The Worst of Road Signs

Started by Scott5114, September 21, 2010, 04:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Probably just bad application of vinyl stickers. It's easy to bend them if you don't give a shit what you're doing.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cjk374

I found this 4-digit parish route sign done by LaDOTD the other day. Parish roads by interstate interchanges are the only ones that DOTD ever provides signage for. This is not a worst of, just a comparison.

Webster Parish 1107 @ US 371 & I-20 by Jess Kilgore, on Flickr
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

1995hoo

Vermont Avenue in DC. The reason I put this in "Worst of"  is because if you look closely, you'll see the same error on the other sign to the left.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brian556

Quote from: Brandon on February 13, 2018, 04:01:24 PM
Quote from: formulanone on February 13, 2018, 02:37:28 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 12, 2018, 10:39:16 PM
Does his CR 5201 shield in Cullman County, AL qualify?
CR 5201 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Yeah, Cullman County lays a few eggs, considering they layout many thousands of county shields...they probably just run out of small numerals, and cut up some larger ones, even though they don't fit.

Did they heat these up before applying them?  it looks like most of the numbers have been melted first.

They are probably made from normal sheeting, not the old kind that requires heat. That went away long ago. It is not easy at all to apply letters/numbers individually. Now take into consideration that the workers that make these probably don't give near as much of a shit about signs as we do, and they are probably lazy, low skilled workers to begin with, this is the result.

Android

arr, well, sheeting and shitting, it all seems like crap to me. 
-Andy T. Not much of a fan of Clearview

Scott5114

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 14, 2018, 09:18:27 AM
Vermont Avenue in DC. The reason I put this in "Worst of"  is because if you look closely, you'll see the same error on the other sign to the left.

Not only that, it's stretched-out Series B, just like ODOT likes to do. Bad find!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TBKS1

Somewhere in Pulaski County, Arkansas. (You can't find this on Google Street View)

Very ugly stop ahead sign

by TBKS1, on Flickr

This looks like it was made in MS paint or something similar.
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: TBKS1 on March 04, 2018, 07:54:56 PM
Somewhere in Pulaski County, Arkansas. (You can't find this on Google Street View)

Very ugly stop ahead sign

by TBKS1, on Flickr

This looks like it was made in MS paint or something similar.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

ThatTenneseeRoadgeek

ThatTenneseeRoadgeek

Quote from: hbelkins on December 03, 2011, 03:37:14 PM
Tennessee has a pretty good approach to its primary route markers. They all incorporate the state outline with the state name at the bottom of the sign, and Tennessee is wider than it is tall. their solution is to sign all primary state routes (1-, 2- or 3-digit) in a wide sign, generally 24x30".

I'd put the state outline and name at the top of the sign, but the current design may be a throwback to the days when all state routes were signed with a triangle with "TENN" below the route number.

And for illustrative purposes about state outline designs, I present:

Brandon

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 21, 2010, 04:01:21 AM
Post the worst, most ineptly put together pieces of crap in your state. Not just "oh, it's in Clearview", "wrong type of shield", or "it's a bubble shield" or anything like that. We're talking pure, unadulterated suck here. Stuff that makes you wonder what they were thinking. Stuff that should only result from a night of binge drinking at the sign shop. Like this!

Been there, saw that, it's even worse in person.  Whomever from ODOT made that abomination took the letters from two entirely different bins and slapped them together.  It's almost as if it were a dare to make the worst road sign one could come up with.  Reminds me of a bad ransom note you see on TV or in the movies.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

JMoses24

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 01, 2018, 02:58:01 PM

The right panel is another ODOT special. The more you look at it the worse it gets.

I think I saw that one in January coming back from a quick trip to Dallas. Yikes.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

thenetwork

cjk374

Flippin is a nice town. Been through there on the old route.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

TBKS1

I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

cl94

I-87 SB in Colonie, NY. Yeah, I think NYSDOT's Albany County residency is trying to compete with ODOT for crappy signs.

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Jim

Quote from: cl94 on April 02, 2018, 10:58:02 AM
I-87 SB in Colonie, NY. Yeah, I think NYSDOT's Albany County residency is trying to compete with ODOT for crappy signs.

I drive by that almost daily and have been meaning to get a good picture for months.  Any time I've had my camera with me it seems it's been dark, rainy, snowy, backlit, my windshield's dirty, or the traffic's too heavy for me to feel comfortable trying to get a picture.  Glad it's finally been shamed appropriately in this thread.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

formulanone

Quote from: Jim on April 02, 2018, 02:21:23 PM

I drive by that almost daily and have been meaning to get a good picture for months.  Any time I've had my camera with me it seems it's been dark, rainy, snowy, backlit, my windshield's dirty, or the traffic's too heavy for me to feel comfortable trying to get a picture.  Glad it's finally been shamed appropriately in this thread.

I was going to assume that sign was an April Fool's joke courtesy of MS Paint.

I can see how the wrong font might wind up on a last-second patch job, but the combination of two different font families takes the cake.

cl94

Quote from: formulanone on April 02, 2018, 06:51:37 PM
Quote from: Jim on April 02, 2018, 02:21:23 PM

I was going to assume that sign was an April Fool's joke courtesy of MS Paint.

I can see how the wrong font might wind up on a last-second patch job, but the combination of two different font families takes the cake.

If it's an April Fool's joke, it went up about 5 months too early. And it's three font families. Not a patch job, either.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

At least the new exit 4 SB gore sign the residency installed, just a couple miles north of there, looks fine.

Given some of the recent signs in Saratoga County and the infamous ones in Region 9, I don't think this is limited to the Albany County Residency.  I expect residency signs will get more common since many Regions have stopped doing sign rehab projects to save money.

(personal opinion)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: US71 on March 25, 2018, 08:22:10 PM

Flippin, AR

It looks like someone didn't flippin' care to make the route shields correctly.  :no:  :-D
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Brandon

What a fugly POS.  I thought New York was usually better than that.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

UCFKnights

I-4 in Orlando as part of the Ultimate redo project. I hope its temporary lol

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.