News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Hockey

Started by BigMattFromTexas, March 15, 2010, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desert Man

Junior-level hockey: the California Desert Rams used to play in the Ice castle in Cathedral City before the building closed. They disbanded as a result. They played teams from across So Cal. The Palm Springs area still has a collegiate baseball team (the Power), the Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians lend their name to a NBA developmental team (under the LA Clippers) in Ontario (near San Bernardino), and a minor league soccer team (the Desert United). And the So-Cal Coyotes minor league football team change fields, the most recent was Rancho Mirage High school, probably now in Palm Springs High school.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

bing101

ET21

6 days until the regular season!
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

ET21

NHL season begins tonight!!

And Bryan Bickell signs a one day contract to retire as a Blackhawk  :love:

Clinched:

jp the roadgeek

Bumping this thread to mention the BGS's that are on the far side of the ice during the Winter Classic:

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

rickmastfan67

Wow, that's dope!  Looks like they got the fonts right too for the shields!

1995hoo

Note the white line that looks like a separator above the control city on those signs is actually a white railing along the edge of the platform on which they built the rink. The signs looked pretty sharp.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

1995hoo

Stephane Dumas

Desert Man

Sharks vs Canes: the tale of two cities rose from obscurity in the mid 20th century to be high-tech centers in the new global economy of the millennia. But they'll never reach the peak, height and power of Detroit or Pittsburgh half a century or even a century ago. Big enough for major league sports, let alone hockey...yet they don't boost a long sports history.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Stephane Dumas

Bruce

Seattle's new NHL team got 25,000 season tickets deposits in the first two hours of going online. (KIRO)

I would think it's almost guaranteed once the arena is under active reconstruction, so the debate locally is switching to what the team's name/identity will be. A few domains have been registered, but a lot of them are mediocre or awfully cheesy. I'd like to see the Totems name revived, since they were nearly an NHL expansion team themselves in the 1970s and the name is very pan-Northwest and could add a little variety to our sports team names (Mariners, Seahawks, Sounders) that all revolve around water. Anything but sea life.

1995hoo

Stephane Dumas

The Maple Leafs lost against the Bruins. The Winnipeg Jets menaged to go to 2nd round and face the Nashville Predators.

Desert Man

The Calgary Flames, Carolina Hurricanes, Florida Panthers and Phoenix (now Arizona) Coyotes are most likely to relocate. The four cities interested in a future NHL team are Atlanta, Houston, Saskatoon and Tulsa OK. Future expansion cities are Quebec city and Seattle, but I believe Kansas City is the 34th, unless the NHL board thinks Houston as the largest city without a NHL team is more feasible, and who knows: Hartford, Connecticut.   

Flint1979

Quote from: Desert Man on April 29, 2018, 11:49:34 PM
The Calgary Flames, Carolina Hurricanes, Florida Panthers and Phoenix (now Arizona) Coyotes are most likely to relocate. The four cities interested in a future NHL team are Atlanta, Houston, Saskatoon and Tulsa OK. Future expansion cities are Quebec city and Seattle, but I believe Kansas City is the 34th, unless the NHL board thinks Houston as the largest city without a NHL team is more feasible, and who knows: Hartford, Connecticut.
Atlanta has already had it's chance, twice. Houston probably wouldn't draw very well, Saskatoon would be pretty cool and Tulsa with OKC already having the Thunder I don't know how well that'd do. Quebec City, Seattle and Hartford make more sense though.

Alps

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 30, 2018, 12:36:23 AM
Atlanta has already had it's chance, twice. Houston probably wouldn't draw very well, Saskatoon would be pretty cool and Tulsa with OKC already having the Thunder I don't know how well that'd do. Quebec City, Seattle and Hartford make more sense though.
I've heard Halifax bandied about.

Flint1979

Quote from: Alps on April 30, 2018, 12:36:40 AM
I've heard Halifax bandied about.
I'd support that too.

MisterSG1

The way Atlanta 2.0 was basically forked from the city was incredibly unfair. It's jarring when you compare the attendance figures from Winnipeg Jets 1.0 to Atlanta 2.0. You'll see that Winnipeg's highest year attendance wise in the past was HIGHER than Atlanta's lowest year attendance wise.

Desert Man

I fear contraction in the NHL to reduce the league to 3 teams (around 2020-21): the Coyotes, Flames, and Hurricanes are high risk, and they have to disperse the players to other 28 surviving teams. This is good for the more successful Edmonton Oilers, and the brand new (Las) Vegas Golden Knights. And the Florida Panthers have a larger sports market in Miami-South FL than what the Hurricanes have in the Carolinas-Virginias anyway.

Alps

Quote from: MisterSG1 on April 30, 2018, 11:08:29 AM

The way Atlanta 2.0 was basically forked from the city was incredibly unfair. It's jarring when you compare the attendance figures from Winnipeg Jets 1.0 to Atlanta 2.0. You'll see that Winnipeg's highest year attendance wise in the past was HIGHER than Atlanta's lowest year attendance wise.
Come again?
I mean, you're technically right. 13,620 is higher than 13,469. But it's a strange point to make.

Desert Man

My stanley cup predictions: either the Pens or Bruins win vs Golden Knights or Jets. The best scenario is a 3-peat cup champion vs an expansion team in the NHL's 101st season. But, what if the Jets are the first Canadian team to win the cup in a quarter a century? The last one was the 1993 Montreal Canadiens defeated the LA Kings with Wayne Gretzky. And the Bruins? Would look better than the Penguins winning again, or what if a cup in Vegas?

1995hoo

davewiecking

Where's that "like" button when I need it ??

ET21

Clinched:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.