to the slaughterhouse, but it would be considered.

Septa is in the middle of a fleet renewal, they have 1970s equipment still, the Silverliner IV. So...they need to replace them sooner than later to get more ADA compliance, along with their 1981 trolley fleet that can't be made ADA compliant
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Mr_Northside

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2020/11/29/Pennsylvania-Turnpike-Warrendale-toll-booths-E-ZPass-travel-transporation/stories/202011290058

With the Turnpike going to AET now for good, and the 3 mile reconstruction between Cranberry and the Warrendale toll plaza going on, I was wondering about this....
It would be kind of dumb to adapt the new stretch into the current plaza with only 2 lanes (per direction) of EZ-Pass ORT and one lane for now useless toll booths, so this does seem a common-sense move.  Good for the PTC.
Unless there is some sort of brief transition period, it does mean that the current plaza that was designed to have 4 lanes of ORT (2 in each direction) EZ-Pass "Express" lanes since it was built as an early-action project for the "Cranberry Connector" (the direct connection between the Turnpike & I-79) in the very early '00's was never fully utilized, as they only ever allowed one lane of ORT in each direction  (which I always questioned, especially eastbound - after the 6-lane widening between the plaza and near PA-8).
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Mr_Northside on November 30, 2020, 03:29:05 PM
https://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2020/11/29/Pennsylvania-Turnpike-Warrendale-toll-booths-E-ZPass-travel-transporation/stories/202011290058

With the Turnpike going to AET now for good, and the 3 mile reconstruction between Cranberry and the Warrendale toll plaza going on, I was wondering about this....
It would be kind of dumb to adapt the new stretch into the current plaza with only 2 lanes (per direction) of EZ-Pass ORT and one lane for now useless toll booths, so this does seem a common-sense move.  Good for the PTC.
Unless there is some sort of brief transition period, it does mean that the current plaza that was designed to have 4 lanes of ORT (2 in each direction) EZ-Pass "Express" lanes since it was built as an early-action project for the "Cranberry Connector" (the direct connection between the Turnpike & I-79) in the very early '00's was never fully utilized, as they only ever allowed one lane of ORT in each direction  (which I always questioned, especially eastbound - after the 6-lane widening between the plaza and near PA-8).

They should do the same thing to the Neshaminy Falls Toll Plaza when they decide to expand the road to six lanes east of the US 1 interchange.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: SteveG1988 on November 30, 2020, 12:24:57 PM
Septa is in the middle of a fleet renewal, they have 1970s equipment still, the Silverliner IV. So...they need to replace them sooner than later to get more ADA compliance, along with their 1981 trolley fleet that can't be made ADA compliant

So maybe SEPTA and the Port Authority should be taxing residents of their respective service areas instead of fleecing current and future Pennsylvania Turnpike patrons?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

kalvado

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 30, 2020, 10:21:34 PM

So maybe SEPTA and the Port Authority should be taxing residents of their respective service areas instead of fleecing current and future Pennsylvania Turnpike patrons?
(reading from a random textbook) this will be a regressive tax, as those who cannot afford it and living in a city and relying on public transportation would be affected most. Charging affluential long haul travelers is a much more equitable way to fund public transportation

cpzilliacus

Quote from: kalvado on December 01, 2020, 11:13:56 AM

(reading from a random textbook) this will be a regressive tax, as those who cannot afford it and living in a city and relying on public transportation would be affected most. Charging affluential long haul travelers is a much more equitable way to fund public transportation

I strongly disagree.  Much of the traffic on the Pennsylvania Turnpike should be truck traffic (though I think the Act 44/Act 89 toll rates have driven a fair amount of that traffic to "free" roads), and funding it using your redistribution method means that there are no incentives at all for SEPTA and the Port Authority of Allegheny County to control costs, as the money is "free."

Do you know what the demographics of patrons of SEPTA and the Port Authority area?  Especially in terms of per-capita or household incomes?

kalvado

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 01, 2020, 11:38:25 AM
Quote from: kalvado on December 01, 2020, 11:13:56 AM

I strongly disagree.  Much of the traffic on the Pennsylvania Turnpike should be truck traffic (though I think the Act 44/Act 89 toll rates have driven a fair amount of that traffic to "free" roads), and funding it using your redistribution method means that there are no incentives at all for SEPTA and the Port Authority of Allegheny County to control costs, as the money is "free."

Do you know what the demographics of patrons of SEPTA and the Port Authority area?  Especially in terms of per-capita or household incomes?
I am sorry, my [ sarcasm] tag didn't work.
Public transportation funding seems to be a very convoluted issue, which doesn't really belong to this thread.
And it is not even about cost control.  "free" money provide no incencitive to chase fares and build service which is actually used.

seicer

The problem isn't cost control for public agencies in PA - there are entire systems that haven't been updated for decades and needed a complete overhaul to be federally compliant. The issue is the lack of a reliable funding source for these agencies. Act 44/Act 89, for piggybacking off of the Turnpike, were the first reliable funding sources for both systems. These need to be replaced with another reliable funding source as these are long-term projects that require multi-year funding mechanism. This is getting a bit off topic, I think.

sbeaver44

Reminder to everyone that Jan 3, 2021 is the 6% EZPass/45% AET increase.

I can't believe the minimum toll is going to be $3.90 for non EZ Pass users now.  I'm 33 and I remember when Gettysburg Pike to Harrisburg West was 50 cents, and 65 cents to Harrisburg East.  Presumably that would be $3.90 and $4.40 now, respectively.  Heck back then, $3.45 got you to Valley Forge.

billpa

We went on the "Antique car" ride at Hersheypark.

Pixel 2

Roadsguy

I love how the Great Valley exit sign is in FHWA Series when the real signs are in Clearview. :spin:
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.