News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Formal request to have two of my topics removed

Started by Shedingtonian, October 05, 2023, 03:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shedingtonian

In specific, both of my "in one thread" topics (this one and this one). The only reason is because I can host these in my own webpage. Please and thank you.
Fictional maps, road signs, video game projects... Visit Shedingtonian's Virtual Dump,
and read the blog to keep up to date with what's going on with me.

And yes, I'm still studying civil engineering.

LilianaUwU

I mean, my thread is pretty much a duplicate of my Fandom wiki... so I don't see why?
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

1995hoo

Nobody has responded in either thread, so why can't you delete them yourself? I thought the forum allows deleting the first post in a thread unless and until someone responds to it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 05, 2023, 03:40:34 PM
Nobody has responded in either thread, so why can't you delete them yourself? I thought the forum allows deleting the first post in a thread unless and until someone responds to it.

I was under the impression that there were previously some additional posts by the OP, but they removed all but the first (which couldn't be removed).
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

1995hoo

Quote from: 1 on October 05, 2023, 03:41:53 PM

I was under the impression that there were previously some additional posts by the OP, but they removed all but the first (which couldn't be removed).

Ah, I didn't realize that because when I looked at those two threads all I saw were the single posts.

Shedingtonian

Quote from: LilianaUwU on October 05, 2023, 03:35:11 PM
I mean, my thread is pretty much a duplicate of my Fandom wiki... so I don't see why?

I just think they're rather useless. The original post in the Fictional Highways topic was on Nov/21, and I forgot about it until a year later. And Road-Related Illustrations don't seem to be too many people's interest.

Besides, when I don't have university going on I have a job, and viceversa. I don't see myself updating those threads anywhere near often to be relevant, and I think it would be more convenient at least to have that progress that I make on my personal projects in my personal website.

Quote from: www.aaroads.com
An Error Has Occurred!
You cannot delete your own topics in this board. Check to make sure this topic wasn't just moved to another board.
This message appears in both topics.

Quote from: 1 on October 05, 2023, 03:41:53 PM

That is correct.
Fictional maps, road signs, video game projects... Visit Shedingtonian's Virtual Dump,

1995hoo

The explanation "1" gave is correct—once there has been any reply to a thread (even your own reply), you can't delete the thread yourself. I just didn't realize there had been other posts.

Shedingtonian

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 05, 2023, 03:50:24 PM
The explanation "1" gave is correct—once there has been any reply to a thread (even your own reply), you can't delete the thread yourself. I just didn't realize there had been other posts.

That doesn't make sense for the Road-Related Illustrations topic, there hasn't been a single reply to it, be it mine or someone else's.

webny99

While this is true, you still can't delete it even if there have never been any replies. I've tried myself on multiple different threads dating back a few years ago, and have never been able to do it.

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on October 05, 2023, 03:57:02 PM

While this is true, you still can't delete it even if there have never been any replies. I've tried myself on multiple different threads dating back a few years ago, and have never been able to do it.

Interesting. I'm positive I recall one of the moderators said once that you can delete it if there haven't been any replies. Maybe something changed.

vdeane

Perhaps you could simply edit the OPs to say that you're now hosting that content on your website instead?  Then the threads would simply help point people there instead of leaving people thinking that you might add to them.

Or you could always contact the web host with a DMCA complaint. :bigass:
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Max Rockatansky

Beat me to that quip on the DMCA business.  :rolleyes:

That said, what is "formal" about this and why is it necessary?  There are so many other ways of solving this problem than making a public declaration over it.  Even a PM to a forum admin would have been far more tactful than this. 

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 05, 2023, 08:41:36 PM
a PM to a forum admin

That's what I was thinking.  Why make a thread?

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 05, 2023, 08:41:52 PM
Done.

Does this thread even need to exist anymore?  Unlocked, especially?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Shedingtonian

Quote from: kphoger on October 06, 2023, 09:30:10 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 05, 2023, 08:41:36 PM
a PM to a forum admin

That's what I was thinking.  Why make a thread?

Because I don't know how to send a PM. Now that I think about it, I figure it's the speech bubble under someone's avatar.

As for "formal request", I meant it as a figure of speech. I thought those words go together in all cases.

Quote from: kphoger on October 06, 2023, 09:30:10 AM
Does this thread even need to exist anymore?  Unlocked, especially?

Not really, no.

kphoger

Quote from: Shedingtonian on October 06, 2023, 09:50:31 AM
I don't know how to send a PM. Now that I think about it, I figure it's the speech bubble under someone's avatar.

Oh, yeah.  I guess that's a thing.

Or you can just go to the [MY MESSAGES] tab and then [New Message].
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Shedingtonian

Quote from: kphoger on October 06, 2023, 10:08:57 AM
Quote from: Shedingtonian on October 06, 2023, 09:50:31 AM
I don't know how to send a PM. Now that I think about it, I figure it's the speech bubble under someone's avatar.

Oh, yeah.  I guess that's a thing.

Or you can just go to the [MY MESSAGES] tab and then [New Message].

Thanks. I'll do that next time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.